GDT: New Jersey Timos @ the Arizona Money Launderers, 7:00 pm, MSG

Colorado Rockies 1976

9 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

I think Nico looked over to Haula and thought I better take the shot.

Speaking of Haula...so much has gone right this year, but figures that the guy the Devils get is shooting 7.4% BELOW his career average, and the guy the Devils trade to get him is shooting 4.8% ABOVE his career average.  Both currently have the EXACT same career shooting%, at 11.4.  If they were both shooting closer to that, Haula would actually have more goals than Zacha this year, hard as that is to believe.  It is what it is...if anything, it gives me hope that this year is an insane anomaly for Haula, driven by some of the worst luck imaginable, and hopefully next year he does a much better job at converting whatever chances he gets.  And hopefully remains on the third line (which is why he was acquired in the first place of course).

At least Haula's baffling futility hasn't really hurt the Devils.  Hard to make a case that it has when the Devils have the current 3rd-best record in the NHL, and are 19-4-4 in their last 27 games.

VV has allowed 12 goals over his last 3 GP, to the tune of an .829 save%.  And his team won all three games.  GREAT to see the Devils pick him up when he hasn't been his best, because he's definitely done the same a bunch this season.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At least Haula's baffling futility hasn't really hurt the Devils.  Hard to make a case that it has when the Devils have the current 3rd-best record in the NHL, and are 19-4-4 in their last 27 games.

The only thing it really hurt was Jack’s point total. It probably cost him about 10 assists. So he would have been currently sitting at 86 points instead of 76, and 100 would pretty much feel like a lock. But even with that maddening stretch of Haula not burying his chances Jack set up 100 is still doable. He needs 24 points over the last 20 games. You have to think the puck starts going in for him soon as many shots as he’s still producing, and ofc Timo should help. 

Edited by Nicomo

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The only thing it really hurt was Jack’s point total. It probably cost him about 10 assists. So he would have been currently sitting at 86 points instead of 76, and 100 would pretty much feel like a lock. But even with that maddening stretch of Haula not burying his chances Jack set up 100 is still doable. He needs 24 points over the last 20 games. You have to think the puck starts going in for him soon as many shots as he’s still producing, and ofc Timo should help. 

Yeah provided Jack doesn't miss any more games, I think he finds his way to 100 points, even with Haula killing his assist total.  50 goals is still possible too, but that's starting to feel more dicey, unless the dam breaks soon.  But even though Jack seems just a little bit off, it still feels like only a matter of time before he gets hot again.  

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sharangovich should get REALLY comfortable dressing in street clothes come gamedays.  When you’re a guy who’s scored 4 goals over his last 38 GP (?!) and is racking up the minuses like no one’s business lately (even though some of that is due to VV slumping as of late) and really NEEDS to score to serve a purpose, that’s how it goes.  

Yeah, he's in a battle with Boqi for that spot and they are probably both battling for contracts. Not ideal, but it means we're deep. 

In spite of the lack of scoring this year, I'm still in Sher's camp. I think he brings a lot of other things, but yes, once you start getting top 6 time, when push comes to shove, you gotta be able to score enough on a good team. 

9 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Yeah, he's in a battle with Boqi for that spot and they are probably both battling for contracts. Not ideal, but it means we're deep. 

In spite of the lack of scoring this year, I'm still in Sher's camp. I think he brings a lot of other things, but yes, once you start getting top 6 time, when push comes to shove, you gotta be able to score enough on a good team. 

Sharangovich’s career is at its first crossroads…is he a guy who fattens up in garbage time after his team no longer has much to play for?  Is he really a guy who can at least consistently score 25+ goals per 82 GP?  Is he a good team or bad team Top 6?

This was a big season for him, in terms of trying to prove that he should continue to be a part of this thing…I suspect that his rights will be unloaded this offseason for a draft pick.  I think he’s an NHLer, but just think he’s been outpaced here.  He’ll get another look elsewhere.

It`s bad Sharangovich losing his value, but Haula and Tatar will not play here forever. Or we just can trade Yegor. He is complimentary streaky winger. We saw a lot of them. At least he can play pk role.  Sad for him, ok for team - we are using better players in the moment. Boqvist was good in the end of previous season too. But he wasnt in the first half of the actual season. If he will slow down, we can always sit him on the bench. Or Wood, who is very bad when can`t use his chances. 

btw Zacha is the same guy as he was. Like CR said, his sh% is better. We saw it once. But his 200-foot game is still where it was. Haula can score zero goals, but at least he reads game very well, he is good forechecker and can play on the pace with the team. Boston playin is slower hockey. Zacha would not be better player in Devils uniform this season, especially as third line player.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Speaking of Haula...so much has gone right this year, but figures that the guy the Devils get is shooting 7.4% BELOW his career average, and the guy the Devils trade to get him is shooting 4.8% ABOVE his career average.  Both currently have the EXACT same career shooting%, at 11.4.  If they were both shooting closer to that, Haula would actually have more goals than Zacha this year, hard as that is to believe.  It is what it is...if anything, it gives me hope that this year is an insane anomaly for Haula, driven by some of the worst luck imaginable, and hopefully next year he does a much better job at converting whatever chances he gets.  And hopefully remains on the third line (which is why he was acquired in the first place of course).

VV has allowed 12 goals over his last 3 GP, to the tune of an .829 save%.  And his team won all three games.  GREAT to see the Devils pick him up when he hasn't been his best, because he's definitely done the same a bunch this season.  

Despite the complaints about the lack of scoring, I have a feeling that Haula could be a playoff hero.  I believe he has the work ethic to overcome his lack of offensive production.  It could be he is putting to much pressure on himself to produce.

My opinion is that VV is a good goalie not a great goalie.  The Devils will have to be better in their own zone and continue to score goals if they have hopes for a deep run.

28 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Despite the complaints about the lack of scoring, I have a feeling that Haula could be a playoff hero.  I believe he has the work ethic to overcome his lack of offensive production.  It could be he is putting to much pressure on himself to produce.

My opinion is that VV is a good goalie not a great goalie.  The Devils will have to be better in their own zone and continue to score goals if they have hopes for a deep run.

And re:  the bolded, he was never brought here to be great.  He was brought here to be better than what was already in house, which he absolutely has been (and he's been healthy, which definitely hasn't been Mac's strength).  And he's been EXTREMELY cost-effective...he signed for less in AAV than Bernier did.

And yeah, Devils need to tighten up on D (they're not really as good in that department as their GA suggests), but I still think they will need a better coach in time.  Nothing's changing my mind on that front.  But like I've said a bunch, it's a talented team (even more so now) and they're absolute beasts in 3-on-3.  They're capable of banking points even with a meh head coach.  

Watching the game last night, it felt like the first time this season we had three lines that were a genuine threat. Which was great. I'll be interested to see what Lazar can bring to the fourth line. If he can do something to stop them getting penned in their own end so much, that'll be a win in my books.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And re:  the bolded, he was never brought here to be great.  He was brought here to be better than what was already in house, which he absolutely has been (and he's been healthy, which definitely hasn't been Mac's strength).  And he's been EXTREMELY cost-effective...he signed for less in AAV than Bernier did.

And yeah, Devils need to tighten up on D (they're not really as good in that department as their GA suggests), but I still think they will need a better coach in time.  Nothing's changing my mind on that front.  But like I've said a bunch, it's a talented team (even more so now) and they're absolute beasts in 3-on-3.  They're capable of banking points even with a meh head coach.  

Oh, I agree.  He is cost effective and he won games for the Devils.  Fitz made a great trade to acquire VV.  I’m just saying they have to continue scoring goals and be better on D, but not because VV is bad.

Regarding the coaching, he is not the best, but better than Hynes.  I think Hynes steered the Preds straight into mediocrity.

6 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Did the ice seem crappy on TV? I can tell you it was cold AF in the arena. Coldest I've ever been at an NHL game for sure.

To be honest, the ice seemed great from my living room sofa. It didn’t appear to be soft at all. I didn’t hear any comments from our players about it either way. That’s a nice little arena. 

Edited by Jerrydevil