2023 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

42 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL the kids and Alonso again trying to bail the Mets out, this time for rushing Carrasco back to face the Guardians to predictable results 

Carrasco sucks.  Dude is so friggin’ hittable.  

Damn Alvarez ties it up.

No more Vogelbach please.  And man did he gain back all his weight in record time.  

At least Lindor had his Mets moment, in a more meaningful situation than that stat-padding 3 HR game against the Yankees after we were out of it in 2020.

Amazing how that one win Wednesday seems to have supercharged the heart back in this team.  That and actually playing the kids who deserve to be playing.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The one real bummer is that it doesn’t really feel like the pitching is there to turn this season around…and they’ve had to work like hell just to get back to .500.

But if there’s one positive, it that the kids are indeed playing…and it may not be long before this team will need a different type of manager.  Buck seems to be a “roll with the veteran” guy to a fault.  If the Mets are able to start getting younger, not sure Buck (who seems VERY set in his ways) will be the right man for the job.

I never expected Ottavino to repeat last year, neither did the rest of the league hence why he only got a one year deal. They really need another reliable reliever from somewhere though, you can’t ask old man Robertson to pitch four times in five days.

10 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I never expected Ottavino to repeat last year, neither did the rest of the league hence why he only got a one year deal. They really need another reliable reliever from somewhere though, you can’t ask old man Robertson to pitch four times in five days.

Yeah Ottavino is your classic “year-to-year” reliever for sure.  He had a terrific year last season but you are 100% correct, no way he was going to repeat that this year.

And yeah even if this team hangs on to win this one (and hopefully wins again tonight), this pitching staff is not good enough.  No way.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Well Mets doing what they have to.  Still MUCH work to be done.  But at least the hole isn’t getting deeper at the moment.

29 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well it was nice while it lasted...back to being emasculated at Wrigley with Stroman celebrating like he won the World Series.

Yeah on the WFAN this morning, they were rightly pointing out all of the (unsustainable) miracles that the Mets needed just to win all of five games by one run each.  Not good.  

I've said this before but Senga sucks.  I know the ERA isn't terrible, but this friggin' guy walks 5.8 per 9 IP and also has a 1.521 WHIP.  Those are pure sh!t numbers.  Unfortunately going the Jap route really is like a box of chocolates...some of those guys succeed here and some just flat-out don't.  

Stroman's a joke...dude, you're a friggin .500 pitcher and you haven't won d!ck.  I'd tell him to act like he's been there before, but he wouldn't know, because he HASN'T been there before, really.  He's not some scrub, but good lord...you're not THAT good pal.  BTW your team isn't even playing .500 ball, just like last year...just sayin'.  

Why is Vogelbach still a thing here?  Along with clearly having gained all his weight back and then some, the guy with the .219 career average damned near never gets a hit.  Enough already.  

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

One of those kooky Colorado games…Mets fall behind 6-0, then take a 7-6 lead, then lose 10-7.  Alonso hits his 20th and continues to be the prototypical modern-day low-event hitter…a HR, a walk, or a K.  

19 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Two straight series losses to sub .500 teams, way to play down to the competition again and lay a wet fart onto last week's brief spurt of life

They’re doing EXACTLY what a .500 team does.  Teases followed by bad losses.  Not to mention the offense is too inconsistent and the pitching staff is just not good.  

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

For someone who's been in NY five minutes, Senga's home-road splits are nuts

Yeah you ain't kiddin'...a WHIP under 1.00 at home (even with all of the walks) and over 1.80 on the road.

Still not a big believer in him...even though he didn't walk anyone last night, he just walks so many...still at 5.1 BB per 9 IP.  

Talk about dodging a bullet (pun intended)…looks like Syndergaard might not have all that much left in the tank.  He’s now given up 10 HR in 52.2 IP this season…not to mention that he’s given up 64 hits and struck out only 35, and has a 7.71 ERA over his last 7 starts.  Imagine if he was doing this while being signed to a long-term deal here.

Just like Harvey, Noah’s never going to get his big payday.  His prime, just like Harvey’s, was far too short.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Shocking 1

So after yesterday's brutal start (5 ER and 3 HR given up in 5 IP against the Nationals), Noah sounds crushed...basically said he'd give up his hypothetical first-born to pitch like he once could.  Out of 96 pitches thrown yesterday, he induced exactly one swing and miss.  ONE.

He basically admitted that he's the weak link on the Dodgers right now, and just sounded like a guy who has no idea how to even begin to recapture his prior form.  I'm surprised because based on last season, he seemed like a guy who even if his Thor days were behind him for good, could at least be a decent 4th or 5th guy.  

I wonder given the complete lack of starting depth in the Mets organization, if the Dodgers decide to release him, do the Mets snag him and then send him to Syracuse and see if they can fix him enough to give him a few starts with the big club?  Not saying that I'm in favor of such a move or that I want him back, but with Peterson having already flamed out and Megill not exactly setting the world on fire, Noah suddenly becomes a "What the hell, if he sucks at AAA, we move on" option.  FWIW, his FIP is right about the same as Megill's.