GDT: Devils @ Caps - 9 March - 7p - MSG/ESPN+

jagknife

I think I'm winless on the season with GDTs and also vowed to never make another GDT this season, buuuuuut its a road game.... so maybe?

Pending Wood's injury and Lazar's visa, I wonder if Rango draws back in if Wood's out and Lazar's still sorting out paperwork

LFGD

• Like 3

I'm confused about Lazar....guy played 43 games for Vancouver this season, how does he not have a Visa? 

Anyway, hopefully we get back in the W column tonight. Caps don't have our number anymore the way they used to for the past several years.  Would like to see Jack scoring more again.

Let's Go Devils.

41 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm confused about Lazar....guy played 43 games for Vancouver this season, how does he not have a Visa? 

Anyway, hopefully we get back in the W column tonight. Caps don't have our number anymore the way they used to for the past several years.  Would like to see Jack scoring more again.

Let's Go Devils.

Maybe the reason Fitz traded for Lazar with two years left on his deal is because he knew it was going to be that long before Lazar’s visa issues would be cleared up?!

Anyway, as always, L G M F D!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Let's Go Devils.

So I’m guessing cause he’s a Canadian now going to be working for a US team, it has something to do with taxes and immigration and whatnot.

What I don’t understand is that for a league that has existed for over 100 years, Americans playing in Canada and vice versa is literally nothing new, how hasn’t this process been streamlined.

Hell, they let us have TSA Precheck now, and the “strict” security has only been a thing for 20+ years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

lol

Behind the penalty box about 6 rows mid ice and at this stage of my life, I will be not be too loud..........   🙂

I told this story a while back, but I went to a game back in the spring of 1989, at the old Cap Centre (what a dump THAT place was...looked like a big Pringle from the outside)...one of the scariest games that I've ever been to, as far as being an opposing fan in the other team's building goes.  For one, the Caps fans remembered Rod Langway being cut by Pat Verbeek's skate in the '88 playoffs (Devils would go on the eliminate the Caps in that second round series of course), and they were still PISSED.  Stevens at one point beat the absolute piss out of Verbeek, with both of them taking 17 minutes' worth of penalties (teams combined for over 170 PIM that day)...as Verbeek left the ice, he was showered with multiple beers.  The Devils trailed early but actually took a 3-2 lead at one point...I stopped cheering after the Devils' third goal, because I was smart enough to realize that my extremely skinny 18-year-old ass was going to get pummeled worse than Verbeek's if I kept it up...it was THAT kind of crowd.  Lots of angry "DEVILS SUCK!" chants, and "FLUUUUUUUKE!"

I didn't yet own a proper jersey, but I did wear a Devils cap (I'm amazed it wasn't ripped off my head at some point), and during the first intermission I had to take a leak...a few guys followed me for a while, and were threatening enough that I never felt comfortable going into a bathroom until they finally decided to stop their pursuit, which was at least 10 minutes later.  The Caps took a 4-3 lead as the second period ended, and the many Caps fans surrounding me let me have it...most were drunk enough and ornery enough that I didn't give them any ammo to fire them up any more than they already were.  When the Devils tied it up 4-4 in the third I didn't so much as make a peep...Caps took a 5-4 lead shortly after the third period began, and then eventually won 6-4...in an odd way I was relieved, because I figured with the Caps win, that the fans technically had no reason to be pissed off at ME anymore for liking a team that was mired in fifth place and going nowhere that year and had just lost.

Maybe it was all about a sheltered kid adjusting to a new experience, but at the time I was definitely nervous about the crowd.  They were an angry bunch...not funny, just angry.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Somebody please put Lindy in a home already. 

Every time I need a reminder as to why Lindy is so not the right HC for this team, he's almost too happy to provide one.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Every time I need a reminder as to why Lindy is so not the right HC for this team, he's almost too happy to provide one.  

I’m not sure what’s more annoying: playing Smith over Bahl, or breaking up the 3rd line that has been fantastic together. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I’m not sure what’s more annoying: playing Smith over Bahl, or breaking up the 3rd line that has been fantastic together. 

Both

• Like 1

Gotta admit, one thing that Mike Brown was 100% right on the money about is that you can be a meh and even bad head coach, but still occasionally have your team succeed and overcome you.  He made this point about John Hynes quite a bit in 2017-18, and although I didn’t agree with him about Hynes at the time, I see what he’s talking about now.

Lindy’s main claim to fame is somehow managing to have coached the Sabres for as long as he did…probably could have made a case for his firing happening much sooner than it did.  But of course if you last for that long and the wins compile out of sheer longevity, it’s easy for other teams to assume you must know SOMETHING.  But after Dallas it sure seemed as though everyone else had caught on…hence, the assistant gig with the Rangers, and that franchise seeming to say “Go ahead, all yours!”, while their fanbase chuckled at the Devils snatching him up.

I’m not worried about this long-term because I do think Fitz will address it…not sure as to exactly when, but he will.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Gotta admit, one thing that Mike Brown was 100% right on the money about is that you can be a meh and even bad head coach, but still occasionally have your team succeed and overcome you.  He made this point about John Hynes quite a bit in 2017-18, and although I didn’t agree with him about Hynes at the time, I see what he’s talking about now.

Lindy’s main claim to fame is somehow managing to have coached the Sabres for as long as he did…probably could have made a case for his firing happening much sooner than it did.  But of course if you last for that long and the wins compile out of sheer longevity, it’s easy for other teams to assume you must know SOMETHING.  But after Dallas it sure seemed as though everyone else had caught on…hence, the assistant gig with the Rangers, and that franchise seeming to say “Go ahead, all yours!”, while their fanbase chuckled at the Devils snatching him up.

I’m not worried about this long-term because I do think Fitz will address it…not sure as to exactly when, but he will.

He needs to go. This team has completely outgrown him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

He needs to go. This team has completely outgrown him.

Fitz ain't Lou...he won't do it until the offseason at the earliest (and I know you weren't implying that it could possibly happen now), and I can see this being a re-assignment within the organization more than a pure firing...I think Fitz sees something in Ruff on some level, especially with the way he defended him last season. 

I'm not sure Brunette will necessarily be all we're hoping for, but as Fitz has shown, these assistants don't always become pure extensions of the guy they worked with and then replaced.  I'm not quite as "Yeah Andrew!" as I was, but I think as a HC he'll bring more to the table than Lindy.  And could have some ideas of his own that are being over-ridden or simply not fully implemented.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Fitz ain't Lou...he won't do it until the offseason at the earliest (and I know you weren't implying that it could possibly happen now), and I can see this being a re-assignment within the organization more than a pure firing...I think Fitz sees something in Ruff on some level, especially with the way he defended him last season. 

I'm not sure Brunette will necessarily be all we're hoping for, but as Fitz has shown, these assistants don't always become pure extensions of the guy they worked with and then replaced.  I'm not quite as "Yeah Andrew!" as I was, but I think as a HC he'll bring more to the table than Lindy.  And could have some ideas of his own that are being over-ridden or simply not fully implemented.  

Why not pull a “Robbie Ftorek” right about now?  Pretty sure the last time it happened everyone here was celebrating on 6/10/2000

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Why not pull a “Robbie Ftorek” right about now?  Pretty sure the last time it happened everyone here was celebrating on 6/10/2000

Regardless of how I feel about Ruff or the reasons as to why the Devils are winning, I don't feel like he's lost the team by any stretch.  They're 19-5-4 in their last 28 games, and they do put forth a lot of effort every game...I think Fitz would rather just take his chances with what he knows, instead of shaking things up to that degree, as far as this season goes.

Ftorek had clearly lost HIS team, and it was obvious that the ONLY way out for Lou and the Devils was to make the drastic move and can him with only 8 games left in the regular season...the Devils were in a 5-10-2 nosedive and Ftorek's players couldn't STAND him at that point...and it wasn't just the Devils, because the same exact thing happened to him in Boston shortly thereafter, and he never got another chance to be an NHL head coach again.  

• Like 1