Timo’s a Devil!! 13 pieces in Trade!

Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny how these things turn out…I figured at least one first-round pick would be involved.  Holtz not being a part of this and Johnsson actually being a part of this is a total shocker.  Had a feeling Muk or Casey might go to SJ.  Zetterlund being a healthy scratch seemed like a sure sign he was going to be involved.

Glad it’s over.  Next big hurdle is getting both Meier and Bratt re-signed.  

If that happens then this will be one heck of a young core

• Like 1

And not hard to see why the Devils won.  Fitz really went all-in, in a way that made total sense.  Excellent EXCELLENT job.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bonginator11 said:

If that happens then this will be one heck of a young core

And that’s why giving up two first-rounders is OK here.  It’s a core that figures to have a lot of good years ahead.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I remember how much everyone hated the Muk pick at the time it was made, and now he was just the main prospect in the Timo Meier trade. Crazy. 

Yeah I’m shocked about him. I think I was upset about the original pick, then he started actually showing promise. I might actually keep tabs on him and zetts

I would have much prefered not losing Muk and trading Cssey instead, as 6-4 over 5-9 especially with Luke and Nemec, but I understand it.

They still have Casey and if they give up on Holtz which I hope they don't, as big trade pieces for this week or the future.

I really think Vilen, Orlov and maybe Leddy looking like good players made this move easier to do.

GL to Nikita, Z, & Muk, I think they all will be good players for SJ.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Yeah I’m shocked about him. I think I was upset about the original pick, then he started actually showing promise. I might actually keep tabs on him and zetts

He was projected to go in the THIRD round in a lot of depth charts…I wasn’t bullish on the pick either.  But yeah, Devils just got Meier due to his presence.  Works for me.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

Great day for us! Feel bad for zetterland but was never big on him anyways

I thought he was a fun emerging player to watch make the team this year and he and Muk are the only real pieces I'm bummed about going the other way. 

His issue in this trade is that Meier is a better version of him and the Sharks are taking the gamble on him in that sense. He can probably come in and play on their top 9. 

Bright side is that we still have Holtz, still have Casey and a lot of the key prospects. 

Definitely well done by Fitz in that regard. Agree regarding the picks, but Armchair GM me I think I would have tried to finesse Zetterlund or Okhotyuk out of the deal based on 2 first rounders going their way, but that's me with my homer cap on. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Feels like SJ got quantity over quality tbh. Late 1st (+ the conditional), prospect who was borderline 1st round and maybe taken a little too early in Muk, a bottom 6 winger in Z, a throw in AAAA player in Johnsson, and Okhotiuk (whatever). 

If and when Timo re-signs I think this deal looks really good for the Devils, imo. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Wow that’s a lot of pieces for a trade. 

That was the idea.  Quantity over the absolute cream of the crop prospects.  Nemec, L Hughes and others are still here.  

• Like 1

Zetterlund is the only asset I am sad to see go. Muk looked like he was really turning it up but happy to let him go to retain Holtz, Casey, Hughes, and Nemec. I don't think Mercer was ever on the table at all from NJ's side but I imagine Grier was trying hard for a better prospect and Fitz didn't budge. No issues with giving up the 2 firsts either.

• Like 1

• San Jose Receives Conditional 2024 Second-Round Pick: Should New Jersey reach the 2023 Eastern Conference Finals (and Meier plays in at least 50% of Meier's Club's Playoff games in 2023) or the 2024 Eastern Conference Finals, New Jersey will transfer its own first-round pick in 2024 NHL Draft to San Jose (top 10 protected), instead of its own second-round pick in 2024 NHL Draft. If New Jersey's first-round pick in 2024 NHL Draft is a top 10 selection, New Jersey will have the option to instead transfer its own first-round pick in 2025 NHL Draft to San Jose. Should New Jersey transfer its first-round pick in 2024 NHL Draft per the original condition (top-two above in Condition A), New Jersey will instead transfer its own first-round pick in 2025 NHL Draft should they reach the 2024 Eastern Conference Finals.

6 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

Absolutely. Plus those 1st rounders will be late firsts (as long as they are good again next year). Huge win for Fitz and the Devils

The Devil's website says a 2nd rounder in 2024, not a first rounder. 

There were a lot more players involved in this apparently. 

Our subtractions were right, but there's like a goalie and a COL 5th round pick coming our way. 

Not bad Fitz. This has a lot of moving pieces here and conditions. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2

Just now, RizzMB30 said:

The Devil's website says a 2nd rounder in 2024, not a first rounder. 

There were a lot more players involved in this apparently. 

Our subtractions were right, but there's like a goalie and a COL 5th round pick coming our way. 

It becomes a first if we make an ECF this year or next.   

Guessing some of these warm bodies coming back is due to SJ needing to offload some contracts to be able to bring in other ones?  Sounds about right.  

• Like 2