GDT: 3/7/2022 Toronto Maple Leafs @ Your New Jersey Devils, 7:00 pm

Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

What would you have Lindy do? He’s not out there playing perimeter hockey and not stopping the puck. Lindy’s line shuffling actually worked well yet again. VV deserves the blame. He doesn’t get to hide behind Lindy.

It's a team loss no matter how we look at it. VV, Lindy, Jack, Timo, defense...I can't believe Haula is our hero lol.

9 minutes ago, devlman said:

What would you have Lindy do? He’s not out there playing perimeter hockey and not stopping the puck. Lindy’s line shuffling actually worked well yet again. VV deserves the blame. He doesn’t get to hide behind Lindy.

You see guys wide open in the same spots a lot under his watch.  Shouldn’t happen as often as it does.  VV was bailing them out a lot earlier when that would happen (and of course the Devils are often scoring 3+ themselves, which helps), but not as much now.  How was VV at fault on the first three goals?  Goals 1 and 3 were due to guys being left open and Goal 2 was on a breakaway against a guy who’s obviously a big star.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, devlman said:

We have to give Haula credit, he’s been playing good hockey lately.

Hope things are evening out for him some.  Can’t be more snakebit than he was for much of the season.

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You see guys wide open in the same spots a lot under his watch.  Shouldn’t happen as often as it does.  VV was bailing them out a lot earlier when that would happen (and of course the Devils are often scoring 3+ themselves, which helps), but not as much now.  How was VV at fault on the first three goals?  Goals 1 and 3 were due to guys being left open and Goal 2 was on a breakaway against a guy who’s obvious a big star.

Goals 1 and 3 were a result of bad defense and a goalie not accounting for the opposite wing. But Lindy is not telling them to run out of position. It’s game 60-something, the players have to know and execute better.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hope things are evening out for him some.  Can’t be more snakebit than he was for much of the season.

Apparently he sacrificed a chicken to Jobu, and now Jack is the one who can’t buy a goal. :lol:

Hockey is a weird sport. 

• Like 1

I think staying away from Jack has lightened the pressure to produce on him. He can also play his grind it out game on the 3rd line, too.

The 4th line again by the way got caved in time and time again. Im starting to realize how important the Lazar trade is.  

• Like 1

And Carolina wins in a 6-round SO.  Ugh.

Devils pretty much gotta win that game on 3/12.  Or so it feels.

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nicomo wasn’t talking about the playoffs.  Still time for VV to get hot again.

Oh gotcha.  If that's the case, I don't think much will change since we've primarily been playing above average hockey this season. Bumps will happen, but no reason to upset the apple cart just yet.  I think they'll continue to get the same share of playing time that they've been getting.

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Oh gotcha.  If that's the case, I don't think much will change since we've primarily been playing above average hockey this season. Bumps will happen, but no reason to upset the apple cart just yet.  I think they'll continue to get the same share of playing time that they've been getting.

Yeah it’s just their 5th regulation loss in their last 28 games.  This game was just one of those VERY aggravating losses…especially since they couldn’t score in the first (and of course couldn’t hang onto their third-period lead).  For the most part, the Devils have managed not to let losses pile up.  

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And Carolina wins in a 6-round SO.  Ugh.

Devils pretty much gotta win that game on 3/12.  Or so it feels.

I don't think we'll win the division nor do I care. Rod is a good coach. They didn't have a slump like us and I don't believe they will. I'm more concerned about the Devils making the same costly mistakes. 

Just now, Devs64 said:

I don't think we'll win the division nor do I care. Rod is a good coach. They didn't have a slump like us and I don't believe they will. I'm more concerned about the Devils making the same costly mistakes. 

I’m not really in division-or-bust mode either, just saying that if the Devils have any chance to take it, it’s probably only happening with a “clean” win over the Canes.  

I’m not really in division-or-bust mode either, just saying that if the Devils have any chance to take it, it’s probably only happening with a “clean” win over the Canes.  

Let's first do it in DC. Not the home ice at least. I still can't get why their home record is so much worse. 

2 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

Let's first do it in DC. Not the home ice at least. I still can't get why their home record is so much worse. 

They had won 8 out of 9 home games prior to losing this one (5 in OT).  That had been much less of a problem lately.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

FTFY

Yeah agree, mentioned that in a following post…needs to be a “clean” win, but Devs64 is also right, in that the Devils have to win Thursday…and probably Saturday too, heading into that game.  But the division already feels like a longshot anyway.  Carolina needs to go into a funk.  

• Like 1

I made a mistake watching the Matthews goal again….McLeod leaving the most dangerous goal scorer alone in the slot so he can lazily cheat defensively is beyond frustrating at that point in the game. I’ve really not liked his defensive game lately.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Bright spots:

- Mercer 10 game point streak 

- This 3rd line looks legit. That will be huge when (not if) the big guns heat up again 

Earlier in the year, I wasn’t sure Boqvist was  anything more than a 13th forward.   His game has seemly turned the corner and he looks much more confident and engaged.  He’s been a very productive member of the what seems like a really good 3rd line lately.   That’s huge 

• Like 1

A - VV starting to seriously concern me.  Most of the goals tonight were on the poor defense but it's been a while since he's stolen a game.

B - Whole lot of puck watching out there last night.

C - I think some bad habits got exposed by a very talented team.

Not going to start going after Lindy (again) now, but the system is clearly flawed.  You just have to hope the talent comes to play and hides the issues.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Earlier in the year, I wasn’t sure Boqvist was  anything more than a 13th forward.   His game has seemly turned the corner and he looks much more confident and engaged.  He’s been a very productive member of the what seems like a really good 3rd line lately.   That’s huge 

Boqvist can skate and has some slick moves.

Glad the Devils paid for Ondrej Palat.