GDT - Vegas at Devils 1/24/23 - 7:30pm ESPN+/Hulu

Satans Hockey

35 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

The reason why I was so strongly in favor of trading one of Severson or Graves before the season was because of this situation we are now facing.

The odds are they will not get anything for Severson unless they trade him right before FA so a team can talk to him before and lock him up, so maybe they get a 3rd for that.

I don't agree with the odds being very favorable for Graves staying, and that's because he will never have the chance to get a big contract than right now, and the Devils should not sign him unless it's a very team friendly deal.

I just don't see any situation where Luke and Simon are not on the team full time next season unless something goes very wrong, you do not see top 2 picks spend time in the minors besides that first year and Luke is never sniffing the minors unless it's an injury situation where he needs to play games for conditioning.

No neither of them are going to be perfect, yes they will make many mistakes, but next season they will both be on the team, that's just how top picks are dealt with, again unless injuries and or serious in game issues with Nemec that I don't think are there happens.

With this being my basic foundation the question is, do you want to have Graves on a long term deal for 5 million a year or do you go with searching for a short term deal with a veteran or one of the other kids are ready to go?

The issues with this is, if you go with another kid, that's 3 in the line-up but I think that's more likely with the 3rd kid being part time with a veteran than Graves being back, unless he stupidly signs for less than he can get on the open market.

That last part of your post is sort of circling why they have kept both so far. The team is taking a step and still needs them. I could see a world where one of them is gone at the deadline, but given NJ is in a position to make the playoffs they might keep them both despite the likelihood of losing them for nothing just to have them for the post season. Fitz probably doesn't want to be left with OH yuck, Bahl, and Smith on the back end for the playoffs just for a couple of late firsts(at best).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

That last part of your post is sort of circling why they have kept both so far. The team is taking a step and still needs them. I could see a world where one of them is gone at the deadline, but given NJ is in a position to make the playoffs they might keep them both despite the likelihood of losing them for nothing just to have them for the post season. Fitz probably doesn't want to be left with OH yuck, Bahl, and Smith on the back end for the playoffs just for a couple of late firsts(at best).

Yeah, I understand why you can't trade them both now, it's again why I really wanted a move before the season.

I don't think they trade either unless we get a veteran or 2 back, and it's like you said the season has gone so well that you want this team to play meaningful games and you don't want to hurt it if you don't have to.

I was just in the you have to get assets for these two good players and they decided not to do so, and now because of how well the team has played they will be losing one or both of them for probably very little or nothing at all.

13 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

Yeah, I understand why you can't trade them both now, it's again why I really wanted a move before the season.

I don't think they trade either unless we get a veteran or 2 back, and it's like you said the season has gone so well that you want this team to play meaningful games and you don't want to hurt it if you don't have to.

I was just in the you have to get assets for these two good players and they decided not to do so, and now because of how well the team has played they will be losing one or both of them for probably very little or nothing at all.

Yea but that's what I'm saying; the way I am looking at it is that they aren't losing them for nothing. The team is going to make the playoffs. That was the gamble and, I think(with hindsight), it's been totally worth it.

Also, just cause it hasn't happen yet doesn't mean one of them still can't get traded. I think it would be stupid though because I'd rather get out of the first round of the playoffs than get a late first that turns into another Boqvist or something.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I wonder if they realized Marino would be as good as he is. I would imagine they hoped so given the length he still has on his contract but maybe that has shifted some plans... Mainly with Graves and Severson's future?they definitely can't let both walk.... Yet.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Seves is 100% gone.  Graves I'd say is 50-50.  I'm on board with him coming back.

I'm pretty sure they were hoping that at least one of Bahl or Okhotiuk took a spot on the team, so they could trade either Graves or Seves. As neither of them have though, it makes the decision on what to do with them harder for Fitz.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea but that's what I'm saying; the way I am looking at it is that they aren't losing them for nothing. The team is going to make the playoffs. That was the gamble and, I think(with hindsight), it's been totally worth it.

Also, just cause it hasn't happen yet doesn't mean one of them still can't get traded. I think it would be stupid though because I'd rather get out of the first round of the playoffs than get a late first that turns into another Boqvist or something.

This team desperately needed to learn how to win. It was a major part of why I personally was all aboard the Fire Lindy train and revert really fast when they stumbled for so long. Once they learned how to win, I don’t want to allow losing to creep back cause it was so easy for them in the past to play woe is us, we’re just bad. Severson had a role when he was producing and only having minor brain farts, but the Marino injury derailed our hopes of selling high.

if we lose him for nothing, so be it. He’ll have to prove himself in the playoffs anyway and if he sucks, his value tanks. CR is right, he’s serviceable on a bad or middle of the pack team but a liability on a good one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I'm pretty sure they were hoping that at least one of Bahl or Okhotiuk took a spot on the team, so they could trade either Graves or Seves. As neither of them have though, it makes the decision on what to do with them harder for Fitz.

I think we also knew we’d have growing pains with the young guys. Which is absolutely fine if we were a bubble team, but now that we have legitimate playoff aspirations and not “well if we get a bunch of breaks,” we’re stuck with proven commodities rather than having the time to be extra patient with mistakes. Kinda ironic

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

Respectfully, I feel like this is pre-salary cap thinking.   Cap space is an asset, so even if they walk we're still gaining something in return.  With the cap, rich teams can't gobble up all the good players anymore so there are always other options available.   Besides, as others have already hit on, we're no longer rebuilding. The Devils are a good team now.   Having guys like Severson, Graves and even Blackwood stick around this year as depth and insurance is more valuable IMO than getting every last mid round pick as compensation for their departure.  

Also, I don't see why we can't sign Graves as long as he's being reasonable about his salary demands.   Assuming Fitz doesn't hand him a NTC, he seems like a guy who would be easily movable for several more years if Nemec and Hughes blossom into what we all hope and Graves becomes a luxury we can no longer afford.   In the meantime, I like having him on the roster.      

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I'm pretty sure they were hoping that at least one of Bahl or Okhotiuk took a spot on the team, so they could trade either Graves or Seves. As neither of them have thought, it makes the decision on what to do with them harder for Fitz.

Sorry, but I think it would be the wrong move to trade Sevs or Graves, even if Bahl or Okhutiuk were ready when the team is projected to go to the playoffs.  Both, should be considered as rentals and provide the depth needed for a playoff run.  I believe Fitz will be making a trade to add up front.  Hopefully, he can pull off Timo, but, no matter what, he needs to find more scoring depth.