Non-Devils GDT: Blowshirts @ Canes, 3/23, 7 pm

Colorado Rockies 1976

With the Devils having an off-night tomorrow (hope that helps Jack begin to find a second wind), we got a big one between the Rangers and Canes to keep us busy.

So with the Canes up two points on the Devils with two games in hand, and the Rangers trailing by six points with the same number of games played, what does everyone want (beside the obvious “clean” win either way)?

It’s a VERY tough call, but I think I want Carolina to lose.  I know catching them won’t be easy even if the Canes do lose, but I REALLY like the idea of potentially not having to face the Canes or Rangers until the second round should the Devils manage to get there, and only having to face ONE of them.

Of course, should the Rangers lose, something to be said for the Rangers still trailing the Devils by 6 points with the Devils having a game in hand to boot.  It’s not a bad consolation.

So in what feels like a coin flip, I’ll root for a Canes loss, and hope that the Devils take both Friday and Saturday night’s games.  And take it from there.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, we still have a somewhat realistic shot at the division, so that’s what I’m rooting for. 

Even if wanting the Rags to win makes me feel like I need an extra shower. 

I can’t even bring myself to say “rooting for the Rangers to win” (or any variation of that)…that’s why I go with “rooting for the Canes to lose”, heh heh.

• Like 1

BTW hell of a homestand coming up for the Canes:

Tonight vs the Rangers

3/25 vs Leafs

3/26 vs Bruins

3/28 vs Lightning

Hate to say it, but if Carolina somehow gets through this stretch having banked 6 or more points…hats off to them, they’ll really have earned winning the Metro.  Unfortunately for the Devils, Carolina’s schedule eases up a lot after that…they have the Isles and Panthers in there, but in general not a terribly tough road at all.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BTW hell of a homestand coming up for the Canes:

Tonight vs the Rangers

3/25 vs Leafs

3/26 vs Bruins

3/28 vs Lightning

Hate to say it, but if Carolina somehow gets through this stretch having banked 6 or more points…hats off to them, they’ll really have earned winning the Metro.  Unfortunately for the Devils, Carolina’s schedule eases up a lot after that…they have the Isles and Panthers in there, but in general not a terribly tough road at all.  

Yeah they have 2 against Ottawa and Detroit, 1 against Nashville and Buffalo. You would think they win most of those but who knows. Would be nice if they lose this entire home stand but that's not likely either. 

37 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yeah they have 2 against Ottawa and Detroit, 1 against Nashville and Buffalo. You would think they win most of those but who knows. Would be nice if they lose this entire home stand but that's not likely either. 

If you're looking for any little silver linings (I know that I am), the Devils and Canes season ends on the same day:  4/13.  That means two extra games squeezed into that stretch for Carolina...maybe some fatigue sets in for them?  And of course they gotta get through these next four games.  

As we know, good teams lose to bad ones throughout the course of a long season, so who knows what happens, but the Devils schedule isn't too too bad (I bolded the teams that I consider to still be truly legit playoff contenders):

3/24   @ Buffalo

3/25   Ottawa

3/27   @ Islanders

3/30   Rangers

4/1   @ Blackhawks

4/2   @ Jets

4/4   Penguins

4/6   Columbus

4/8   @ Boston

4/11   Buffalo

4/13  @ Capitals

The Devils and Canes won't be even-up in games played until 4/10, believe it or not.  Then both play their final two games on 4/11 and 4/13.  

• Like 1

Haven’t watched but the Canes are up 1-0 after the first and the Rangers managed just three shots on goal.  

Rangers being outshot 29-14 but leading 2-1 in the bottom half of the third period.  

5 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Double edged sword to choose who to root for

If this winds up being a split with each team managing a clean regulation win…I’ll take it.  Better than this one becoming a three-pointer.

• Like 1

No extra points in either game…that feels like a win right there.

Up 4 on the Rangers with a game in hand.

Down 2 to the Canes with Carolina having a game in hand.

First place will still be tough to grab but still in play.

L G M F D!!!!

• Like 3