GDT: Tampa @ Devils- Round 2 7:00 PM MSGSN

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If Jack was playing like himself I think NJ would have come away with it in regulation.

I think they are working out the chemistry.  It will happen.

This season is above and beyond what I expected and is why I’m so positive.  Everything is gravy for me.  They have a great future ahead of them.

8 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I think they are working out the chemistry.  It will happen.

This season is above and beyond what I expected and is why I’m so positive.  Everything is gravy for me.  They have a great future ahead of them.

It will definitely take time for Timo to fully click with certain guys, but I don’t really think it’s a chemistry thing for Jack right now. Pucks just aren’t going in for him ever since the injury (I believe he has 2 goals in 14 games since coming back), despite still getting a ton of SOG like usual (another 6 tonight). His shot looks noticeably different to me. I think he’s got a nagging issue with his shoulder. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Nico was an absolute monster in this one. 

Bratt otoh is watching his value drop by the day at this rate. 

Even with his JBITBPITNHL start, Bratt now has fewer points on the season than Nico and Dougie. If you want to be a $9 million man, you better be producing more than our $9 million defenseman.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nessus said:

Even with his JBITBPITNHL start, Bratt now has fewer points on the season than Nico and Dougie. If you want to be a $9 million man, you better be producing more than our $9 million defenseman.

Yeah he’s in quite the funk…pointless in 6 out of his last 7, and all of a sudden he’s racking up a lot of minuses, for whatever that’s worth.  Of course you never negotiate a new deal based on small samples, but I get the feeling Fitz and Bratt’s camp aren’t that close at the moment…especially if Bratt’s settling into being good, rather than potentially great.  I think Bratt’s agent thinks he’s due “possible superstar” money.

I think most of the fans on here and most Devils fans in general appreciate this season for what it's been:  one hell of a run, and a major step forward.  There's much to look forward to, and of course, we know guys who figure to be a huge part of this thing going forward will be joining the cause very soon.  

Here's the numbers since that 1-7-1 rut that admittedly was a little concerning at the time (though the Devils had built up enough of a cushion to not get stuck having to dig out of any holes):

A 22-6-5 record.  No back-to-back regulation losses...as a matter of fact, the regulation and SO losses to Tampa are the only back-to-back losses of ANY kind that the Devils have suffered since the losses to the Bruins back in December.

123 GF, 95 GA

Power Play:  20 for 85, 23.5% success rate (so better than the overall season rate, though I'll readily admit that they can be frustrating to watch at times...see last night's failed two minute 5-on-3.  But better than we make them out to be)

Penalty Kill:  72 for 87, 82.7% success rate (pretty damned good)

In what will come as a surprise to some, quite a few of these wins came against good teams.  Devils beat the Canes twice, the Penguins three times, the Rangers, the Jets, the Kings twice, the Golden Knights, the Avs...despite the implication in this GDT that the Devils had a tough time against the Lightning because...apparently they can't handle teams with playoff experience?

And as we know, all SEASON this Devils team has fought, played hard most nights, and has more comebacks than anyone.  I can't think of many games where they mailed it in or didn't show up, even when the schedule did them no favors.

They're tied for second OA in wins, and they rank third OA in points and losses.  Way up there in season GF and season GA.  This team has already banked 32 more points than the 2021-22 Devils did for the entire YEAR.

So for some of you (definitely not ALL, just some)...can this team be allowed to lose a game once in a while without it being some huge deal?  Because for most of this season that's EXACTLY what they've done...lost ONCE IN A WHILE.  It's gonna happen!  The Bruins recently dared to lose three out of four, to two "powerhouses" in the Red Wings and Blackhawks.  I just don't get the insta-pivot to negativity whenever the Devils face some adversity within a game...not saying you can't ever criticize (that 5-on-3 PP was infuritating, and the goals in the last minute of periods can be equally maddening), but geez, this team gets off to a slow start or falls behind by a goal or two and some are already mentally bailing and acting like the game's over...or acting like "Oh here we go again!"  This team has earned better than that.  Three times they fought back from being a goal down to tie things up and notch a point...and this while Hughes and Bratt are clearly not playing their best hockey.

L G M F D!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah he’s in quite the funk…pointless in 6 out of his last 7, and all of a sudden he’s racking up a lot of minuses, for whatever that’s worth.  Of course you never negotiate a new deal based on small samples, but I get the feeling Fitz and Bratt’s camp aren’t that close at the moment…especially if Bratt’s settling into being good, rather than potentially great.  I think Bratt’s agent thinks he’s due “possible superstar” money.

As a Jesper Bratt fantasy hockey owner, I’d really appreciate him waking up the next three weeks so carry my team to another Cup…

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

As a Jesper Bratt fantasy hockey owner, I’d really appreciate him waking up the next three weeks so carry my team to another Cup…

Yeah he's just one of those guys who can disappear for 5-10 games...and then look like one of the most dynamic players in the league for another 5-10 games.  But I've definitely dialed down my expectations when it comes to him...he's a 70-80 points per 82 GP guy who might flirt with 30 goals some seasons...that's still a fine Top 6 player, but he never be a guy who's beastly night in night out...I think the guy he's been since the start of last season (113 points over 124 GP) is what's reasonable to expect going forward.  He's not going to ever be some 100+ player...he'll just never be consistent enough to pull it off.

I'm curious as to what's going on with Jack.  It's like I said a while back...it's like there's someone out there who's doing a pretty good imitation of Jack, but it's not quite the real thing.  Like Nicomo pointed out, I especially notice the difference in his shot.  He's still getting volume but they just seem a lot less lethal.  

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's almost like... now hear me out, Bratt is doing what he always does and completely disappears towards the end of the season when the games get tougher.

Not coming at you directly CR, but this is Bratt's schtick.  It's how he's always been, and I don't see it changing at this point.

8x8, not a penny more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

It's almost like... now hear me out, Bratt is doing what he always does and completely disappears towards the end of the season when the games get tougher.

Not coming at you directly CR, but this is Bratt's schtick.  It's how he's always been, and I don't see it changing at this point.

8x8, not a penny more.

Figured the best way to prove or disprove the above is to see what his numbers were as his seasons drew to a close...just to pick a number, I went with his final 15 games (excluded his rookie year, as he clearly hit a wall that season).

2018-19:  4 G, 9 A (.875 PPG - season rate was .647)

2019-20:  6 G, 4 A (.667 PPG - season rate was .533)

2020-21:  2 G, 7 A (.600 PPG - season rate was .652)

2021-22:  4 G, 4 A (.533 PPG - season rate was .960...fair to keep in mind that Jack missing the remainder of the season hurt everyone down the stretch)

I'd say inconclusive at this point.  He still has 14 games to get it going again.  Let's see what he does down THIS homestretch.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think most of the fans on here and most Devils fans in general appreciate this season for what it's been:  one hell of a run, and a major step forward.  There's much to look forward to, and of course, we know guys who figure to be a huge part of this thing going forward will be joining the cause very soon.  

Here's the numbers since that 1-7-1 rut that admittedly was a little concerning at the time (though the Devils had built up enough of a cushion to not get stuck having to dig out of any holes):

A 22-6-5 record.  No back-to-back regulation losses...as a matter of fact, the regulation and SO losses to Tampa are the only back-to-back losses of ANY kind that the Devils have suffered since the losses to the Bruins back in December.

123 GF, 95 GA

Power Play:  20 for 85, 23.5% success rate (so better than the overall season rate, though I'll readily admit that they can be frustrating to watch at times...see last night's failed two minute 5-on-3.  But better than we make them out to be)

Penalty Kill:  72 for 87, 82.7% success rate (pretty damned good)

In what will come as a surprise to some, quite a few of these wins came against good teams.  Devils beat the Canes twice, the Penguins three times, the Rangers, the Jets, the Kings twice, the Golden Knights, the Avs...despite the implication in this GDT that the Devils had a tough time against the Lightning because...apparently they can't handle teams with playoff experience?

And as we know, all SEASON this Devils team has fought, played hard most nights, and has more comebacks than anyone.  I can't think of many games where they mailed it in or didn't show up, even when the schedule did them no favors.

They're tied for second OA in wins, and they rank third OA in points and losses.  Way up there in season GF and season GA.  This team has already banked 32 more points than the 2021-22 Devils did for the entire YEAR.

So for some of you (definitely not ALL, just some)...can this team be allowed to lose a game once in a while without it being some huge deal?  Because for most of this season that's EXACTLY what they've done...lost ONCE IN A WHILE.  It's gonna happen!  The Bruins recently dared to lose three out of four, to two "powerhouses" in the Red Wings and Blackhawks.  I just don't get the insta-pivot to negativity whenever the Devils face some adversity within a game...not saying you can't ever criticize (that 5-on-3 PP was infuritating, and the goals in the last minute of periods can be equally maddening), but geez, this team gets off to a slow start or falls behind by a goal or two and some are already mentally bailing and acting like the game's over...or acting like "Oh here we go again!"  This team has earned better than that.  Three times they fought back from being a goal down to tie things up and notch a point...and this while Hughes and Bratt are clearly not playing their best hockey.

L G M F D!!!

I just want to say that just because I'm critical and am honest about my perspective, that they're better than how they've played lately(for the most part), doesn't mean I'm being negative, throwing in the towel, or unappreciative of the season success.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I just want to say that just because I'm critical and am honest about my perspective, that they're better than how they've played lately(for the most part), doesn't mean I'm being negative, throwing in the towel, or unappreciative of the season success.

Wasn’t really thinking of you.  I do think this team is graded on the wrong curve though, in some circles.  If a few years go by and 100-point seasons are old hat and first-round exits have become the norm, I’ll understand harsher criticisms.  But I feel like a team ahead of schedule has earned some leeway.

An example…if the Devils of the past several seasons fell behind 2-0 quickly, it was definitely easy to think “Here we go”, on their way to a 5-1 or 7-2 loss or something like that.  This team has earned enough respect that I’m not so quick to say “One of those nights” if they look discombobulated early and fall behind.  Yet when that happens, some fans still act it’s already a loss in the making, or suddenly the team’s being exposed for not being as good as their record, etc.  I guess I simply wish some fans weren’t so quick to jump on the Devils as they are?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Nicomo said:

It will definitely take time for Timo to fully click with certain guys, but I don’t really think it’s a chemistry thing for Jack right now. Pucks just aren’t going in for him ever since the injury (I believe he has 2 goals in 14 games since coming back), despite still getting a ton of SOG like usual (another 6 tonight). His shot looks noticeably different to me. I think he’s got a nagging issue with his shoulder. 

I wouldn’t doubt that Jack and maybe a few players are dealing with injuries.  I just think they are going to figure out how to win despite the injuries because I’m sure most teams are dealing with injuries.