GDT: Devils vs Canes - 12 Mar - 7pm - MSG

jagknife

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Jack has no discernible personality…

… unless he’s at the jersey shore and has a few cold ones in him…

It's an act dude. I almost love how he treats them with either disdain or complete indifference. Erika Wachter can get him to lighten up sometimes and get him to smile. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 3

Get the feeling that the back-to-back coupled with travel caught up to both teams…third period was a bit disjointed all around.  But no complaints.  Very solid win tonight.  

• Like 4

Some final thoughts:

So nice that the Devils can have important players slumping here and there…and continue to keep scoring 3+ almost every night.  Timo is clearly taking time to adjust and you almost don’t even notice that he only has one goal in his first five games as a Devil.  That’s the sign of a good team.

Was great to see the crowd stand up and cheer that final minute of the third period.  Team earned every bit of that support.

This team might have a real playoff run in them…will come down to the goaltending and finding ways to cut down on some of those dangerous wide-open looks their opponents get.  I do think they’ll score a fair amount. 

• Like 3

Great game.  They took the league and didn’t look back.  They played a very sound game, without taking unnecessary risks, overall good puck management, imo.  They looked confident and in control.  I’m proud of this team.  I am especially proud of Akira coming back this year and really being great.

9 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

Great game.  They took the league and didn’t look back.  They played a very sound game, without taking unnecessary risks, overall good puck management, imo.  They looked confident and in control.  I’m proud of this team.  I am especially proud of Akira coming back this year and really being great.

What's great about the current goaltending situation is that VV made Blackwood irrelevant, as far as being in the mix for the #1 netminder goes (remember that the Devils tried to give Mac the early dibs on that role...he appeared in 7 out of the first 11 games, but of course couldn't stay healthy and wasn't all that good when he WAS playing...VV took that opportunity and ran with it).  And now Schmid has made Blackwood irrelevant as far as playing for the Devils at all, unless the unthinkable happens (either Schmid or VV suffering an injury). 

Now you have VV, who's put up a .910 save% on the season (league avg is .900) but has gone on two 15-game heaters that saw him go 12-1-1 in each one and put up save%s up .932 and .927, and Schmid, whose body of work is obviously not huge but it's been more than promising enough this season that Lindy has NO excuse to give Blackwood any games when VV and Schmid are healthy, unless it's at the very end of the season in a completely meaningless match (say, the Devils have already clinched a specific seed and can't possibly move up or down).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What's great about the current goaltending situation is that VV made Blackwood irrelevant, as far as being in the mix for the #1 netminder goes (remember that the Devils tried to give Mac the early dibs on that role...he appeared in 7 out of the first 11 games, but of course couldn't stay healthy and wasn't all that good when he WAS playing...VV took that opportunity and ran with it).  And now Schmid has made Blackwood irrelevant as far as playing for the Devils at all, unless the unthinkable happens (either Schmid or VV suffering an injury). 

Now you have VV, who's put up a .910 save% on the season (league avg is .900) but has gone on two 15-game heaters that saw him go 12-1-1 in each one and put up save%s up .932 and .927, and Schmid, whose body of work is obviously not huge but it's been more than promising enough this season that Lindy has NO excuse to give Blackwood any games when VV and Schmid are healthy, unless it's at the very end of the season in a completely meaningless match (say, the Devils have already clinched a specific seed and can't possibly move up or down).  

I’m really high on Schmid.  He looks so comfortable and composed.  He seems to have better rebound control too.

• Like 2

Just now, Puckbuster said:

I’m really high on Schmid.  He looks so comfortable and composed.  He seems to have better rebound control too.

He never should’ve been sent down in the first place. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He never should’ve been sent down in the first place. 

I really wish Fitz could have unloaded Blackwood at the deadline. I think Vanecek is the guy when the playoffs start but if he goes down, you can’t possibly trust Blackwood. It would have to be Schmid. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I really wish Fitz could have unloaded Blackwood at the deadline. I think Vanecek is the guy when the playoffs start but if he goes down, you can’t possibly trust Blackwood. It would have to be Schmid. 

What are the Devils' options with Blackwood? Can they demote him when he comes off the injured list?

22 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I suspect Fitz kept him as insurance in case either VV or Schmid suffer injury, and figured it wasn't worth giving that up for a 5th or 6th-rounder (which sadly is about what Blackwood is worth at this point).  Daws has been pretty meh with Utica this season...maybe if he was shredding it, Fitz does try to unload Mac at the deadline.  But I guess he figures Mac as insurance is the lesser of two evils.

Mac has appeared in 77 games the past three years and has put up an .898 save% and a GSAA of -18.8.  Sucks because he absolutely showed promise his first couple of seasons.  Guessing that some rebuilding team with not much to lose (the Sharks come to mind) maybe decide to give him a look...I'd be stunned if the Devils made him any offers.  But he's been bad enough and brittle enough the past few years that he may only get one more shot with a NHL team.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

What are the Devils' options with Blackwood? Can they demote him when he comes off the injured list?

They can put him on waivers and assign him to Utica if he clears out but for some reason I don’t see Fitz doing that. It just seems like Fitz doesn’t want to give up on Blackwood. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

49 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

They can put him on waivers and assign him to Utica if he clears out but for some reason I don’t see Fitz doing that. It just seems like Fitz doesn’t want to give up on Blackwood. 

VV's locked up for two more years and Schmid has a ELC year left next season and will be cheap.  I can't see Fitz keeping Mac here beyond this season.  In what was supposed to be a "Prove it" season, all the same sh!t happened yet again...inconsistent play, injuries, and of course, damned near nonexistent rebound control.  And he'll be entering his Age 26-27 season...not old, but kinda feels like maybe this simply is what he is. 

I hope that Fitz simply moves on.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

VV's locked up for two more years and Schmid has a ELC year left next season and will be cheap.  I can't see Fitz keeping Mac here beyond this season.  In what was supposed to be a "Prove it" season, all the same sh!t happened yet again...inconsistent play, injuries, and of course, damned near nonexistent rebound control.  And he'll be entering his Age 26-27 season...not old, but kinda feels like maybe this simply is what he is. 

I hope that Fitz simply moves on.

I do too, but I don’t think it happens until the off season. Like I don’t think Fitz will put him on waivers even though Schmid and VV are clearly the better goalies 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I do too, but I don’t think it happens until the off season. Like I don’t think Fitz will put him on waivers even though Schmid and VV are clearly the better goalies 

I agree with this. They'll need cover for any injuries or massive loss of form in the play-offs. I'd be surprised if he's back next season. Schmid has played very well this season and the team seem confident in him. I can't see how he doesn't get the gig full time next season.