2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

The regular season has officially come to a close with Colorado beating Nashville and wrapping up the Central. Now it’s playoff time! Let’s discuss the playoffs here. East matchups:  NJD-NYR; BOS-FLA; TOR-TB; NYI-CAR; West matchups: VGK-WPG; COL-SEA; EDM-LA; DAL-MIN

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No afternoon games, seems good. I hate those on Saturdays 

Edit: goddam Sportsnet showing bos/Florida instead of NJ. What a garbage series to show.

Counter argument: no afternoon games is a big miss by the league. Baseball’s in the early part of the season, why not stagger some starts and show off the NHL product?

I also got my playoff tshirt from fanatics. Surprisingly is good quality. Obviously we’ll see after I wash it but fresh out of the pack, the heather material is comfortable.

Edited by jagknife

15 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

I learned the hardway, turn the shirts and sweatshirts from fanatics inside out before washing/drying, the decals rub right off.

So far this is my third shirt from them. The other two are synthetic whatever that are perfect for workout shirts. Both have held up well. My only gripe about those: the freaking size tag that’s ironed on is like a 1x2 post it note right between your shoulder blades

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I hope the Bruins get swept.

I go into every playoff wanting 3 things: 

1.  Devils go as far as possible.  If they win the cup, everything else is irrelevant 

2.  The Rangers get eliminated ASAP.   Hopefully we take care of this ourselves but if not, I really don’t trust Carolina to take care of business.   

3.  The Leafs get eliminated ASAP.   Unless Vasilevsky goes off, I don’t think the Lightning have enough left in the tank to knock the Leafs out again.   

The Bruins are kind of my insurance policy against #2 & #3.   Then again, with the way they played over the last part of the season, if the Panthers get past the Bruins, they’re probably as dangerous as anyone. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I go into every playoff wanting 3 things: 

1.  Devils go as far as possible.  If they win the cup, everything else is irrelevant 

2.  The Rangers get eliminated ASAP.   Hopefully we take care of this ourselves but if not, I really don’t trust Carolina to take care of business.   

3.  The Leafs get eliminated ASAP.   Unless Vasilevsky goes off, I don’t think the Lightning have enough left in the tank to knock the Leafs out again.   

The Bruins are kind of my insurance policy against #2 & #3.   Then again, with the way they played over the last part of the season, if the Panthers get past the Bruins, they’re probably as dangerous as anyone. 

Should be rooting for Boston / Carolina to be eliminated so we have home ice the rest of the way. West doesn't matter cause we have more points than all of them. 

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Should be rooting for Boston / Carolina to be eliminated so we have home ice the rest of the way. West doesn't matter cause we have more points than all of them. 

I know a lot of people will disagree because of the ability to have last change but I don’t think home ice is that big of a deal most of the time.   Either you’re peaking at the right time or you’re not.   

10 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I know a lot of people will disagree because of the ability to have last change but I don’t think home ice is that big of a deal most of the time.   Either you’re peaking at the right time or you’re not.   

Game 7 at home is what matters more... 

"Of the 741 best-of-seven NHL playoff series played through 2022, 187 (25%) have resulted in a Game 7 with the home team holding a healthy 109-78 (58%) edge. The team that scores first has a 141-46 (75%) edge, including a 5-1 record in the 2022 postseason. "

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I can't do that because if the Devils do lose I'm gonna need those teams to help stop the Rags. After NJ is out my only desire is Rags lose.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

It should also be mentioned that the Devils were a really good road team this year 

37 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It should also be mentioned that the Devils were a really good road team this year 

It evened out a lot, especially since January. December really skewed it too with 7 home losses that month. 

Home - 24-13-4

Away - 28-9-4

Edited by Satans Hockey

10 hours ago, Lateralous said:

The only reason I think home ice is fairly important to us in particular is because of how young our team is. I think for a lot of them they might get some butterflies and jitters and feel some pressure, at least maybe in Game 1 or early on in the series. Being at home should help calm the nerves, knowing that everybody is cheering them and supporting them. Going into any other barn, especially someone like the Rangers , our most hated rival, could potentially be unsettling for them. 

9 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Anyone see in advance what the planned overflow channels are if we get overtime? I know tnt/tbs used true TV last year but what about the espn channels. 

Any word if the nhl network will be used? 

God I freaking hope not, "we want to make hockey more accessable.... so we're going to put playoff games on this channel most providers required $25 more just to have..." does sound like a typical league oversight, though...

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

God I freaking hope not, "we want to make hockey more accessable.... so we're going to put playoff games on this channel most providers required $25 more just to have..." does sound like a typical league oversight, though...

It's happened in the past when a game would go in ot and the late game would have started, it would get bumped to the nhl network till the ot game was over, that's why I was asking if anyone saw anything about which channels would be used.

I always watch all the playoff games but sometimes it's hard to dvr games with possible ot. 

NHL Network is like $6 a month for me so I just sign up the day of the world juniors and cancel it the last day of the world juniors and then usually sign up for it for the playoffs. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

This is what I was looking for, I forgot what they did last year... 

https://awfulannouncing.com/nhl/first-nhl-playoffs-espn-turner-big-networks-overflow.html

" The current plan appears to be for ESPNU (primarily) and ESPNEWS as overflow channels on the Disney side, and TruTV and HLN as overflow channels on the Turner side. " 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

This is what I was looking for, I forgot what they did last year... 

https://awfulannouncing.com/nhl/first-nhl-playoffs-espn-turner-big-networks-overflow.html

" The current plan appears to be for ESPNU (primarily) and ESPNEWS as overflow channels on the Disney side, and TruTV and HLN as overflow channels on the Turner side. " 

How in the actual fvck would an NHL playoff game be on the Headline News channel? I mean seriously, what?  There are like 50 billion channels and networks, you're telling me you can't find a more appropriate and available sports channel to show a game in a pinch besides a News station?  It just makes the league and the sport look second-rate and unprepared, when it isn't or shouldn't be.

I know they're different sports, but I don't recall the NFL or MLB having this problem.