GDT - Devils @ Stars 1/27/23 8:30pm MSGSN

NJDfan1711

21 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Is that 16 come from behind wins now? That's incredible. You gotta love a team that never quits. I'm almost starting to look forward to OT these days!

Yeah I’ve mentioned it a bunch but with most teams, there’s a handful of games (sometimes due to scheduling) where they know almost collectively that they don’t have their legs and are tired, and would rather save their bullets for other battles…if they find a way to win such a “we’re spent” game, great, but they’re not going to kill themselves trying to make it happen.  And given the grind of an 82-game NHL season (with potential playoff games to follow), it’s understandable when enough factors come together to prevent a team from giving its all for a select number of games.

The Devils can be shaky in their own end for sure (goaltending has made a massive difference in 2022-23, no question) and even though they’re 10-2-2 in their last 14, they haven’t played nearly as well as that record suggests.

BUT, they do try.  Every night.  They can be sloppy, and I’ll never believe that Ruff is the guy who will lead them to a championship, but this team does not take nights off…I can’t think of any one in particular where I thought “These guys didn’t even bother tonight.”  So major kudos to the Devils for that.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I’ve mentioned it a bunch but with most teams, there’s a handful of games (sometimes due to scheduling) where they know almost collectively that they don’t have their legs and are tired, and would rather save their bullets for other battles…if they find a way to win such a “we’re spent” game, great, but they’re not going to kill themselves trying to make it happen.  And given the grind of an 82-game NHL season (with potential playoff games to follow), it’s understandable when enough factors come together to prevent a team from giving its all for a select number of games.

The Devils can be shaky in their own end for sure (goaltending has made a massive difference in 2022-23, no question) and even though they’re 10-2-2 in their last 14, they haven’t played nearly as well as that record suggests.

BUT, they do try.  Every night.  They can be sloppy, and I’ll never believe that Ruff is the guy who will lead them to a championship, but this team does not take nights off…I can’t think of any one in particular where I thought “These guys didn’t even bother tonight.”  So major kudos to the Devils for that.

There does seem to be a real team spirit in the camp and a never say die attitude, and they've definitely taken a step forward in terms of mental strength. It's damn fun to watch, especially after the last few seasons.

14 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Feels good to have a team when you know when they're down they have a chance to win. Haven't felt this in years. 

I threw money on them as soon as they went down 2-0… and the best part, I wasn’t concerned at all.. this team competes, it’s overly refreshing the never quit attitude they have 

• Like 3
  • Shocking 1

2 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I threw money on them as soon as they went down 2-0… and the best part, I wasn’t concerned at all.. this team competes, it’s overly refreshing the never quit attitude they have 

I wish I had your courage yesterday. Not that it woulda been a big bet on my part but still…

2 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Feels good to have a team when you know when they're down they have a chance to win. Haven't felt this in years. 

That’s my favorite part, last year they were resilient for a bit then gave up once they couldn’t come back a few times.

Now Jack takes over and wills them to be better. (No he’s not alone but man do they go where he goes)

• Like 1