New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Dylan Cozens locked up for 7 years at 7.1 million/year cap hit. The Sabres have now locked up their top two centers of the future to identical, team friendly contracts. 

Thompson extension was announced over the summer and he'll also be a 7.1 million cap hit. 

Bra-fvcking-vo to Sabres GM Kevyn Adams. Following the Fitz model for success. 

Both deals are bargains for what both players bring to the table. Young studs locked up through much of their good prime years. 

I am terrified the Devil's will have to go through these guys to get to the Cup. 

You look at Dahlin, Power, Cozens, Thompson, Tuch, and Samuelsson as a 3rd defenseman. They just need UP Luukonen or Eric Comrie to break out and this looks like the Devils. I've heard rumors about Demko to PIT or BUF. 

5 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Trouba was dropping bodies like it was the 90s.  I wouldn’t want Jack to take a hit like that.  Rangers could very well be the Devils first round match.  Yes, I’m all in emotionally.  Playoffs or bust.

And as much as we all talk about bringing Meier aboard, I sure wouldn't mind the Devils bringing in some physicality and muscle.  Because Trouba will absolutely target Hughes or Nico or Bratt, I have no doubts about that.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

Dylan Cozens locked up for 7 years at 7.1 million/year cap hit. The Sabres have now locked up their top two centers of the future to identical, team friendly contracts. 

Thompson extension was announced over the summer and he'll also be a 7.1 million cap hit. 

Both deals are bargains for what both players bring to the table. Young studs locked up through much of their good prime years. 

I am terrified the Devil's will have to go through these guys to get to the Cup. 

You look at Dahlin, Power, Cozens, Thompson, Tuch, and Samuelsson as a 3rd defenseman. They just need UP Luukonen or Eric Comrie to break out and this looks like the Devils. I've heard rumors about Demko to PIT or BUF. 

The bolded is exactly the way to do it...once your kids show signs of being studs while still young, do your best not to fvck around with bridge deals...take your chances and lock 'em up...as risky as long-term deals will ALWAYS be, you sure have a better chance to have it work out when your player still has several years left in his 20s.

Yeah, down the line you might have to say a painful goodbye if they later insist on getting one last mega-payday, but chances are you got their most productive and most cost-effective seasons.  That's all that you can ask. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And as much as we all talk about bringing Meier aboard, I sure wouldn't mind the Devils bringing in some physicality and muscle.  Because Trouba will absolutely target Hughes or Nico or Bratt, I have no doubts about that.  

I think Smith and Okhotyuk are what we have at this point... I don't see us going out and getting a Ryan Reaves to play in Bastians spot. I don't see us grabbing a Bjugstad either. 

If will have to come in the form of a roster player, not some dedicated tough guy. 

A roster player than can beat McLeod or Bastian or Wood for their spot. Maybe you bring in that player and wood moves up to line 3. Idk. 

Edited by RizzMB30

30 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

This makes the uncertainty with Bratt all the more concerning.  

I love Bratt and all but not at 8mill(+) I'm hoping for 7.. it's in his court. He's honestly a secondary scorer, he's invincible allot. Hughes is carrying this team offensively. Timmo Meirs is the exact player this team needs. Takes a load off of Hughes and addes a truly dynamic player. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muevelos said:

I love Bratt and all but not at 8mill(+) I'm hoping for 7.. it's in his court. He's honestly a secondary scorer, he's invincible allot. Hughes is carrying this team offensively. Timmo Meirs is the exact player this team needs. Takes a load off of Hughes and addes a truly dynamic player. 

Bratt on the open market is getting $8.5 easy, unfortunately. Not saying i disagree with you.

If we lose Bratt in 2 summers, we MUST replace him and having a forward like Meier in the fold already would help that potential sting.

5 hours ago, jagknife said:

Bratt on the open market is getting $8.5 easy, unfortunately. Not saying i disagree with you.

If we lose Bratt in 2 summers, we MUST replace him and having a forward like Meier in the fold already would help that potential sting.

Your first point, Jesper on the open market is making minimum over 8, that's why if the Devils can make the trade for Meier they should offer the same deal to both.

8.2 or 8 or 8.5 whatever it is, let their agents know they want both of them signed to set this team up to be among the best in the league for the next 8 years.

Nico & Jack are locked up, Luke and Simon are cost controlled for the next 3 to 5 years, these two wingers can be the final pieces or they can not.

I think with Timo there is no trade unless he agrees to a deal, and if Bratt does not want to sign, you let him know that once the season ends unless he comes back to the team and agrees, they have no choice but to shop him for the best offer with of course his agent having the same opportunity to discuss a deal with whatever team the Devils get the best offer from.

I do this even without Meier being traded here, it makes things way more complicated as unless they finally give Holtz a chance they would then need to get 2 guys, but you can't let Bratt or Meier or anyone mess up what the team is building.

If Bratt was on pace for a 40 goal 100 point season the discussion would be different, and Timo might cost more than 8.5 but I am hoping Nico being here and if Bratt agrees the thought of everyone buying in would be a good thing.

Of course agents and or players themselves can decide to get the most they can get, but lets hope not.

8 hours ago, Muevelos said:

Who knows what it would take.  If 7m is the number, then Fitz was offering less than 7m last summer.  If Fitz offered 7m, and they couldn’t make a deal, then Bratt and his agent are looking for north of 8m.  I doubt they could meet in the middle and agree on 7.5.

Could it be term?  I don’t think it’s term.  I’m sure they both want the security of 8years.  On the other hand, Bratt will be 25 this summer this might be his one and only big contract if he signs for 8.  He will be 33 at the end of the contract.

Could it be an NMC?  Only Palat and Hamilton have NMC contracts.  Hughes and Nico have M-NTCs that go in effect the last 3 years.

I think it’s a combination of both term and money.

I could see Bratt wanting 4 years, crazy as that sounds…the Devils would be signing up for his Age 25-28 seasons, and then he’d potentially get the chance for another huge payday once he’s 29.  I could see him REALLY trying to cash in at that point, as far as term goes.

I’d actually be OK with this…the Devils don’t necessarily have to lock up EVERYONE for 7-8 years.  It also sets up some flexibility down the road…maybe the Devils have a better chance to keep both L Hughes and Nemec down the line once their ELCs are up, as an example.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I could see Bratt wanting 4 years, crazy as that sounds…the Devils would be signing up for his Age 25-28 seasons, and then he’d potentially get the chance for another huge payday once he’s 29.  I could see him REALLY trying to cash in at that point, as far as term goes.

I’d actually be OK with this…the Devils don’t necessarily have to lock up EVERYONE for 7-8 years.  It also sets up some flexibility down the road…maybe the Devils have a better chance to keep both L Hughes and Nemec down the line once their ELCs are up, as an example.  

That would be a bad deal for the Devils and one I would think they would have to decide if they should trade him instead of giving him that type of deal of give him it and understand it means in 3 or 4 years they would be right back where they are now with him

There is no issue with the future of the Cap and the team even if they can trade for Meier and sign him and Jesper, that's what the two young defenseman and honestly probably a 3rd young one will do for their Cap health.

They have a lot of young players in the system and they will have to fill the roles of the Haula and Tatar types if they can do that.

Now if they were to give Bratt  short term deal then you're looking at Bratt, Luke and Simon all getting new deals around the same time even if the two D just get bridge deals if Bratt continues on this path his salary at 29 would be in the Johnny Hockey range and that's not even taking into account a Mercer who if he's not traded will command a decent type deal in that time frame as well.

The only way I give Bratt that type of deal is if he is giving them a discount, so if he wants another major deal at 29, he's not getting higher than what Jack is making right now.

The players they draft this year, the role guys from the last few drafts maybe a Stillman or a Bardakov, they will be invaluable to filling the bottom of the line-up, or you wind up having to trade your high picks at each deadline plus prospects and get the trading team to eat the salary if you don't fill the bottom 6 from the system.

It's why they keep drafting goalies too, they are invaluable, if Dawes and Schmid are both legit they are really good trade assets, well at least one of them and you keep the other.

Edited by Patrick Sundstrom Ghost

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I honestly hadn’t given the 4-5 year deal a though cause I’d been obsessed with “sign him as long as possible.” I’d be okay with 3-5 years at 8.5

I don't think Bratt's camp wants a short term deal.  He could get hurt tomorrow and never be the same, leaving like $25m+ on the table.  He needs to lock up as much term now as he can.  GMs like the shorter term deals and I think Fitz would be make that happen in a heartbeat if he could, especially with what's coming up in the pipeline, salary-wise.  It would be a gift if Fitz could trade Bratt in 3 or 4 years when Nico and Jack are peaking (and Dawson, Luke, Nemec are all looking for bigger contracts) and turn his $9m or whatever into some more cost controlled, bright, young prospects.

3 hours ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

That would be a bad deal for the Devils and one I would think they would have to decide if they should trade him instead of giving him that type of deal of give him it and understand it means in 3 or 4 years they would be right back where they are now with him

There is no issue with the future of the Cap and the team even if they can trade for Meier and sign him and Jesper, that's what the two young defenseman and honestly probably a 3rd young one will do for their Cap health.

They have a lot of young players in the system and they will have to fill the roles of the Haula and Tatar types if they can do that.

Now if they were to give Bratt  short term deal then you're looking at Bratt, Luke and Simon all getting new deals around the same time even if the two D just get bridge deals if Bratt continues on this path his salary at 29 would be in the Johnny Hockey range and that's not even taking into account a Mercer who if he's not traded will command a decent type deal in that time frame as well.

The only way I give Bratt that type of deal is if he is giving them a discount, so if he wants another major deal at 29, he's not getting higher than what Jack is making right now.

The players they draft this year, the role guys from the last few drafts maybe a Stillman or a Bardakov, they will be invaluable to filling the bottom of the line-up, or you wind up having to trade your high picks at each deadline plus prospects and get the trading team to eat the salary if you don't fill the bottom 6 from the system.

It's why they keep drafting goalies too, they are invaluable, if Dawes and Schmid are both legit they are really good trade assets, well at least one of them and you keep the other.

The cap won’t be an issue for the next few years with L Hughes and Nemec on ELCs.  We’ll see where the Devils are then…keep in mind they’re getting bargain-level goaltending right now as well.  But I definitely don’t think ya gotta go 7-8 years for everyone…maybe it’s only 4-6 years for Bratt, if he sticks around.

I was also looking at it from Bratt’s camp…maybe THEY want another opportunity to nab another payday, where yeah, like with Gaudreau, someone signs up for his Age 29-35 (or 36) seasons and that winds up being his big long term cash-in, as opposed to wanting 8 years right now (even though that would obviously be a risk, assuming of course Fitz wants to lock him up to the max length).  

And yeah apart from Nemec, will be interesting to see what bottom-pair and lower-six pieces that come out of Utica…or if a guy like Stillman can claim a spot there.  Those are the slots that you can hopefully replace from within to help keep costs down a little.  

On 2/7/2023 at 2:05 PM, Puckbuster said:

Trouba was dropping bodies like it was the 90s.  I wouldn’t want Jack to take a hit like that.  Rangers could very well be the Devils first round match.  Yes, I’m all in emotionally.  Playoffs or bust.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/flames-tanev-scraps-with-rangers-trouba-after-hit-on-dube/

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/rangers-trouba-lays-out-flames-kadri-with-massive-hit-before-fighting-dube/

That's a textbook open-ice hit on Kadri, wow. And, he pounded Dube, who dropped the gloves in retaliation. Savage. 

Yeah, this is a wake-up call that the Devils need to get tougher.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

That's a textbook open-ice hit on Kadri, wow. And, he pounded Dube, who dropped the gloves in retaliation. Savage. 

Yeah, this is a wake-up call that the Devils need to get tougher.

There’s really nothing you can do to combat hits like that other than just keeping your head up. A guy like Trouba is not going to change the way he plays because the other team is “tough.”

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

There’s really nothing you can do to combat hits like that other than just keeping your head up. A guy like Trouba is not going to change the way he plays because the other team is “tough.”

Yeah, I suppose not. Trouba's not exactly picking out a weak player by hitting Kadri, who has been known to throw a hit himself. It's impressive.

8 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Yeah, I suppose not. Trouba's not exactly picking out a weak player by hitting Kadri, who has been known to throw a hit himself. It's impressive.

I hate Trouba more than any Rag since Avery but that hit looked like vintage #4. It’s all the elbowing and head hunting that makes him a PoS. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I have no problem with the hits.  However, the league can’t be wishywashy on hits like this.  If this is the hockey the league wants, then expect to see stars like Lindros and Kariya get crushed.

What troubles me, is that for over a decade the league was promoting a skill game without the fights and the big open ice hits.  Now, we have Trouba dropping bodies like the second coming of Stevens.  I don’t think most teams are built that way and I don’t think as fans we are to expect these kind of hits and that is why the NHL network was talking about it for two days.  What’s next?  Enforcers on every team.

The league needs to make a decision.  Is it a skill game or do teams bring back the goons.

31 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

There is nothing that can be done because the league wants a skill game, but never addressed how to prevent that kind of hit to protect players from injury.  Fortunately, both hits didn’t result in serious injury.

11 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

There is nothing that can be done because the league wants a skill game, but never addressed how to prevent that kind of hit to protect players from injury.  Fortunately, both hits didn’t result in serious injury.

Why do we need to prevent that kind of hit? Those hits aren't limited to just Trouba and the Wilsons of the world, they're just THAT memorable cause the guys are big. Teams that win can hit and they hit hard: Tampa, Colorado, Washington all hit and made teams grind series. Trouba for once had a solid clean hit that did not warrant a retaliatory fight.

You can have both, but the way your post comes across is you either want to outlaw hitting, or, alternatively based on your previous post, you want more brawls after the hits but want the league to have enforcers again.

There's nothing wrong with letting the guys play a skill game, have to keep their heads up like we're all taught the second we lace up skates, AND teams should stop with the honor fighting after the fact. Don't like that your guy just got his bell rung? Go out there and hit him back.

• Like 1

Certainly doesn't look like this was staged but at the start of the video you can see the mascot holding the Tampa fans jersey and the end of the video you can see the Tampa fan pick his own Tampa jersey back up so looks like the mascot took the guys jersey first and the guy in turn grabbed the mascots jersey lol guy definitely looks and sounds toasted. I'd give them 5 mins each for fighting and call it a day lol... 

https://nypost.com/2023/02/09/florida-panthers-investigating-fight-between-lightning-fan-and-mascot/

Edited by Satans Hockey

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Certainly doesn't look like this was staged but at the start of the video you can see the mascot holding the Tampa fans jersey and the end of the video you can see the Tampa fan pick his own Tampa jersey back up so looks like the mascot took the guys jersey first and the guy in turn grabbed the mascots jersey lol guy definitely looks and sounds toasted. I'd give them 5 mins each for fighting and call it a day lol... 

https://nypost.com/2023/02/09/florida-panthers-investigating-fight-between-lightning-fan-and-mascot/

The handler just standing there watching was some early days Crosby stuff. Help your boy (or girl)!

• Haha 1