GDT devils@islanders 7:30pm msgsn

pumpkin cutter

13 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I agree, but I don’t think they’re great either.  Essentially, this was a 3-1 loss and Sorokin was the X-factor.

It's too early to tell what Schmid will be.

VV was never brought here to be "great".  Again, he was brought in to be a clear and cost-effective upgrade over what was in house last season.  He's been every bit that.  He's also been healthy (Mac can only dream of such things) and it's not like he holds the Devils back from winning...and as has been pointed out, he's given the Devils Vezina-level goaltending for significant stretches.  It's almost like criticizing a steady 25-goal scorer because he can't score 40.  They can't all be great.    

We'll see how he handles being the #1 netminder in the playoffs.  I think the idea of bringing him in was to have a serviceable, potentially above-average goalie stopgap in house, and hopefully the Devils will do the unimaginable and have a homegrown kid from within who could challenge VV for the #1 spot in a couple of years.  But you can do a lot worse than him.

But on another note, like others have noted, could the Devils start tapping the friggin' Russian goalie market already?!  Some damned good ones do come out of there.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

Just now, Puckbuster said:

My biggest issue with the team is Ruff.  Stop fvcking with the lines.  Let this team build some chemistry with the addition of Timo.  This roster is great and they will figure it out. They don’t need the constant tinkering.

He's the biggest problem right now, AFAIC.  The roster still has some holes but overall I think it's very good...it does need some seasoning/experience, which it will get.  They just need someone who isn't a befuddled fossil coaching them.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's too early to tell what Schmid will be.

VV was never brought here to be "great".  Again, he was brought in to be a clear and cost-effective upgrade over what was in house last season.  He's been every bit that.  He's also been healthy (Mac can only dream of such things) and it's not like he holds the Devils back from winning...and as has been pointed out, he's given the Devils Vezina-level goaltending for significant stretches.  It's almost like criticizing a steady 25-goal scorer because he can't score 40.  They can't all be great.    

We'll see how he handles being the #1 netminder in the playoffs.  I think the idea of bringing him in was to have a serviceable, potentially above-average goalie stopgap in house, and hopefully the Devils will do the unimaginable and have a homegrown kid from within who could challenge VV for the #1 spot in a couple of years.  But you can do a lot worse than him.

But on another note, like others have noted, could the Devils start tapping the friggin' Russian goalie market already?!  Some damned good ones do come out of there.

I understand that VV is not here to be great.  I’m fine with that.  The Devils have a very well balanced team and an incredible amount of talent.  Last night, Sorokin had a Sorokin game.  In a 7 game series against the Devils, is it enough?  I don’t think so.  Eventually, pucks go in.

I was just making the distinction between the two teams.  Islanders, great goalie, but not enough talent.  Devils, a ton of talent and a balanced roster with good goalies.

I was a Akira fan, even before he came to N.A., and I do think he will be good.  I think that is the baseline, so yes, he could be better than good.

Ultimately, I think the Devils are in a good place with the goalie position.  It’s cost effective and, at worse, the are good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's the biggest problem right now, AFAIC.  The roster still has some holes but overall I think it's very good...it does need some seasoning/experience, which it will get.  They just need someone who isn't a befuddled fossil coaching them.  

I get the frustrations people have with Lindy , I share a lot of them , but I think when his time here is done and there is time to reflect I think he should get a lot of credit for developing the players to where they are today. 

You cant have a team on 100 points and not give credit to the coach. He has clearly instilled the right attitude in the young players. He has managed to get guys like Bratt to overcome their consistency issues ( Four seasons before Lindy 30ish points a season, the two since, 70 points a season).

I was reading the article written when the team clinched the other day and whe  you read what they were asking Lindy to do, he has delivered and then some. 

Is he the right coach to take this team forward into the future? Probably not. That being said would I begrudge him another season as the HC, again probably not, if he can start working on Luke and Nemec to bring out the best in them.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I get the frustrations people have with Lindy , I share a lot of them , but I think when his time here is done and there is time to reflect I think he should get a lot of credit for developing the players to where they are today. 

You cant have a team on 100 points and not give credit to the coach. He has clearly instilled the right attitude in the young players. He has managed to get guys like Bratt to overcome their consistency issues ( Four seasons before Lindy 30ish points a season, the two since, 70 points a season).

I was reading the article written when the team clinched the other day and whe  you read what they were asking Lindy to do, he has delivered and then some. 

Is he the right coach to take this team forward into the future? Probably not. That being said would I begrudge him another season as the HC, again probably not, if he can start working on Luke and Nemec to bring out the best in them.

Very fair post. Well said CD. 

37 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Hear what you’re saying and of course I respect it but I still feel like it’s a case of some guys having so much natural ability that they were going to take steps even with a shaky head coach.

As much as I complain about Lindy, I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know who’s out there, as far as that “Here’s the guy to take them to the next level!” goes.  

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

The whole season has felt like they won despite of Lindy not because of him

I definitely agree with a lot of what Chimaira said above, but lately, it really does feel like what you are describing here. 

11/7, Blackwood coming back, shuffling lines all game long. Give it your best, guys.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hear what you’re saying and of course I respect it but I still feel like it’s a case of some guys having so much natural ability that they were going to take steps even with a shaky head coach.

As much as I complain about Lindy, I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know who’s out there, as far as that “Here’s the guy to take them to the next level!” goes.  

We will never know for sure, but we have spent months laughing at the Rangers (rightly so) for not being able to develop the talent they have in Lafrenier and Kako (and the many others before them).

They went with a win now coach in Gallant and are seeing the results, but they don't seem to be building anything. I think it's the reverse of the Devil's, the Rangers players are developing in spite of coaching, where as the Devil's players have developed because the emphasis has been on making them better players at the expense of immediate results. 

It's a cliche but the saying talent only gets you so far is often proved right in the NHL. Lindy has given them the framework to succeed in the NHL. 

Feels like Lindy is actually a victim of his own success in a way. I think it's fair to say no one expected this team to get close to 100 points this season, and now we are here not capitalising on that will feel like a wasted opportunity. But from my perspective we are just further along the line in terms of progress than we expected. There will 100% be a time when Lindy is not the right guy, and I think Fitz has a plan for that. I just don't think he was expecting that to be so soon. 

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The whole season has felt like they won despite of Lindy not because of him

6 hours ago, nessus said:

I definitely agree with a lot of what Chimaira said above, but lately, it really does feel like what you are describing here. 

11/7, Blackwood coming back, shuffling lines all game long. Give it your best, guys.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying he is perfect, I agree with some of this. But I think that's the trade off for having a guy that the young guys clearly like and respect and are taking direction from. 

My hope is that by the time Lindy departs all the young guys know what it takes to be a consistent force in the NHL and the next coach who takes over doesn't have to worry about showing anyone the ropes. 

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

My biggest problem with the coaching is the PP. There’s just way too much talent on that 1st unit to be 17th in the league. 

I can't argue with this, they still haven't managed to figure it out and it's beyond frustrating. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nessus said:

His line shuffling to his credit has usually been on point. Can’t fault Lindy there.

19 minutes ago, devlman said:

His line shuffling to his credit has usually been on point. Can’t fault Lindy there.

I wish he would have never broken up Tatar - Nico - Mercer, though. Obviously Mercer was never going to stay quite that hot, but he hasn’t really been the same since. 

I’d also like to see Ruff leave Timo on one line for more than a game or two. It has to be tough for him to try and develop any chemistry with his new teammates like this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Don't get me wrong I am not saying he is perfect, I agree with some of this. But I think that's the trade off for having a guy that the young guys clearly like and respect and are taking direction from. 

My hope is that by the time Lindy departs all the young guys know what it takes to be a consistent force in the NHL and the next coach who takes over doesn't have to worry about showing anyone the ropes. 

I also think there could be a rationale for certain things he does that isn't immediately apparent. When we see a move like sending Schmid down, the knee-jerk reaction is "why are you so loyal to Blackwood?" But after I thought about it, it probably does make most sense to have 3 goalies ready to go for the playoffs, just in case something happens to VV. A bad goaltending situation immediately ruins any chance the Devils have. 

For the 11/7 thing, maybe it's how they plan to ease Luke in once he's ready. It's possible that management sees Luke as a legitimate difference maker from the start, similar to how Cale Makar was when he first came to the league. Maybe Ruff wants to see if 11/7 is an option for the last couple of weeks of the season instead of trying it when we're adding another variable in Luke.

48 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

If Michigan wins this weekend that means the earliest we could see Luke is the 2nd week in April, leaving him with just 4 games to gel before the playoffs

That's four more games than Cale Makar had in 2019.  He didn't play a single regular season game that year...but made his debut in the Avs' third game of the postseason and played in every single game from that point on.  Maybe Luke's path winds up being similar.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I wish he would have never broken up Tatar - Nico - Mercer, though. Obviously Mercer was never going to stay quite that hot, but he hasn’t really been the same since. 

I’d also like to see Ruff leave Timo on one line for more than a game or two. It has to be tough for him to try and develop any chemistry with his new teammates like this. 

I agree his line shuffles in between games can get a little over-thought. But his in-game changes usually work.

7 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

If Michigan wins this weekend that means the earliest we could see Luke is the 2nd week in April, leaving him with just 4 games to gel before the playoffs

They don’t play this weekend. There’s a stupid 2 week gap before the frozen 4. Their next game is April 6th. 

• Angry 1

30 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Oof I didn't even realize that. So we might not see Luke until mid April?

If they win on the 6th then the championship game is only 2 days later on the 8th. It’s a pretty weird schedule for the biggest game in college hockey.