Timo’s a Devil!! 13 pieces in Trade!

Colorado Rockies 1976

7 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I still believe we need 2/3 more pieces to become a cup contender. 1 D-man and good 3rd/4th liner to replace Zetterlund and Wood/Haula. We in essence traded:

1 1st Rounder in Shakir Muk (95% chance NHLer)

1 2nd Rounder in Nikita Okhotiuk (60% chance NHLer)

1 3rd Rounder in Fabian Zetterlund who was our 3rd line center (no replacement for him)

1 2023 1st round pick of a deep draft

1 2024 2nd round pick which could also become a 1st round pick in 2024 or 2025

For Timo Meier (50% retained) and a back of pucks. Honestly, I think we may have won the Timo sweepstakes for now, but if he doesnt come back and we dont win the Cup, then this was a loss. I mean what's scary is he tears it up as some of you are expecting, in which case, he demands 9+ mill and hamstrings our cap, or doesnt pan out and walks. Either way, we could possibly have given up a lot for a few months rental, and mortgaged our potential for a future dynasty. I am hopeful that things work out well and Timo an offer for 8 mill for 6/7 years.

3 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

I still believe we need 2/3 more pieces to become a cup contender. 1 D-man and good 3rd/4th liner to replace Zetterlund and Wood/Haula. We in essence traded:

1 3rd Rounder in Fabian Zetterlund who was our 3rd line center (no replacement for him)

For Timo Meier (50% retained) and a back of pucks. Honestly, I think we may have won the Timo sweepstakes for now, but if he doesnt come back and we dont win the Cup, then this was a loss. I mean what's scary is he tears it up as some of you are expecting, in which case, he demands 9+ mill and hamstrings our cap, or doesnt pan out and walks. Either way, we could possibly have given up a lot for a few months rental, and mortgaged our potential for a future dynasty. I am hopeful that things work out well and Timo an offer for 8 mill for 6/7 years.

Jeez.  Come on now, there's also a good chance that 5 years from now we just traded the equivalent of 1. Eric Gelinas 2. Alex Urbom 3. Matt Halischuk and the picks that got Jacob Josefson and Jon Merrill.  

The holes you listed in the first sentence are some of the easier ones to fill, especially for a shrewd GM like Fitz.   As for mortgaging a future dynasty, other than Matt Tkachuk, I can't think of another player that was realistically available in the last two years that gets us closer to that goal.  We needed size and a scoring winger and Timo addresses both. 

As for Meier walking, I think you're selling Fitz short.  I doubt he drops the requirement for Meier being signed in advance of the trade if Fitz hadn't been given indications that hammering out a long term deal wouldn't be a problem.    

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anhkheg said:

I don't know man. I think we have a strong defense now with the current crop. Meier, Bratt, Hischier, and Hughes are your star forwards. Hamilton your offensive dman top pairing guy and then Siegs and Marino as your key shutdown dmen. Barring any awful regression of play from any of the aforementioned players. I think this is a solid core that you are building around if you strip the entire team down to this core. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anhkheg said:

Really stretching on some of these. Muk projects to be a top 4 defenseman if his game translates to the NHL but he’s far from a sure thing. Okhotiuk has some potential but his ceiling is second pairing. Zetterlund has been playing 3rd and 4th line RW. Meier pushes Sharangovich or someone else down to that spot. He’s good but you gotta give to get a player like Meier. Two late round 1sts suck to give up, but it would mean we made the conference finals at least. 

These are possible good players traded for a great player. The players we got back were just so SJ could clear contracts. 

As for 9 million hamstringing us, we have Wood, Tatar, Severson, possibly Haula coming off the cap. Blackwood will most likely be gone.  That’s nearly 15 million right there plus the cap is supposed to be going up. Also he’s a RFA, so if he doesn’t stay we’re getting a ton of picks to make up for the ones we lost. This is as great a trade as we could hope for 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Someone tell Severson not to worry, his cap moving out will help make room.

Since when did Severson become Bratts agent commenting on Bratts contract negotiations.  Severson should worry about himself.  I’ve wanted that a-hole traded since he complained about his playing situation, but they are competing for a playoff spot so it is what it is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

You're making this trade sound worse than the Flyers including Peter Forsberg in their package for Eric Lindros, which it's clearly not.

11 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

First off, you have to give SOMETHING to get.  The Devils hung on to all of their top prospects and top young NHLers.  They gave up second-tier "maybes" here.

The "% chance NHLer" crap is just that...crap.  Some guys make it and some guys don't, simple as that...and we have no idea what KIND of NHLers either Okhotiuk or Muk will be.  The first-round picks are going to be lower half selections...not necessarily sure things, and it's not like you can't find talent in lower rounds.  Jesper Bratt and John Marino were former sixth-rounders.  Friggin' Brendan Smith was a first-rounder.  

Also, Hamilton, Marino, and Siegs are locked up for several more years.  L Hughes and Nemec are obviously joining the fray very soon and are going to be given every chance to develop and succeed.  Exactly how much room is left for other young defensive prospects?  Realistically there's one slot left (and maybe a second one for a 7th-D/fill-in type)...and there's other guys who could be joining the ranks (like Casey and his defensive partner, Ethan Edwards) in the next 2-3 years.  It makes little sense to hang on to EVERYONE when you have a chance to use assets to fill a need elsewhere, and that's the benefit of having a surplus of prospects...you have pieces to be able to land a big fish, and in this case, one with several prime years left.  

Zetterlund was growing on me, but is he realistically a guy that you would consider bailing on a Meier trade for?!  He had one goal in his last 25 games.  ONE!  Not saying his game was defined strictly by offensive contributions, but geez, he's about to enter his Age 24 season...he's already six years removed from his draft season...and he's not all that much younger than Meier!  Do you really think his not being around is going to be some crippling loss here?  Or that Fitz can't find a replacement for him?  

Let me see Fitz put himself in a position where both Bratt and Meier could potentially walk for no return before I worry about that scenario actually being a thing.  Assuming that he does re-sign both for a combined, say, $18 million, he still has $18 million and change to sign 11 other players.  Sounds daunting, but keep in mind his goaltending will already be under contract, and if Nemec and L Hughes both join the big club, that's two low-cost ELCs that will bring the team total to 14 players under contract...now he'll have about $16 million to spread out among 9 players.  If the Devils keep Smith (obviously we'd all like to see an upgrade there...maybe Bahl can take that spot....if he's re-signed, can't imagine that he makes much more than $1.5 million AAV), the D corp is all under contract.  Basically the Devils will have a gaggle of mostly 3rd and 4th line forwards to sign...I'm assuming that that they'll hang on to some of the ones already here, but you can find those guys without breaking the bank.  I'm guessing the Devils will have maybe $2 million or so of remaining space next season, but look at who's going to be on the roster.  Do you not feel comfortable going into battle with that group?

Dawson's situation will be interesting to monitor, as to what kind of raise he'll get...as will VV's in time...Devils very well may have to hope Schmid can become a cost-effective #1 or #1A-type, if they can't afford to hang on to VV, but let's see if VV plays well enough over his final two seasons to warrant finding a way to keep.  L Hughes and Nemec figure to get raises down the line, but that is going to be four seasons away if they both make the team next year...that's not an immediate concern.  Yes, Fitz will have to hit some home runs with both 3rd and 4th line prospects and low-cost UFAs (should Utica not churn out enough Bottom 6-ers), but he's assembled a hell of a core here.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Why are people worrying about budgeting cap space 3 years from now.. I’ll never understand it. Can’t people just enjoy and be happy with what’s going on today? The future has not been this bright in a decade and people are worried about the cap in 2 years… Jesus Christ!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Why are people worrying about budgeting cap space 3 years from now.. I’ll never understand it. Can’t people just enjoy and be happy with what’s going on today? The future has not been this bright in a decade and people are worried about the cap in 2 years… Jesus Christ!

Past trauma from following this team the past decade.  They'll come around.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

If you're referring to my post, I'm not worried about it at all, really...if anything, I was trying to break down why it's not really a huge deal even if Bratt and Meier both sign pricey extensions.  The cap doesn't figure to be a real problem until four seasons from now, and even then, GMs figure ways out of cap issues all of the time.  

• Like 1

Just now, nessus said:

I hope the Devils re-sign Tatar. I’ve liked his game a lot this year, and I don’t think he will cost as much as his current contract. He would be a great winger for the 3rd line. 

He’s been really good this season. I know we don’t have many advanced stats folks here, but his have been terrific. 

Just now, nessus said:

I hope the Devils re-sign Tatar. I’ve liked his game a lot this year, and I don’t think he will cost as much as his current contract. He would be a great winger for the 3rd line. 

I'm open to the idea (never thought I'd say that) but really depends on what he's looking for.  $3.5 million AAV seems about as high as Fitz should go for him. 

• Like 1

Really is amazing…not just the number of really stacked teams in the East, but the number of stacked teams that will get knocked out in the first couple of rounds.

Hell, an Islander team that seems to be figuring it out might not even make it in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Really is amazing…not just the number of really stacked teams in the East, but the number of stacked teams that will get knocked out in the first couple of rounds.

Hell, an Islander team that seems to be figuring it out might not even make it in.

Im Hoping boston gets bounced in round 1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Im Hoping boston gets bounced in round 1

Either the first or second.  I want no part of them in an EC final, should the Devils get that far.  Hall has basically done nothing over his last 27 GP (3 G and 6 A) and that hasn't hurt them one bit.  That team is SO deep.

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And this is why this horrible playoff format needs to be revised to the previous, awesome playoff format.

• Thanks 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

And this is why this horrible playoff format needs to be revised to the previous, awesome playoff format.

Yeah this whole forcing rivalries thing doesn’t work. Let rivalries develop naturally. I love seeing an 8 seed push a 1 seed in the first round and the possibility of the best teams meeting in a conference final

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah this whole forcing rivalries thing doesn’t work. Let rivalries develop naturally. I love seeing an 8 seed push a 1 seed in the first round and the possibility of the best teams meeting in a conference final

Best teams get bounced early because best teams face off against beat teams too early. With the 8 team format we still faced rivals deep in playoffs. Ramps it up even more. 

• Like 1