GDT: 3/7/2022 Toronto Maple Leafs @ Your New Jersey Devils, 7:00 pm

Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

A - VV starting to seriously concern me.  Most of the goals tonight were on the poor defense but it's been a while since he's stolen a game.

B - Whole lot of puck watching out there last night.

C - I think some bad habits got exposed by a very talented team.

Not going to start going after Lindy (again) now, but the system is clearly flawed.  You just have to hope the talent comes to play and hides the issues.

A) VV's really not that far removed from a terrific run...this current slump is only five games.  If he turns it around in his next few, we'll forget about these five games in a hurry.  It's like I said in the Devils season thread...if he's not stopping pucks in the playoffs this year, that's when people are going to start to wonder...though of course, if come that time the Devils are giving up way too many Grade A chances, that has to be factored in.

B and C)  Lindy sometimes comes up with pretty good Plan As, but at times just seems to have no Plan Bs or Cs once teams adjust...unless "Hope Jack does Jack things, Dougie does Dougie things, VV stands on his head, etc" counts as a plan.

I know I get on Lindy a LOT, but let's face it, he wasn't ever getting another HC gig if not for the Devils, and even though I was on board with him getting the chance because of the fact that he had NHL experience (unlike his predecessor), there were several articles written at the time detailing his many weaknesses.  I have to be fair to him and point out that a number of kids did develop under his watch...even if I strongly suspect that these players were simply that talented that not even Lindy could get in their way, the fact is that he was the coach and guys like Jack, Nico, Bratt, etc have blossomed with him behind the bench.  I also have to be fair in admitting that even though I would like a different HC in place as soon as next season, I don't have a specific "That's the guy!" name in mind.  Trotz was intriguing to me but now he's very much off the board.  I'd like someone who'd actually be more of a defense-guy first...I still think the team would score plenty due to the talent on board, but I also think the sheer amount of opponents' wide-open looks and the Devils' running around in their own end (and asking their goalies to continually bail them out) would decrease.  Jacques Lemaire could've been great for this current team, if there was a way to bring him here from the 90s...but curious to see if the Devils can find that guy who brings that real blueprint with him that has them playing almost flawless hockey...that might see them get beat, but not because they're beating themselves.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A) VV's really not that far removed from a terrific run...this current slump is only five games.  If he turns it around in his next few, we'll forget about these five games in a hurry.  It's like I said in the Devils season thread...if he's not stopping pucks in the playoffs this year, that's when people are going to start to wonder...though of course, if come that time the Devils are giving up way too many Grade A chances, that has to be factored in.

B and C)  Lindy sometimes comes up with pretty good Plan As, but at times just seems to have no Plan Bs or Cs once teams adjust...unless "Hope Jack does Jack things, Dougie does Dougie things, VV stands on his head, etc" counts as a plan.

I know I get on Lindy a LOT, but let's face it, he wasn't ever getting another HC gig if not for the Devils, and even though I was on board with him getting the chance because of the fact that he had NHL experience (unlike his predecessor), there were several articles written at the time detailing his many weaknesses.  I have to be fair to him and point out that a number of kids did develop under his watch...even if I strongly suspect that these players were simply that talented that not even Lindy could get in their way, the fact is that he was the coach and guys like Jack, Nico, Bratt, etc have blossomed with him behind the bench.  I also have to be fair in admitting that even though I would like a different HC in place as soon as next season, I don't have a specific "That's the guy!" name in mind.  Trotz was intriguing to me but now he's very much off the board.  I'd like someone who'd actually be more of a defense-guy first...I still think the team would score plenty due to the talent on board, but I also think the sheer amount of opponents' wide-open looks and the Devils' running around in their own end (and asking their goalies to continually bail them out) would decrease.  Jacques Lemaire could've been great for this current team, if there was a way to bring him here from the 90s...but curious to see if the Devils can find that guy who brings that real blueprint with him that has them playing almost flawless hockey...that might see them get beat, but not because they're beating themselves.  

In game adjustments seem to be a problem for our coaching staff. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

In game adjustments seem to be a problem for our coaching staff. 

The assistants have clearly helped (there was really nowhere to go but up), but I thought Brunette was going to bring a little more than he has.  The power play is now league average and that's absolutely a big step forward, but it still looks more discombobulated than it should.  Feels like with their talent, it should be more consistent than it is.

I was all in favor of Brunette getting the gig, and who knows, maybe if he's the actual head coach we'll see more of his vision, but I just wonder if he'll be more Ruff Part Deux.  

• Like 1

At one point are the devils going to make an effort to have 2 effective PP units? It doesn’t make a ton of sense to me for Meier to be in the position he has been in on the PP. You’ve got 5 guys who are very dangerous with the puck right now - why not spread the talent so the second unit has a chance if the first unit is unsuccessful?

Maybe something like: 

Hischier

Hughes-Palat-Meier

Hamilton

and

Mercer

Tatar-Boqvist-Bratt

Severson

53 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The assistants have clearly helped (there was really nowhere to go but up), but I thought Brunette was going to bring a little more than he has.  The power play is now league average and that's absolutely a big step forward, but it still looks more discombobulated than it should.  Feels like with their talent, it should be more consistent than it is.

I was all in favor of Brunette getting the gig, and who knows, maybe if he's the actual head coach we'll see more of his vision, but I just wonder if he'll be more Ruff Part Deux.  

I know I joked about VVs pads last night but the Power Play is too predictable and too stagnant. That’s my major issue with it, and it’s exploitable as we’ve seen the last few games. Teams get our guys moving and end up scrambling, we used to do that but now that we’ve been countered they’re reverting to bad habits.

1 hour ago, nessus said:

At one point are the devils going to make an effort to have 2 effective PP units? It doesn’t make a ton of sense to me for Meier to be in the position he has been in on the PP. You’ve got 5 guys who are very dangerous with the puck right now - why not spread the talent so the second unit has a chance if the first unit is unsuccessful?

Maybe something like: 

Hischier

Hughes-Palat-Meier

Hamilton

and

Mercer

Tatar-Boqvist-Bratt

Severson

Isn't it best to load up the first unit, which gets most of the ice time?

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

Isn't it best to load up the first unit, which gets most of the ice time?

You’re just not maximizing the impact of your players that way though. Timo could be used much better in another place on that unit

10 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

Based on talent 

Basically-- And they wouldn't need to have to come from behind so much if they could adjust better. How many times have we seen them get exposed and give up odd man rushes many times in a single game? Some nights are just like last night though-- where they play 50ish min and then are just completely out to lunch for the other 10ish and it costs them.