New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Damn, this is harsh...love it love it love it lmao:

Alexis Lafreniere’s preseason has been unfathomably bad — here’s what Rangers should do about it (msn.com)

The truth that Alexis Lafreniere has not earned a top-six assignment through his work during training camp and his first three exhibition games is self-evident. One can argue that the lad from Saint-Eustache has not even earned a spot on the roster.

I, like Hall of Fame announcer Jack Buck when Kirk Gibson went deep against Dennis Eckersley in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series, cannot believe what I have seen. Granted the opportunity to nail down the first-line assignment on right wing, Lafreniere seems to be shrinking under the low wattage of the preseason.

It’s not that No. 13 — who will turn 22 the day before the Oct. 12 opener in Buffalo — hasn’t looked like a first-overall draft selection on the verge of a breakout season, it’s that for the most part Lafreniere has looked like an undrafted invitee to training camp on a tryout. Matt Rempe — a sixth-round pick in 2020 – made more of a positive impression before he was sent out to Hartford last weekend.

Keep in mind, there's a group of Ranger fans who've been insisting all along that if this stiff simply got the same kind of playing time that Jack was, well, he'd be just as successful dammit!  Well, he's doing what exactly, with this golden opportunity he's been handed?

fvck the Rangers, fvck Lafreniere, and fvck their fans.  

He will never be good in rangers. In any role.  He would be better in other organisation,  but he is far far from Jack.

Overall rangers are stupid organisation. They drafted talented left handed wingers Anderson and Kravtsov by their high picks, when they already had Kreider and Buchnevich. They signed Panarin. They traded Buchnevich for peanuts when he was 0.8-0.9 ppg player. They ruined development of Kravtson and Anderson. They drafted talented left handed wingers Kakko and Lafrenier by their high picks, when they already had Kreider and Panarin. They are ruining development of Lafrenier. They drafted Cuylee and Othmann in the second or first round - they are talented left handed wingers. When they already had Kreider, Panarin, Kakko and Lafreniere. And on the very talented 2023 draft they drafted Perreault - talented left handed winger with very questionable skating.

I wish them all the worst 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Shameful. 

But not at all surprising.  It just keeps dragging on.

8 minutes ago, nessus said:

It would be hilarious if the Rangers end up trading Laf. So many fans are on board. You just know he's the type of player to join another organization and immediately becoming an effective player.

Idk I just don’t ever see anything special when I watch him play. He’s barely even noticeable half the time. 

Kakko I at least notice. Not you’re really happy about a #2OA forward being merely a 40-50 point decent-ish 2-way guy. The funny thing I’m seeing now is people claiming those were just “weak drafts.”

Just off the top of my head the Rags could have had: 

Seider, Cozens, Zegras, Caufield, Stutzle, Sanderson, etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Idk I just don’t ever see anything special when I watch him play. He’s barely even noticeable half the time. 

Kakko I at least notice. Not you’re really happy about a #2OA forward being merely a 40-50 point decent-ish 2-way guy. The funny thing I’m seeing now is people claiming those were just “weak drafts.”

Don’t forget Mercer ;)

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah. 2020 was very good and very deep  draft. 2019 was a great draft in the top. 

Thats fun how rangers "robbed" us with Schneider, and after that Fitz didn't take a pause and immediately taken his guy, after  he told that they scouted Amirov(R.I.P.) and were fascinated by Mukhamadullin. Who was great in KHL, close to be ppg defenseman in AHL and was center piece in 30-40 goals scorer Meier trade even instead of Holtz(if sj would want winger prospect Holtz they easily would trade for him in the trade of winger Meier, but from every offers from the league SJ preferred Mukhamadullin, late first round pick and depth player and depth prospect), and Schneider is mediocre and doesn't show any flashes of potential top 4 defenseman. 

They were just bad with strategy or/and with scouting on the draft. I liked Othmann a lot. Sykora too. But there is a big chance they will ruin them too. 

I think Kakko could be much better than what he is. He is already playing good too way game, win board battles and find himself in good positions in different situations. He is smart guy, even if he isn't too. But he should play on his wing with good center all the kinutes he deserves to be 70 points guy, not 40-50 points third liner on the wrong side. 

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

Speaking of Muk, apparently he had a very good preseason, but is going to the AHL mostly because Quinn & Co want him to get tons of minutes in as many situations as possible.  But Quinn was absolutely raving about him.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Speaking of Muk, apparently he had a very good preseason, but is going to the AHL mostly because Quinn & Co want him to get tons of minutes in as many situations as possible.  But Quinn was absolutely raving about him.

He was sent to ahl because they have players on nhl deals. Overall I don’t understand what they are doing. They need to give their young forwards and defensemen time in nhl for experience and win draft position. Shakir will learn nothing from ahl. Thrun will not barely too. 

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

He was sent to ahl because they have players on nhl deals. Overall I don’t understand what they are doing. They need to give their young forwards and defensemen time in nhl for experience and win draft position. Shakir will learn nothing from ahl. Thrun will not barely too. 

They do have nine defensemen under contract (according to Capfriendly).  Yeah regardless of what Quinn said, that has to be a factor, re:  Muk headed to the AHL.

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

steal. of. the. draft.

Assuming he has a year similar to this last one, I’m thinking he signs a Zegras-like extension.  I get the feeling he won’t be getting the uber-longterm deal this time around (maybe later, like Bratt).

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Assuming he has a year similar to this last one, I’m thinking he signs a Zegras-like extension.  I get the feeling he won’t be getting the uber-longterm deal this time around (maybe later, like Bratt).

hmm...I could see him doing a 3yrs x 5m, 4yrs x 6m, or 3 years x 6m. That gives us time to clear up the cap space for a 8yrs x 7m for Mercer. 

40 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

hmm...I could see him doing a 3yrs x 5m, 4yrs x 6m, or 3 years x 6m. That gives us time to clear up the cap space for a 8yrs x 7m for Mercer. 

Gotta see if he's already reached his ceiling...the cap is going up, and $7 million AAV might not get it done by the time he'd be up for another contract.  

Not that any of this is urgent at the moment, and of course a LOT can happen between now and four years from now, but if Dawson does sign a three-year extension, he would be up for a new deal just as Nico and Dougie are set to become UFAs (ditto some others, like Marino, if they're still Devils).  I've mentioned it before but I suspect Dougie will be dealt with a year or two left on his deal, to try to create cap space (and hopefully by this time both Luke and Nemec are entering their primes and are locked up to reasonable deals).

If Dawson's locked up to 3 years at $5.5 - 6 million AAV, I'll be happy with that.  It makes sense for both sides...Devils would keep him at a reasonable cost, and he'd have a shot at a nice, long-term raise later, while still in his prime.  The Devils would have about $15.5 - 16 million left in cap space to sign five forwards, two defensemen, and a goalie for 2024-25.  The good news is that even if the Devils decided to re-sign Toffoli to reasonable money (say right where he is right now, $4.25 million AAV), and Schmid earned himself a raise, most of this remaining money would be going to bottom-line players, and one of the two defensemen is going to be Nemec at ELC money; the other defenseman would figure to be more a depth guy.  The Devils are really in pretty good shape from a cap standpoint for a while.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Gotta see if he's already reached his ceiling...the cap is going up, and $7 million AAV might not get it done by the time he'd be up for another contract.  

Not that any of this is urgent at the moment, and of course a LOT can happen between now and four years from now, but if Dawson does sign a three-year extension, he would be up for a new deal just as Nico and Dougie are set to become UFAs (ditto some others, like Marino, if they're still Devils).  I've mentioned it before but I suspect Dougie will be dealt with a year or two left on his deal, to try to create cap space (and hopefully by this time both Luke and Nemec are entering their primes and are locked up to reasonable deals).

If Dawson's locked up to 3 years at $5.5 - 6 million AAV, I'll be happy with that.  It makes sense for both sides...Devils would keep him at a reasonable cost, and he'd have a shot at a nice, long-term raise later, while still in his prime.  The Devils would have about $15.5 - 16 million left in cap space to sign five forwards, two defensemen, and a goalie for 2024-25.  The good news is that even if the Devils decided to re-sign Toffoli to reasonable money (say right where he is right now, $4.25 million AAV), and Schmid earned himself a raise, most of this remaining money would be going to bottom-line players, and one of the two defensemen is going to be Nemec at ELC money; the other defenseman would figure to be more a depth guy.  The Devils are really in pretty good shape from a cap standpoint for a while.

Devils should sign Mercer long term. In his interests to sign good amount of money to his 28-29 years. If he will sign short term deal, he will lose money and term on his next deal. He doesn’t hit his ceiling, he is very young and looks better this preseason. Devils should sign him long term, because there are Nemec and Luke deal ahead, they need to save cap after the next three years. Because of Nemec and future Hischier deals. 
But I will be not surprised if he will sign short term. May be he wants more than 8 mil(math is about sign 6.5+ for more years will give you more money, especially if player will be younger for sign next long term, than sign for less money on short term, sign long term and then be older enough to not sign next long term), if he feels that he can produce on ppg level, he can sign 6.5 mil deal now(if he will have 30g 30a+) for three years and make another step, produce on ppg level and sign 9+ mil deal. If he is ppg player, it’s a good problem to have him u detr the cap for more money. Again, reason why I’m for sign him long term. It doesn’t mean Mercer thinks in the same direction or Fitz may be want to go all in and sign him short term and save some money for depth now.
Overall I think it’s not done and it will depend on the development of events. 

Toffoli will not sign friendly deal. It’s his career opportunity to sign good deal, he isn’t young, he didn’t have much money, he is already a player with the ring. I would say it is reasonable to wait something the same Killorn  signed. It’s too much for devils cap hit. Of course if will sign for the same he has now for two three years, it’s a no brain decision. I just don’t see background.

Overall I agree that we are in a good shape, we have talented young players to fill the roster, most players signed on the friendly deals. I believe Bratt will outproduce his deal this year easily. Jack is outproduced it from the first season. Meier, if he will be consistent 35 goals scorer and active hitter, will ouproduce/match his deal. If he will be 40 g/per 82 games player, he will outproduce it with a margin. Nico is 9-10mil player last year. And I don’t think he will be worser player from what he did last season, may be 70-75 points.

Devils have everything to compete for Stanley cup, now they need to gain experience.We have better team than what we had in 2012, now Fitz should save the core and find good complimentary pieces on the short terms and low cap hit. Like he did with Graves, Tatar, Toffoli and Haula now. 

Edited by Guadana

50 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Devils should sign Mercer long term. In his interests to sign good amount of money to his 28-29 years. If he will sign short term deal, he will lose money and term on his next deal. He doesn’t hit his ceiling, he is very young and looks better this preseason. Devils should sign him long term, because there are Nemec and Luke deal ahead, they need to save cap after the next three years. Because of Nemec and future Hischier deals. 
But I will be not surprised if he will sign short term. May be he wants more than 8 mil(math is about sign 6.5+ for more years will give you more money, especially if player will be younger for sign next long term, than sign for less money on short term, sign long term and then be older enough to not sign next long term), if he feels that he can produce on ppg level, he can sign 6.5 mil deal now(if he will have 30g 30a+) for three years and make another step, produce on ppg level and sign 9+ mil deal. If he is ppg player, it’s a good problem to have him u detr the cap for more money. Again, reason why I’m for sign him long term. It doesn’t mean Mercer thinks in the same direction or Fitz may be want to go all in and sign him short term and save some money for depth now.
Overall I think it’s not done and it will depend on the development of events. 

Toffoli will not sign friendly deal. It’s his career opportunity to sign good deal, he isn’t young, he didn’t have much money, he is already a player with the ring. I would say it is reasonable to wait something the same Killorn  signed. It’s too much for devils cap hit. Of course if will sign for the same he has now for two three years, it’s a no brain decision. I just don’t see background.

Overall I agree that we are in a good shape, we have talented young players to fill the roster, most players signed on the friendly deals. I believe Bratt will outproduce his deal this year easily. Jack is outproduced it from the first season. Meier, if he will be consistent 35 goals scorer and active hitter, will ouproduce/match his deal. If he will be 40 g/per 82 games player, he will outproduce it with a margin. Nico is 9-10mil player last year. And I don’t think he will be worser player from what he did last season, may be 70-75 points.

Devils have everything to compete for Stanley cup, now they need to gain experience.We have better team than what we had in 2012, now Fitz should save the core and find good complimentary pieces on the short terms and low cap hit. Like he did with Graves, Tatar, Toffoli and Haula now. 

re:  Mercer, he is about to enter his Age 22 season.  At max term, the Devils would be signing up for his Age 23-30 years...if he took 8 years at $6.5 million AAV, I'd be thrilled, and I suspect Fitz would be too.  I just don't see much reason for Dawson to do that though...the cap figures to go up, and there's a very good chance that we haven't seen his best yet.  If he signed a three-year deal, that would take him to the end of his Age 25 season...if he signed an 8-year deal at that point, that would cover his Age 26-33 years.  Yeah, he'd be getting up there by the end, but not like a guy who's 26 - 28 never gets a max-term deal (see Severson, Damon).

He could easily wind up with well over $8 million AAV as a soon-to-be 26-year-old, quite possibly more depending on the cap ceiling at that point.  Unless he REALLY wants to help out the Devils THAT much, I just don't see him leaving that much money on the table.  Maybe if he's shredding it this season and is at or close to a PPG, Fitz starts considering around $7 million AAV to entice Dawson to stay for at least 6 more years.

re:  Toffoli, he's more of a "You know our situation, I can't pony up for everyone, I have kids I need to keep, we'd love to keep you, but if you want top dollar, I don't have it to give to you" guy.  He can stick around for 2-3 years at a discount if he's willing to take a minimal raise (say $4.5 million AAV), but if he wants, say, 4+ years at over $5 million AAV, well, thanks for being a stopgap, but we can't afford you.  Of course if Holtz takes huge steps forward, the idea of hanging on to Toffoli is much more of a luxury than a real urgency.

Yeah the fact that so many players are locked up to less-than-their-actual hits is huge...considering the amount of talent in house, the Devils definitely have a reasonable amount of flexibility.  This team may very well represent the best production and talent for the money in the NHL, really.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

re:  Mercer, he is about to enter his Age 22 season.  At max term, the Devils would be signing up for his Age 23-30 years...if he took 8 years at $6.5 million AAV, I'd be thrilled, and I suspect Fitz would be too.  I just don't see much reason for Dawson to do that though...the cap figures to go up, and there's a very good chance that we haven't seen his best yet.  If he signed a three-year deal, that would take him to the end of his Age 25 season...if he signed an 8-year deal at that point, that would cover his Age 26-33 years.  Yeah, he'd be getting up there by the end, but not like a guy who's 26 - 28 never gets a max-term deal (see Severson, Damon).

He could easily wind up with well over $8 million AAV as a soon-to-be 26-year-old, quite possibly more depending on the cap ceiling at that point.  Unless he REALLY wants to help out the Devils THAT much, I just don't see him leaving that much money on the table.  Maybe if he's shredding it this season and is at or close to a PPG, Fitz starts considering around $7 million AAV to entice Dawson to stay for at least 6 more years.

re:  Toffoli, he's more of a "You know our situation, I can't pony up for everyone, I have kids I need to keep, we'd love to keep you, but if you want top dollar, I don't have it to give to you" guy.  He can stick around for 2-3 years at a discount if he's willing to take a minimal raise (say $4.5 million AAV), but if he wants, say, 4+ years at over $5 million AAV, well, thanks for being a stopgap, but we can't afford you.  Of course if Holtz takes huge steps forward, the idea of hanging on to Toffoli is much more of a luxury than a real urgency.

Yeah the fact that so many players are locked up to less-than-their-actual hits is huge...considering the amount of talent in house, the Devils definitely have a reasonable amount of flexibility.  This team may very well represent the best production and talent for the money in the NHL, really.

I said long term, to his age 28-29. It was what I said. Overall I think we understand the view. 

With Toffoli I don’t see why he will accept less for less or shorter raise. He is Stanley cup champion and he deserved money. It’s time to sign for retirement and now he has great opportunity to produce enough to earn more money. 

And I don’t see any problem with this, because Hameenaho is good, Gritsyuk is good and Holtz , even if he will not pan out immediately, still making steps forward. 

40 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I said long term, to his age 28-29. It was what I said. Overall I think we understand the view. 

With Toffoli I don’t see why he will accept less for less or shorter raise. He is Stanley cup champion and he deserved money. It’s time to sign for retirement and now he has great opportunity to produce enough to earn more money. 

And I don’t see any problem with this, because Hameenaho is good, Gritsyuk is good and Holtz , even if he will not pan out immediately, still making steps forward. 

I know what you said…I was just expanding off it and adding detail.

I have no idea if Toffoli would actually consider taking a discount to stay; I was saying that if he actually would want to stay that badly, he’ll definitely have to take less money.  I don’t know what drives him at this point, if he’s looking for as much as he can get or if he’s willing to forego too dollar for a better chance to win, and unless you know him personally, neither do you.  I agree that depending on how some prospects are developing, Fitz might not even decide to make an offer to him anyway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

100% agreed. Hischier/Hughes probably both deserve small raises, especially if they go all the way before their next contracts. 

Re: Bolded; Thank you Fitzy, long may he reign. 

Jesper Boqvist was waived by the Bruins today.  

They also waived Zboril who was the first of those disastrous three straight first round picks in 2015.   I guess DeBrusk is pretty good but there were guy who were generally higher rated at the time who have also become better pros.   Thankfully the Bruins totally whiffed on that draft that could have set them up for years. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2015e.html

• Like 1