GDT - Vegas at Devils 1/24/23 - 7:30pm ESPN+/Hulu

Satans Hockey

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I like Dougie but he does some Severson-like things for sure.  When you're not too far from a PPG and you have a penchant for memorable blasts, that does help your cause greatly.  

I didn’t know he was pretty average a player defensively. His efforts tracking back defending the rush sometimes look so lazy. Good thing he’s scoring…

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think people were more willing to ignore Seversons mistakes last year when he was producing but if you aren’t bringing the offense, people are going to scrutinize your defense. Dougie more than makes up for his defensive issues on the other end. 

The problem with Seves is that he never really brought the offense enough to offset the constant gaffes...last season was better, but still not really enough...he needs to be a 60+ point guy, given the constant WTF moments.  Dougie's probably putting up 70-ish points and might even score 20 this year...if you're getting that, you'll live with the occasional bad reads/decisions for sure.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, devlman said:

I didn’t know he was pretty average a player defensively. His efforts tracking back defending the rush sometimes look so lazy. Good thing he’s scoring…

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Sometimes I'm begging him to skate to beat an opponent to the puck, and he just doesn't.

I agree with both of these comments. It's not often enough to be a problem and as CR76 says, he brings so much on the offensive side it doesn't really matter. The guy looks like he's having a ton of fun most of the time as well.

Just now, Rock said:

I wonder if the devils didn't score would the refs have called another penalty?  I see 2 boarding and cross check.  ...... But we'll never know

Speaking of boarding, I thought the boarding calls on Bastian and Palat were questionable. They looked like good hits but I admit that maybe I wasn't seeing the whole thing clearly from section 106. The Devils didn't get a power play until overtime, and it didn't bug me because the Knights didn't seem to commit any until the trip on Sharangovich in OT.

7 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Speaking of boarding, I thought the boarding calls on Bastian and Palat were questionable. They looked like good hits but I admit that maybe I wasn't seeing the whole thing clearly from section 106. The Devils didn't get a power play until overtime, and it didn't bug me because the Knights didn't seem to commit any until the trip on Sharangovich in OT.

The Bastian one I agree was a penalty. The Palat one seemed more soft and called due to how awkward it was rather than a full on hit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

The one on Bastian was 100% legit. Palat’s was a little more iffy, imo. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

It certainly pleases me that my materials do not stay on my page, but somehow find the viewer, help. This year, unfortunately, due to all these very important wars against each other, money transfers are closed, and I cannot buy a subscription for the American junior leagues. And I can't watch live because of the time zone difference.

Reason why I will not make a deep dive into the draft of this year. Last year, you could have learned from me about Gaultier, way before hype on him became mainstream. A similar story was about Edvinsson a year before. And about Sanderson a year earlier. I like my pre draft work, because it was succesful on my taste. I would say - very succsessful. But this year I do nothing. It frankly saddens and upsets me. I watched few games of euro prospects, wjc and some games of russian prospects. Hope Fitz will trade first pick for Meier. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

There was a couple that could have been called. Nothing blatant but I’ve seen those called before. They are the least penalized team in the NHL I believe. 

The Dougie factor is something we will have to get used to for a long time here in Devils fandom, as Luke will be his own adventure as he grows and learns how to defend.

I just hope everyone understands what that entails and gets there will be games that our goalies are going to have to make big saves because of Luke, Dougie and even Simon are caught out of position.

The benefits will be that in terms of skating, passing, and puck possession , teams are going to be in big trouble and that should lead to more goals for than against.

I know that Fitz can not force teams to make moves earlier than they want, but it would be really nice if he can make the big move for Meier or someone else sooner than later as it will give the team a chance to see if they need to add anything else at the deadline.

I get everyone might not want this, but I am still in favor of seeing Nemec up here to see how he plays for some games, I think he would be an improvement on Smith, and I really don't care about burning his first year thing, but even then we have 9 games for that.

Edited by Patrick Sundstrom Ghost
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

I thought the call on Bastian was not borderline, because the player with the puck turned as Bastian was going in for the hit.  

I just read others disagree, but I only watched the replay once.

Edited by Puckbuster

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The problem with Seves is that he never really brought the offense enough to offset the constantly gaffes...last season was better, but still not really enough...he needs to be a 60+ point guy, given the constant WTF moments.  Dougie's probably putting up 70-ish points and might even score 20 this year...if you're getting that, you'll live with the occasional bad reads/decisions for sure.

Every defenseman has gaffes.  I think we scrutinize our players more.

40 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

The Dougie factor is something we will have to get used to for a long time here in Devils fandom, as Luke will be his own adventure as he grows and learns how to defend.

I just hope everyone understands what that entails and gets there will be games that our goalies are going to have to make big saves because of Luke, Dougie and even Simon are caught out of position.

The benefits will be that in terms of skating, passing, and puck possession , teams are going to be in big trouble and that should lead to more goals for than against.

I know that Fitz can not force teams to make moves earlier than they want, but it would be really nice if he can make the big move for Meier or someone else sooner than later as it will give the team a chance to see if they need to add anything else at the deadline.

I get everyone might not want this, but I am still in favor of seeing Nemec up here to see how he plays for some games, I think he would be an improvement on Smith, and I really don't care about burning his first year thing, but even then we have 9 games for that.

I think Fitz is VERY cap-conscious and loves having flexibility...I suspect he won't have Luke and Simon playing with the big club until next season at the earliest.  I don't think he wants either player's ELC kicking in any earlier than that.

Still think there's a chance Graves gets re-signed, but I can't see Fitz going very high with him...maybe $4.5 million tops for his AAV hit over three years (presumably his deal would expire just as Luke and Simon are due their first extensions)...that's a raise for Graves, but I could see him looking for $5+ million. 

But it's not an insanely high payroll for the Devils D over the next few years, really:

Hamilton:  $9 million AAV

Marino:  $4.4 million AAV

Siegenthaler:  $3.4 million AAV

Graves:  $4.5 million AAV (just a guess, assuming he's back)

Luke:  $950k AAV

Nemec:  $950 AAV

Smith as the 7th guy he was supposed to be at $1.1 million is OK.  Okhotiuk has a less than $800k hit next year, if he's still in the picture.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Every defenseman has gaffes.  I think we scrutinize our players more.

Of course they do.  But based on the rest of the league, I'd say Seves has quite a few more.  Hamilton definitely has some, but less of them...and given the amount of offense that he can bring, you can live with those.  I also just love how much HE seems to be loving being a Devil.  Lots of gung-ho with this team right now.

No one is ever "gaffe-proof", but the closest thing that I've seen to it in a while is Marino.  He just seems to know exactly what to do to break up a play and/or take his man out (often without drawing a penalty), almost every time.  There's so many plays that he's made that you could show to a young defenseman and say "Now here's the correct way to do THIS."  Marino is very textbook.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Fitz is VERY cap-conscious and loves having flexibility...I suspect he won't have Luke and Simon playing with the big club until next season at the earliest.  I don't think he wants either player's ELC kicking in any earlier than that.

Still think there's a chance Graves gets re-signed, but I can't see Fitz going very high with him...maybe $4.5 million tops for his AAV hit over three years (presumably his deal would expire just as Luke and Simon are due their first extensions)...that's a raise for Graves, but I could see him looking for $5+ million. 

But it's not an insanely high payroll for the Devils D over the next few years, really:

Hamilton:  $9 million AAV

Marino:  $4.4 million AAV

Siegenthaler:  $3.4 million AAV

Graves:  $4.5 million AAV (just a guess, assuming he's back)

Luke:  $950k AAV

Nemec:  $950 AAV

Smith as the 7th guy he was supposed to be at $1.1 million is OK.  Okhotiuk has a less than $800k hit next year, if he's still in the picture.

That's the thing you and others say, and you might be right, but I just don't think there should any concern about that when you don't even know if they will burn their year or not.

They have 9 games, I think they should use them, because if Nemec is a better player now than Smith, you should make the team better and not worry about the Cap 3 or 4 years from now, especially when we know it's going up and the team is in great shape with the team friendly deals Nico and Jack are under.

Teams don't keep their best players in the minors because of burning years off their deal, it does not happen in hockey with the top kids. we have seen this over and over with different teams and players.

This again is something that is not even a given, what should be a given to me is to see if Nemec right now is better than Smith and then you worry about it.

Jack found a way to get on the board because he's just that great of a player, but the Knights were doing their best to neutralize him all game long, and doing a pretty good job of it. They were just swarming him, which I think Jack decided to actually use to his advantage on the last play of the game. It would have been a good idea to put Mercer on his line for more than a shift, because Vegas knew that leaving one of Tatar or Haula open was not going to cause them many problems.

Yet another reason why we need to get a top 6 winger. I still think they should try Holtz in Tatar's spot there. At least the opposition needs to respect his shot. Tatar hasn't really done much to show he belongs on Hughes's wing. This wouldn't ever happen because Holtz hasn't "earned" it yet, but just for a game, I would like to see:

Palat-Hischier-Bratt

Holtz-Hughes-Mercer

Boqvist-Haula-Tatar

Zetterlund-McLeod-Bastian

1 minute ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

That's the thing you and others say, and you might be right, but I just don't think there should any concern about that when you don't even know if they will burn their year or not.

They have 9 games, I think they should use them, because if Nemec is a better player now than Smith, you should make the team better and not worry about the Cap 3 or 4 years from now, especially when we know it's going up and the team is in great shape with the team friendly deals Nico and Jack are under.

Teams don't keep their best players in the minors because of burning years off their deal, it does not happen in hockey with the top kids. we have seen this over and over with different teams and players.

This again is something that is not even a given, what should be a given to me is to see if Nemec right now is better than Smith and then you worry about it.

I'm definitely not against using the 9 games.  I'd be thrilled if they did, and if Nemec absolutely wowed and forced the Devils to keep him up here, I'd absolutely live with the burned ELC year.

But I'm not sure Fitz sees it the same way...like I said, I think he's wary about having some level of flexibility for as long as possible, and doing what he can to hang onto it.  I also suspect he doesn't want to rush Nemec.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm definitely not against using the 9 games.  I'd be thrilled if they did, and if Nemec absolutely wowed and forced the Devils to keep him up here, I'd absolutely live with the burned ELC year.

But I'm not sure Fitz sees it the same way...like I said, I think he's wary about having some level of flexibility for as long as possible, and doing what he can to hang onto it.  I also suspect he doesn't want to rush Nemec.  

I wonder if they realized Marino would be as good as he is. I would imagine they hoped so given the length he still has on his contract but maybe that has shifted some plans... Mainly with Graves and Severson's future?they definitely can't let both walk.... Yet.

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I wonder if they realized Marino would be as good as he is. I would imagine they hoped so given the length he still has on his contract but maybe that has shifted some plans... Mainly with Graves and Severson's future?they definitely can't let both walk.... Yet.

I think Seves is 100% gone.  Graves I'd say is 50-50.  I'm on board with him coming back.

The reason why I was so strongly in favor of trading one of Severson or Graves before the season was because of this situation we are now facing.

The odds are they will not get anything for Severson unless they trade him right before FA so a team can talk to him before and lock him up, so maybe they get a 3rd for that.

I don't agree with the odds being very favorable for Graves staying, and that's because he will never have the chance to get a big contract than right now, and the Devils should not sign him unless it's a very team friendly deal.

I just don't see any situation where Luke and Simon are not on the team full time next season unless something goes very wrong, you do not see top 2 picks spend time in the minors besides that first year and Luke is never sniffing the minors unless it's an injury situation where he needs to play games for conditioning.

No neither of them are going to be perfect, yes they will make many mistakes, but next season they will both be on the team, that's just how top picks are dealt with, again unless injuries and or serious in game issues with Nemec that I don't think are there happens.

With this being my basic foundation the question is, do you want to have Graves on a long term deal for 5 million a year or do you go with searching for a short term deal with a veteran or one of the other kids are ready to go?

The issues with this is, if you go with another kid, that's 3 in the line-up but I think that's more likely with the 3rd kid being part time with a veteran than Graves being back, unless he stupidly signs for less than he can get on the open market.