GDT - Vegas at Devils 1/24/23 - 7:30pm ESPN+/Hulu

Satans Hockey

Reality check for this game with some thoughts...

The Devils were the better team for most of the game, but Vegas scored twice in transition after good to great scoring chances for the Devils did not go in.

Haula simply can not be an anchor on Jack's back anymore, his failure to shoot the puck and instead try to make a fancy pass led to the first transition goal. He was alone in front and he did not shoot, what is he doing there?

He is a good 2 way player, but he can not play with Jack, he simply is wasting too much of games eating up 86's minutes.

I know Boquist is not liked by many of the fans, but I would much rather he get those minutes where he plays with Jack than Haula, at least he can skate with him, and Jack won't have to lesson his pace with him.

I would prefer Shango being on the line, but they seem to not want to do that and have that second faceoff guy there.

Tatar had a really bad game tonight in terms of playing with the puck, he also should not be an anchor to Jack, we need guys who can skate, but Tatar has been excellent this year overall so I won't kill him for a bad game.

Smith was really bad tonight, they really need Marino back sooner than later.

Wood needs to sit, he might be playing injured I don't know, but since the big hit he took in Dec he has not been the same.

Nico and Bratt were the two best players on the ice until the last minute of the game and OT when Jack and Dougie took over.

Jack, Mercer and Shango would be my second line until they make a big trade for whoever, hopefully Nico's Swiss teammate, but that is what I would do and then go Jesper 2 with Tatar and Haula as line 3.

Jack is still just a baby in terms of his future, look at McDavid now at 26 and how he took another jump, Jack has 3 or 4 more jumps in his play when he gets stronger and smarter, the rest of the league should be worried, very worried.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Man we keep finding ways to win. But it’s clear Fitzgerald needs to add a depth defenseman. Brendan Smith CANNOT continue to sent out there, he’s beyond awful. And Bahl/Okhutyuk aren’t ready.

He had a rough game. The turnover to Eichel and the following penalty was the worst of it. 

He does do a couple things pretty well, usually. He's a decent defender at the blue line, preventing zone entry. And he's pretty good winning battles along the sideboards. Behind the net and in front of the net ... not so good. And he provides almost no offense. 

With Marino back and Luke Hughes possibly joining the team, that might make Smith a seventh defenseman if no one else gets hurt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

He had a rough game. The turnover to Eichel and the following penalty was the worst of it. 

He does do a couple things pretty well, usually. He's a decent defender at the blue line, preventing zone entry. And he's pretty good winning battles along the sideboards. Behind the net and in front of the net ... not so good. And he provides almost no offense. 

With Marino back and Luke Hughes possibly joining the team, that might make Smith a seventh defenseman if no one else gets hurt.

Ehhh I don’t see those positives. I don’t want him anywhere near the playoff roster. Marino should be back but who knows about Luke and if he’ll be ready. That’s why I’d like an insurance D man for depth.

7 hours ago, devlman said:

Ehhh I don’t see those positives. I don’t want him anywhere near the playoff roster. Marino should be back but who knows about Luke and if he’ll be ready. That’s why I’d like an insurance D man for depth.

He was signed to be our 6th or 7th defender, but injuries threw him into the everyday lineup.

Smith is tolerable as that role, not as our freaking number 4

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

Reality check for this game with some thoughts...

The Devils were the better team for most of the game, but Vegas scored twice in transition after good to great scoring chances for the Devils did not go in.

Haula simply can not be an anchor on Jack's back anymore, his failure to shoot the puck and instead try to make a fancy pass led to the first transition goal. He was alone in front and he did not shoot, what is he doing there?

He is a good 2 way player, but he can not play with Jack, he simply is wasting too much of games eating up 86's minutes.

I know Boquist is not liked by many of the fans, but I would much rather he get those minutes where he plays with Jack than Haula, at least he can skate with him, and Jack won't have to lesson his pace with him.

I would prefer Shango being on the line, but they seem to not want to do that and have that second faceoff guy there.

Tatar had a really bad game tonight in terms of playing with the puck, he also should not be an anchor to Jack, we need guys who can skate, but Tatar has been excellent this year overall so I won't kill him for a bad game.

Smith was really bad tonight, they really need Marino back sooner than later.

Wood needs to sit, he might be playing injured I don't know, but since the big hit he took in Dec he has not been the same.

Nico and Bratt were the two best players on the ice until the last minute of the game and OT when Jack and Dougie took over.

Jack, Mercer and Shango would be my second line until they make a big trade for whoever, hopefully Nico's Swiss teammate, but that is what I would do and then go Jesper 2 with Tatar and Haula as line 3.

Jack is still just a baby in terms of his future, look at McDavid now at 26 and how he took another jump, Jack has 3 or 4 more jumps in his play when he gets stronger and smarter, the rest of the league should be worried, very worried.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I definitely think Wood has looked a shadow of his former self this season, and I'd rather see Zetterlund play than him at the moment. I also would like to see Boqvist given a try on Jacks line. And I've no doubt I'm in the minority there.

I know Dougie isn't always the best of defencemen, but I love having him in the team.

31 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I agree with pretty much all of this. I definitely think Wood has looked a shadow of his former self this season, and I'd rather see Zetterlund play than him at the moment. I also would like to see Boqvist given a try on Jacks line. And I've no doubt I'm in the minority there.

I know Dougie isn't always the best of defencemen, but I love having him in the team.

I like Dougie but he does some Severson-like things for sure.  When you're not too far from a PPG and you have a penchant for memorable blasts, that does help your cause greatly.  

42 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Defensively, he's good enough considering what he brings skills-wise. He's elite in that way. Having a very, very good season. I would imagine he's near the top of the league in shots on goal for a defenseman.

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Defensively, he's good enough considering what he brings skills-wise. He's elite in that way. Having a very, very good season. I would imagine he's near the top of the league in shots on goal for a defenseman.

He has a real shot at 20 goals…off the top of my head, the only other defensemen to pull that off in franchise history are Rob Ramage and Barry Beck, but they were obviously Rockies when they did it.  

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He has a real shot at 20 goals…off the top of my head, the only other defensemen to pull that off in franchise history are Rob Ramage and Barry Beck, but they were obviously Rockies when they did it.  

Stevens might have come close but I don't think he got 20.

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

Stevens might have come close but I don't think he got 20.

18 in 1993-94.  

• Like 2

I just want to say... and I'm not trying to flame, or kick anyone while anyone is down or anything.  But this thread has been such an enjoyable read without the usual bickering.

Huge quality of life improvement.  Almost seems like we have more people posting than usual even, now that some folks aren't just... constantly going at it (full disclosure: I've been guilty of it in the past.  Am hypocrite).

Really excited for this board.

• Like 9

I didn't post after the game but here are some observations:

Left Handed goaltender!!!!  The Devils had a couple of shots that would have been over the blocker on a right handed goaltender but were gobbled up by the trapper being there.

Vegas was in a tight box in front of the goal tender the whole game.  The Devils couldn't get a pass into the slot, (and when they did couldn't connect on the pass)

I didn't realize what a great pass Hughes made until I got home and saw the replay!

The ending of the game made it a memorable one!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rock said:

I didn't post after the game but here are some observations:

Left Handed goaltender!!!!  The Devils had a couple of shots that would have been over the blocker on a right handed goaltender but were gobbled up by the trapper being there.

Vegas was in a tight box in front of the goal tender the whole game.  The Devils couldn't get a pass into the slot, (and when they did couldn't connect on the pass)

I didn't realize what a great pass Hughes made until I got home and saw the replay!

The ending of the game made it a memorable one!

That Vegas team played very good team defense last night. It was tough stringing passes together in the neutral zone. Interesting observation about the lefty goalie.

58 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I like Dougie but he does some Severson-like things for sure.  When you're not too far from a PPG and you have a penchant for memorable blasts, that does help your cause greatly.  

I think people were more willing to ignore Seversons mistakes last year when he was producing but if you aren’t bringing the offense, people are going to scrutinize your defense. Dougie more than makes up for his defensive issues on the other end.