GDT - Devils vs Canucks 2/6/23 7:30pm MSGSN

NJDfan1711

7 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

I agree.  This team is just too talented just to make the playoffs.  Now, I’m not saying they are a cup contender, but they should go past the first round.  They have a couple holes to fill on the roster, but I think the bigger issue is the sloppy play at times.  It’s as they are taking a break and allow teams to walking into their zone and with just one quick pass to a man left open they give up a goal.  Are they pick watching or just brain dead atm?  Or, they will get to aggressive in the OZ and they play to low and give up odd man rushes.  I wonder if teams are aware of this and want their goalie give up a big rebound so they can transition to and odd man rush.  It’s late, I had a long day and I hope it makes sense.

I can’t speak in any absolutes, re:  how far the Devils “should” go in the playoffs…so much of it comes down to matchups, goalies getting hot (or cold)…and of course, experience.  Jack has no playoff experience, and what little that guys like Nico, Bratt and others have feels like it might as well have been 10 years ago.

Of course Palat was brought in to help with that part of it, but I wouldn’t be completely shocked if the Devils didn’t make a deep run.  But obviously getting in (and looking like they should be able to continue nabbing playoff berths in the seasons to come) is a huge step forward.  Clearly headed in the right direction.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I can’t speak in any absolutes, re:  how far the Devils “should” go in the playoffs…so much of it comes down to matchups, goalies getting hot (or cold)…and of course, experience.  Jack has no playoff experience, and what little that guys like Nico, Bratt and others have feels like it might as well have been 10 years ago.

Of course Palat was brought in to help with that part of it, but I wouldn’t be completely shocked if the Devils didn’t make a deep run.  But obviously getting in (and looking like they should be able to continue nabbing playoff berths in the seasons to come) is a huge step forward.  Clearly headed in the right direction.  

Because of the experience factor, my expectations are dialed way back. I don't expect this team to get out of Round 1.

52 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Because of the experience factor, my expectations are dialed way back. I don't expect this team to get out of Round 1.

Same. Last night shows they have room to be better. I'm not trying to be negative or sh!t on them, they are finding ways to win lately, but I think all of us here can admit they have not been playing their best as of late and tend to shoot themselves in the foot a lot. Playoff teams are going to burn them on those mistakes a lot more often than they don't.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Same. Last night shows they have room to be better. I'm not trying to be negative or sh!t on them, they are finding ways to win lately, but I think all of us here can admit they have not been playing their best as of late and tend to shoot themselves in the foot a lot. Playoff teams are going to burn them on those mistakes a lot more often than they don't.

The good news is that they've managed to win despite the issues we're seeing more and more of lately...also under the "good news" heading is that this team is clearly built for OT success...there's enough quickness, creativity, and shooting ability that they sure look like they can keep racking up those second points in OT, even in games where they don't look so good 5-on-5.  

The bad news is the issues of late are not really showing signs of going away, and this is why I think Ruff still being the head coach is a major issue...I just don't see what he brings as far as ability to adjust, and the Devils both having some serious talent and a gaudy record aren't covering that up, AFAIC.  I get that there's no way that they're letting him go in-season, as the team is simply winning too much to justify a change.  Come this offseason I still want to see Brunette get the HC gig and a young, promising "potential future HC"-type be added to the staff.  I see Ruff behind the bench and it's like watching a doddering old fool be handed the keys to a Ferrari and then being told to hit the racetrack with it.  I just think he's so completely wrong for this Devils team.  And it's only a matter of time before he really starts getting in the way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

I believe they are a playoff team, however I have to agree with your expectation.  Last night is the most recent example why.  They give up these late period goals or blow leads.  To me it seems as though the lose their tenacity as the seconds tick away or when they have the lead.  Yes, they are resilient when they are losing and that’s great for a playoff run, but losing that in the waning seconds or during a lead will be their death nail.

Just now, Puckbuster said:

It was my opinion, which is far absolute.  LOL

You did make it sound like just making the playoffs wouldn't be enough ("too talented to 'just' make the playoffs, should go past the first round", etc).  Of course we'd all like to see them go on a run or even win a round, but based on the general lack of experience (and having who I believe is the wrong head coach in place), unless they suffer a slew of injuries that decimate their top talent, the only expectations I have of them right now is to get in.  And then we'll see.  If they face the Rangers in the first round, man I'd love to see the Devils take them down.  Seriously, they could get swept in the second round at that point (even against Carolina) and I think I'd be OK with it.

Beating the Rangers would be even sweeter because one too many Devils fans (for my liking, anyway) were in "AAAAAAAAAAAAA look at the awesome Ranger rebuild they're so far ahead of us why couldn't we have followed their lead?!" mode.  And that franchise got a #2OA and then a #1OA (this one felt damned near rigged, even if it wasn't) that they really didn't have much business getting.  Would love to see those two do nothing come playoff time with the Devils holding them down heh ehh.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crisis said:

Quinn was absolutely flying

Specifically on that back check....

I think he could give Cale Makar a run for his money. 

And while we are pumping Jacks tires here a little bit, catching Jack Hughes on a breakaway like that, most dmen throw their hands up like John Marino when he got burnt last night on that boards play. 

Props to Quinn for getting there, I don't even think Jack thought he could close the gap so fast.

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You did make it sound like just making the playoffs wouldn't be enough ("too talented to 'just' make the playoffs, should go past the first round", etc).  Of course we'd all like to see them go on a run or even win a round, but based on the general lack of experience (and having who I believe is the wrong head coach in place), unless they suffer a slew of injuries that decimate their top talent, the only expectations I have of them right now is to get in.  And then we'll see.  If they face the Rangers in the first round, man I'd love to see the Devils take them down.  Seriously, they could get swept in the second round at that point (even against Carolina) and I think I'd be OK with it.

Beating the Rangers would be even sweeter because one too many Devils fans (for my liking, anyway) were in "AAAAAAAAAAAAA look at the awesome Ranger rebuild they're so far ahead of us why couldn't we have followed their lead?!" mode.  And that franchise got a #2OA and then a #1OA (this one felt damned near rigged, even if it wasn't) that they really didn't have much business getting.  Would love to see those two do nothing come playoff time with the Devils holding them down heh ehh.   

I total get what you are saying.  I was absolute in my take.  I’m just saying my take isn’t absolutely correct as I am wrong a lot.  That said, It would be great to beat the Rangers if they meet up round one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I still want the GM to get the team some help for the playoffs (and beyond if it's Timo Meier), and I don't rule out that the Devils could do something great this spring. They've come so far -- this team was playing Steve Hammond in goal last March and now they're in a solid playoff position -- but they haven't been good for all that long. If the Devs played the Caps or Pens in round 1, who would be favored? Probably the Devils, but not by much. 

Forget everything I said if the Devs draw the Rangers. Then losing is not an option.  😬

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I still want the GM to get the team some help for the playoffs (and beyond if it's Timo Meier), and I don't rule out that the Devils could do something great this spring. They've come so far -- this team was playing Steve Hammond in goal last March and now they're in a solid playoff position -- but they haven't been good for all that long. If the Devs played the Caps or Pens in round 1, who would be favored? Probably the Devils, but not by much. 

Forget everything I said if the Devs draw the Rangers. Then losing is not an option.  😬

Andrew Hammond heh heh, but yeah, who gives a fvck?    

3 hours ago, devlman said:

Look..err…I mean, listen to the difference in audio engineering of this game from MSG’s sh!t to how Sportsnet mikes the crowd. Place was jumping but you wouldn’t have known it hearing the MSG telecast:

2 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

That was almost like being there.

I can safely say last night watching on ESPN+ I knew the crowd was rocking.... 😳

• Like 1