Schmid sent down

slasher72

I’ll reserve judgement because I think this is mostly temporary to get all three goalies in games down the stretch but I will be livid if we start the playoffs with anyone other than VV and Schmid in net, provided they are both healthy of course.  

Edit:  I see on capfriendly that MB is an RFA this offseason.  I always just assumed he was UFA.  With that in mind, it does feel like the franchise is trying, too hard IMO, to salvage him as an asset with some level of value for this summer.  I can’t imagine what we would get for his rights beyond future considerations but maybe that factors into their thinking?  

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I’ll reserve judgement because I think this is mostly temporary to get all three goalies in games down the stretch but I will be livid if we start the playoffs with anyone other than VV and Schmid in net, provided they are both healthy of course.  

Edit:  I see on capfriendly that Ol' Yeller is an RFA this offseason.  I always just assumed he was UFA.  With that in mind, it does feel like the franchise is trying, too hard IMO, to salvage him as an asset with some level of value for this summer.  I can’t imagine what we would get for his rights beyond future considerations but maybe that factors into their thinking?  

Fixed one thing for you.

One thing that I've found through my many years as a sports fan...teams have that seemingly irrational soft spot for a player here and there, that gets seemingly endless chances to prove what we already know about him, in a way that will never make any sense to fans...Ol' Yeller fits that bill entirely.

Do I kinda-sorta understand trying to have three goalies ready to go come playoff time?  Yeah.

Do I agree with how they're going about it?  Simple answer:  no.  I say go with your best.  VV had done exactly what was expected:  give the Devils at least the league-average goaltending that was largely non-existent last season, and often he's been even better than that.  Schmid has been terrific in his appearances...enough so that I'm sorry, even if sending him back to Utica is simply a way to get him playing time, I still see it as the guy's being flat-out screwed over.  This is twice now this year that he's been sent down through absolutely no fault of his own, for a guy who's has no consistency and can't stay on the fvcking ice.  Seriously, does ANYONE get excited when Ol' Yeller has a good start anymore?  Does he ever parlay that into ANYTHING lasting?

Hopefully the fascination that Lindy and Fitz have with him will run its course VERY soon.  It's enough already.

10 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It would sure suck to miss out on winning the division because we need to give Blackwood his 528th chance to prove himself 

I don’t have the Devils winning the division anyway, but if they wind up falling to third because Ol’ Yeller just HAS to get another friggin’ chance…

• Like 1

Follow-up article said Ruff is indeed going with Vanecek / Blackwood in the Playoffs. "As Ruff mentioned, the Devils will roll with Vitek Vanecek and Mackenzie Blackwood as the 1A/1B goalie tandem in the 2023 Stanley Cup playoffs."

https://www.nj.com/devils/2023/03/devils-lindy-ruff-explains-team-sending-down-goalie-akira-schmid.html

Unless Ruff changes his mind it looks like we're stuck with this tandem the rest of the year. Not good. 

This is really fvcking stupid; feel for Akira here big time.  Guess Ol' Yeller's just gotta be a part of this thing no matter how little sense that makes.  

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is really fvcking stupid; feel for Akira here big time.  Guess Ol' Yeller's just gotta be a part of this thing no matter how little sense that makes.  

This doesn’t exactly reassure me they will do the right thing with Severson either tbh. 

9 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Follow-up article said Ruff is indeed going with Vanecek / Blackwood in the Playoffs. "As Ruff mentioned, the Devils will roll with Vitek Vanecek and Mackenzie Blackwood as the 1A/1B goalie tandem in the 2023 Stanley Cup playoffs."

https://www.nj.com/devils/2023/03/devils-lindy-ruff-explains-team-sending-down-goalie-akira-schmid.html

Unless Ruff changes his mind it looks like we're stuck with this tandem the rest of the year. Not good. 

80EE8710-1F37-4A50-B8FA-DA57D9FD68C3.gif

Just now, Nicomo said:

This doesn’t exactly reassure me they will do the right thing with Severson either tbh. 

How do you mean?  If you're worried that they'll re-sign him for next season, I don't know how they CAN.  Some idiot GM is going to offer him 4 or 5 years at $5.5 - 6 million AAV or so...we both know it.  I don't see how Fitz matches that even if there was some valid reason for wanting to...not with Timo, Bratt, and Mercer needing to get re-upped (even if Mercer's still isn't due until after next year).    

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

How do you mean?  If you're worried that they'll re-sign him for next season, I don't know how they CAN.  Some idiot GM is going to offer him 4 or 5 years at $5.5 - 6 million AAV or so...we both know it.  I don't see how Fitz matches that even if there was some valid reason for wanting to...not with Timo, Bratt, and Mercer needing to get re-upped (even if Mercer's still isn't due until after next year).    

If someone actually offer sheets Blackwood, Fitz better take the picks and run 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Like re-signing Severson instead of Bratt if they can’t get him done or something. This Blackwood infatuation just reeks of blind loyalty. And we’ve seen that with Fitz (and his predecessor) before. 

Idk, I’m sure I’m overreacting/being paranoid. I’ve been saying all season Severson is as good as gone whenever someone brings it up, but this is possibly the most head scratching move this regime has made to date. Kind of worries me. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

If someone actually offer sheets Blackwood, Fitz better take the picks and run 

Heh heh NO ONE'S doing that.  Maybe Fitz deals his rights for a 7th-rounder or something similar, but can't imagine that the tandem for next year isn't VV and Schmid.  That's bargain-priced goaltending right there, and the Devils are going to need cheap contracts (like L Hughes and Nemec) sprinkled throughout the roster.

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Like re-signing Severson instead of Bratt if they can’t get him done or something. This Blackwood infatuation just reeks of blind loyalty. And we’ve seen that with Fitz (and his predecessor) before. 

Idk, I’m sure I’m overreacting/being paranoid. I’ve been saying all season Severson is as good as gone whenever someone brings it up, but this is possibly the most head scratching move this regime has made to date. Kind of worries me. 

That would be a colossal failure of a pivot if Fitz ever did that.  If some of Bratt's money has to go towards some UFA forward, that's one thing...but there is NO reason to allocate any of that to Severson.  If anything I'd rather see such a deal go to Graves...but of course, ideally Bratt and Timo are re-signed, Seves (good riddance) and Graves (I like him but there's always gonna be cap casualties) are gone, and L Hughes/Nemec/Bahl/stopgap vet not named Smith join Hamilton, Siegs, and Marino on D.

re:  Ol' Yeller, I'm guessing he either blows or gets hurt.  At which point the Devils can just move the fvck on already. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Heh heh NO ONE'S doing that.  Maybe Fitz deals his rights for a 7th-rounder or something similar, but can't imagine that the tandem for next year isn't VV and Schmid.  That's bargain-priced goaltending right there, and the Devils are going to need cheap contracts (like L Hughes and Nemec) sprinkled throughout the roster.

That would be a colossal failure of a pivot if Fitz ever did that.  If some of Bratt's money has to go towards some UFA forward, that's one thing...but there is NO reason to allocate any of that to Severson.  If anything I'd rather see such a deal go to Graves...but of course, ideally Bratt and Timo are re-signed, Seves (good riddance) and Graves (I like him but there's always gonna be cap casualties) are gone, and L Hughes/Nemec/Bahl/stopgap vet not named Smith join Hamilton, Siegs, and Marino on D.

re:  Ol' Yeller, I'm guessing he either blows or gets hurt.  At which point the Devils can just move the fvck on already. 

If Fitz is only gonna get a 7th for him I'd rather they just put him through waivers, nobody is gonna claim him anyway. 

23 minutes ago, nessus said:

I'm not sure what's more ridiculous, sending Schmid to the AHL so Yeller can play in the playoffs, or Ruff referring to Yeller as 1B.

One day people will try to figure out how Lindy’s presence didn’t somehow prevent the 2022-23 Devils from finishing with over 100 points…

• Like 1

I think the decision was made because they can’t send down MB without clearing wavers.  Sending down Schmid gives Utica a viable goalie which they need and if there is an injury I think they are allowed to bring a goalie back up.  I could be wrong how rosters work in the playoffs.

• Like 2