2023 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well at least the Mets won a second game in Florida so this won't be a complete disaster though it'd be nice to see Senga pitch well today.  Weird the Mets actually start the season with games on seven straight days, too bad MLB can't literally have all the games in warm-weather climates and domes in early April.

Yeah so used to lots of off-days early on.  Weird indeed.

5 minutes ago, '7' said:

So far this is about as awful a debut for Senga as you could imagine. Not a single out, terrible control, and when he has thrown strikes the ump ignores them.

Bad calls are still a serious problem in MLB.  I saw two Yankees called out on strikes yesterday that weren’t even close.

Senga got out of it, but damn he threw a lot of pitches.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, '7' said:

Great job getting out of it!

He’s settled in quite nicely…game really could’ve gotten away from him.

Mets take three out of four…terrific job by Senga to pitch into the 6th, given how tough that first was.  

3 hours ago, '7' said:

So far this is about as awful a debut for Senga as you could imagine. Not a single out, terrible control, and when he has thrown strikes the ump ignores them.

Amazing that he actually went right to the edge of unmitigated disaster and came back from that to get the team in the middle innings convincingly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Amazing that he actually went right to the edge of unmitigated disaster and came back from that to get the team in the middle innings convincingly.

Maybe it was nerves, but he does have that electric stuff. His outing started off looking like a young Wheeler, good stuff but poor control...and he wasn't known to have those issues in Japan. Luckily he got it together and completely settled in. He certainly has the stuff to succeed at this level.

Looks like Carrasco won't go much past five today, if that many...throwing a lot of pitches.  Also hit with two time violations.  

And now down 3-0.  I know he did some good things last year and this is only one start this year, but I'm just not a big Carrasco guy...that being said, if he's basically the #5 guy in the rotation, you can do worse for sure.  But man most days, he provides so little length...last season he averaged just 5.24 IP per start.  One of those guys who's going to lead to a lot of BP innings being thrown.

And he walks the first two hitters in the fifth before mercifully being given the hook.  Geez, pretty awful first start:  4+ IP, 4 BB, 1 HR, 96 pitches thrown.  Seems like he had three balls on damned near EVERYONE today. 

Hunter promptly allows the Brewers to single in one of Carrasco's runners.  4-0

Based loaded on yet another walk...5th one allowed by Mets pitching so far.  And then a groundout makes it 5-0.  Guess this will be the first clunker of this early season.

Aaaaaaand another walk.  4.1 IP and the Mets are rapidly approaching 120 pitches thrown.  And a single makes it 6-0.  And then a grand slam makes it 10-0.  Great relief job by Hunter...yikes.  This is your classic "Burn the tape" game.  At least these truly awful losses only count once.

And the inning finally comes to an end.  Brewers with 8 hits (including a two-run homer and a grand slam) and 6 walks.  Team ERA is taking quite the beating.  

Well at least the Mets are 3-2.  Good to see considering Nimmo, Lindor, Alonso and McNeil (and others) aren’t hitting much at all.  Alonso’s stranded a small village on the basepaths so far.  

13 hours ago, '7' said:

Maybe it was nerves, but he does have that electric stuff. His outing started off looking like a young Wheeler, good stuff but poor control...and he wasn't known to have those issues in Japan. Luckily he got it together and completely settled in. He certainly has the stuff to succeed at this level.

Someone made a good point, that long top of the first probably didn’t help re: the anticipation. 

Unlike Senga, Carrasco couldn’t find a way to get it into gear. Yeah when everyone is healthy he’s the fifth starter but right now it’s more like third starter with Verlander and Quintana out.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Mets slashing .201/.323/.308 so far in the very early going.  Of course it only takes a big game or two at this point to blow those numbers up, but lots of slow starts out of the gate.

First run through the rotation (outside of Carrasco's start) was pretty good...only Senga didn't get taken deep, but the rest only gave up a HR each.  

Not the prettiest of 3-2 starts overall, but they're 3-2.  I'll take it.  

On another note, I was waiting to see how much the changes would matter once actual games started and so far, very good. Game time is down a half hour so far which is hard to believe. All the changes have been the equivalent of a wonder drug for MLB

46 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

On another note, I was waiting to see how much the changes would matter once actual games started and so far, very good. Game time is down a half hour so far which is hard to believe. All the changes have been the equivalent of a wonder drug for MLB

Yeah some of these slowpokes are simply going to have to adapt or die.  End of story.

I still think it's kind of a joke that players refused to adapt to shifts by simply hitting the damned ball the other way, and simply kept stubbornly hitting right to where they knew fielders were going to be.  I don't love that they "won", if that makes any sense.

But yeah shorter games and more "efficient" use of game time is a huge plus.  3.5 - 4 hour NINE inning games are just ridiculous.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah some of these slowpokes are simply going to have to adapt or die.  End of story.

I still think it's kind of a joke that players refused to adapt to shifts by simply hitting the damned ball the other way, and simply kept stubbornly hitting right to where they knew fielders were going to be.  I don't love that they "won", if that makes any sense.

Yeah I don’t necessarily like that part although as Lindor pointed out the better fielding shortstops will also have more opportunities to make highlight reel plays without the shifts making it easy for them, so there’s that I suppose

Edited by NJDevs4978

16 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I don’t necessarily like that part although as Lindor pointed out the better fielding shortstops will also have more opportunities to make highlight reel plays without the shifts making it easy for them, so there’s that I suppose

Seems like Lindor doing some rationalizing.  It still amazes me that so many of these players flat-out REFUSED to adjust.  

The Devils are making it really easy not to care much about the Mets.

They can obviously turn it around but to get slammed 19-0 over two games…goddamn.  

26 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Joey Wiemer with a three run HR - what a novel concept playing your top prospects in the majors…take notes, Billy

Sad fact:

The Mets could've forfeitted the last two games and it would've looked better in the game log.  Would've been two 9-0 losses instead of 10-0 and 9-0.  

They actually scored some runs today at least.  Baby steps.

Oh and Eppler’s starting to strike me as a guy who’s not much of a GM unless he has the freedom to spend like a bunch of drunken sailors.  

Hard to believe that the Mets can actually come out of this trip with a 4-3 record.  But at 6-6 this game, there's a shot.  

After watching a young and engaged Devils team often give its all even when a lot of guys were tired or just didn't have it, I admittedly don't have tons of patience for a bunch of overpaid disinterested mercs, some of whom clearly came here for the cash...and not like people don't chase top dollar in ALL walks of life, so nothing against ballplayers to who do it...but that doesn't mean I have to embrace you the way I would embrace a homegrown kid who's much easier to grow emotionally attached to, as he ascends through the ranks.  Sorry Max, you don't get until June to stop sucking, especially after coming up big-time puny in some massive spots last year.  By May I need to see the guy who's being paid a fortune to be one of the best in the game.  

And of course Jesse Babe Ruth Winker gets the big hit in the 5th. With 2 outs...tough to stomach. Mets scored some runs, but couldn't get another big hit once Milwaukee tied it. Looks like they'll be swept