2023 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Funny how quickly they moved to postpone the home opener tomorrow minutes after the sweep finished lol

It’s obviously way early but already starting to feel like this could be a tough year…starting with the whole Diaz mess.

Naravaez to the DL for at least two months, good grief...at least it gives Alvarez a shot.  Heaven forbid he doesn't do well, I hope it doesn't shy the Mets away from promoting the other kids.  God knows they find excuses to block every prospect in tarnation.

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Only the Mets would get everyone excited about Alvarez for a day and a half, then throw a wet blanket on it by starting Nido in the home opener after a day off lol 

This season is shaping up to be as “Same Ol Mets” as it gets.  

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

You can already see the difference in the bullpen this year, no lead is safe except maybe for when Robertson pitches.  Everyone else looks like 2019-20 Mets bullpen bad.

Yeah I know they’re 5-4 now and haven’t fallen apart after that brutal Brewers series, but hard to feel that good about them at the moment.  Feels like a team that’s going to have to fight and claw to reach 90 wins.

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I know they’re 5-4 now and haven’t fallen apart after that brutal Brewers series, but hard to feel that good about them at the moment.  Feels like a team that’s going to have to fight and claw to reach 90 wins.

Mets don’t get to play the Marlins again till mid September either…welcome to the more ‘balanced’ schedule

Mets now 6-5.  Max with 5 scoreless but needed a ton of pitches to get through them.  At least they’re not digging themselves a hole.

Only a half-game out so far.  Of course it doesn't really matter that much this early...but sometimes you can get off to one of those 3-8 kinds of starts and just never quite get out of the hole.  So at least even with that brutal series against the Brewers, the start to the season is at least decent.

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

At least they nutted up against San Diego and beat an actual major league team. Even if we didn’t face their early season ace in one Seth Lugo 🫣

Yeah he’s off to a nice start, but let me see him keep that up…not like he was all that successful as a starter here in recent seasons.

Mets to me seem to be missing some of the energy and optimism that permeated last years team. Last year (up until Atlanta beat us out of the division) felt like a fresh start, a new chapter...optimism abound. This year sort of feels more businesslike. The team is expected to win. While they haven't stumbled out of the gate...they haven't exactly come out roaring either

For all the $ they've spent...I just can't believe how ho-hum the lineup. It's still very early...but in all of baseball they are 28th in team batting average, 25th in runs scored, 26th in slugging, 28th in hits. I mean that's just not gonna cut it. They need to go out and beat up (sweep) the A's here before they have to play LA.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

Yeah a blah start to the season for sure...but I'll take it over a disastrous one.  Must be weird to be the Yanks and already be five games back, despite doing fine from a W-L standpoint.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Mets to me seem to be missing some of the energy and optimism that permeated last years team. Last year (up until Atlanta beat us out of the division) felt like a fresh start, a new chapter...optimism abound. This year sort of feels more businesslike. The team is expected to win. While they haven't stumbled out of the gate...they haven't exactly come out roaring either

For all the $ they've spent...I just can't believe how ho-hum the lineup. It's still very early...but in all of baseball they are 28th in team batting average, 25th in runs scored, 26th in slugging, 28th in hits. I mean that's just not gonna cut it. They need to go out and beat up (sweep) the A's here before they have to play LA.

Going from the heightened intensity of the WBC probably doesn’t help players get motivated for April baseball, never mind the natural letdown that comes after a 101-win season leads to a three game exit. Doesn’t help our collective attention spans that the Devils are in the playoffs and Armageddon is upon us there either.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, '7' said:

Well they’re beating up on the A’s already.  Grand slam by Lindor after five walks in the inning.  

29 minutes ago, '7' said:

Talk about a bizarre looking line. Mets have 12 runs so far on only 5 hits

12 walks by A’s pitching…wow that’s hideous

So the A’s hit two batters and managed to walk SEVENTEEN hitters.  Goddamn that’s heinous…never seen anything like that.  The A’s pitchers combined to throw for 245 pitches…holy fvck!

• Thanks 1