The World Cup Trophy is ugly

Satans Hockey

So terrible, he also said he hopes it doesnt break, i would actually find that quite amusing if it did

frank_gehry_worldcup2004_trophy.jpg

http://wch2004.com/trophy/index.html

World Cup trophy

designed by Gehry

By Robert Picarello | NHL.com

When eight of the top hockey nations in the world take to the ice this fall to compete in the second World Cup of Hockey tournament, they will not only be gunning for a title, but also for a chance to be the first winners to parade around with the World Cup's new championship trophy.

The task to design the new piece of hardware for the international competition was bestowed upon Gehry Partners, LLP, a full service firm located in Los Angeles, Calif., with broad international experience in museum, theater, performance, academic, and commercial projects. Frank Gehry personally designed the new trophy.

Gehry, a world-renowned architect, has built a career that has spanned four decades and has produced public and private buildings in the United States, Europe and Asia. Throughout the years, Gehry's architectural drawings and models have been exhibited in major museums throughout the world and his work has been featured in major architectural publications and in national and international trade journals.

The Canadian-born designer has won more than 100 awards from the American Institute of Architects. In 1989, he was awarded the Pritzker Architecture Prize, perhaps the premier accolade in architecture, honoring "significant contributions to humanity and the built environment through the art of architecture."

But the choice to hire Gehry to construct a new championship trophy wasn't just based on his architectural background and accolades alone. The highly successful designer was also born and raised in hockey-mad Toronto.

"I was raised with it (hockey)," Gehry explained. "We were a poor family, so the only thing I could do was listen to Foster Hewitt on Saturday night. It is because of my interest in hockey that I was even interested in designing the trophy. You know it was a fascinating problem to figure it out."

"I think my understanding of the game and what trophies mean to players and to the fans of hockey makes it a very important assignment. It's not just a trivial thing that I tossed off. I took it very seriously because I feel that I am connected to the serious side of hockey. It is a serious pursuit and a lot of peoples lives are involved with it and I believe in it and I love it."

This understanding came from his growing up watching and listening to teams compete for the Stanley Cup each season.

"I guess with championship trophies, you immediately think of the Stanley Cup, which is a traditional kind of thing. But what is the essence of it? Well, the essence of it I know very well -- when they win and they pick it up over their head, pass it around, skate around. That is the whole philosophy of it, right? There is this moment of excitement, when each player and the team, the captains, everybody, picks up this trophy and parade it around."

What emotions does Gehry want people to experience when they see the World Cup?

"I would like them to accept it as a trophy for this match and that it was seriously conceived for its purpose and that they don't dismiss it as some kind of trivial thing that doesn't look like the Stanley Cup," he said. "It is the same issue that I am involved with in all my work. People, when they see the models in the beginning, when they are not involved, they think it is a little weird, but when they experience it physically they realize there is something to it. Over time, I have had success with that and I hope the same thing happens here."

The '96 World Cup championship hardware did play a minor role when it came time to begin work on the new trophy.

Here is the 96 world cup trophy: usa_wc96_trophy.jpg

While no other hockey trophy, including the one used in the first World Cup, influenced his vision and design for the new award, the '96 championship hardware did play a minor role when it came time to begin work on the new trophy.

"I've seen all of the [NHL] trophies," he said. "They are all very traditional. I think the one thing about the existing World Cup trophy is that it broke from all that tradition and it opened the door for us to do a new one that continued the break of tradition."

Gehry hopes that tradition is the only thing that's broken this summer when the tournament is all said and done.

"I am looking forward to the moment when one team wins [the World Cup] and they pick it up and parade around the ice. Hopefully it doesn't break and everybody likes it."

The WCH 2004 tournament takes place in Europe and North America from Aug. 30 to Sept. 14. The Czech Republic, Finland, Germany and Sweden will compete in the European Pool, while Canada, Russia, Slovakia and the defending World Cup champion United States will play in the North American Pool. The World Cup of Hockey 2004 is a joint venture between the NHL and the NHLPA in cooperation with the IIHF.

Log on to WCH2004.com for more details on the tournament, including ticket information.

Edited by NJDEVILICEONFIRE