2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

10 minutes ago, jagknife said:

My order of “preference”

1) Vegas

2) Seattle

3) Dallas

4) Florida

5) Black Sox type scandal engrossing the league and canceling the Final, vacated trophy this year

6) Oilers

7) Canes

Good list. I’d switch up 5 and 6 though. If Edmonton won, I’d be okay with it. 

I know I'll be in the minority and this will be an unpopular post, but I actually kind of want the Canes to win the Cup. I know they've had our number for a little bit and there's a "rivalry" that goes back to 02, 06, 09, and now this year, but we're not in the same division as them, and although I don't like them at all, I don't hate them nearly as much as I do the Rags, Flyers, and even other teams like the Pens, Leafs, and so forth. I can't hate the entire league or else that hate would just lose its meaning and effectiveness. 

Beyond that, the main reason I wouldn't necessarily be upset if they won the Cup this year is because they beat us and it's the only way that I would feel like a worthy team won it all this year. When you look at the rest of the league and who's still in, I don't feel like any of those teams is better than us at all. I actually had us going to the conference finals in my bracket, and with my head I was thinking Boston would beat us, but of course with my heart I was hoping we could beat them. No matter who comes out of the west, whether it's Dallas, Seattle, Edmonton, or even Vegas, we beat most of those teams at least once or twice during the regular season, and I'm pretty confident we could have done it again. 

Same thing in the east - I mean, florida? Sure they've had a really nice run and upset two pretty good teams so far to start these playoffs, but there's no way in hell you're going to get me to say that they're better than us and that we wouldn't have been able to take them down. 

So yeah, I'm not rooting for Carolina at all, but if you ask me if I'd be upset if they win, I really won't be.  I'll be more upset if a two year old team in Seattle wins, a 5 year old team in Vegas wins, a Canadian team wins (I find it hilarious that a Canadian team hasn't won the cup in 30 years and I want that streak to keep going), or a vastly overachieving Panthers team. 

Edited by NJDfan1711

44 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I know I'll be in the minority and this will be an unpopular post, but I actually kind of want the Canes to win the Cup. I know they've had our number for a little bit and there's a "rivalry" that goes back to 02, 06, 09, and now this year, but we're not in the same division as them, and although I don't like them at all, I don't hate them nearly as much as I do the Rags, Flyers, and even other teams like the Pens, Leafs, and so forth. I can't hate the entire league or else that hate would just lose its meaning and effectiveness. 

Who’s going to tell him…

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Who’s going to tell him…

Lol, whoops, I meant to say we haven't been in the same division as them for very long.  To me it's so insignificant as you can obviously see because I still don't even consider them to be a major rival with us and I often forget with the stupid new division alignment that they're actually in the same division as us. 

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Lol, whoops, I meant to say we haven't been in the same division as them for very long.  To me it's so insignificant as you can obviously see because I still don't even consider them to be a major rival with us and I often forget with the stupid new division alignment that they're actually in the same division as us. 

It’s actually been 10 years believe it or not. I still miss the old divisions. 

9 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Jesus, has it really? It feels like two or three.  I hate the current divisions, and hate the current playoff format even more. 

I am 100% in favor of going back to the conference 1-8 format. The only reason we have these divisions was because of the realignment after Vegas came in. 

'Member when the old Atlantic division was New Jersey, Philly, Pittsburgh, NYR, NYI? I 'member. At least those are the five that stick out to me as "fvck these guys" games. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2
  • EvilHeart 1

27 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Why is this game starting at 10pm on a Sunday night?   Can’t Edmonton have the same late afternoon local start time we had last Sunday?   Would love to watch but I’m not staying up and starting the work week that way.    

I think the NHL was planning on there being a Florida-Toronto game 6 at 7 or 7:30 and the Vegas-Edmonton game was gonna be the second half of the double-header. I guess they decided not to change the start time. They should’ve made the start time a TBA based on if there would be another game.

Edited by MadDog2020

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think the NHL was planning on there being a Florida-Toronto game 6 at 7 or 7:30 and the Vegas-Edmonton game was gonna be the second half of the double-header. I guess they decided not to change the start time. They should’ve made the start time a TBA based on if there would be another game.

Bizarre that there are still people out there that count on Toronto for anything in the playoffs but that makes more sense.   Thanks.  

• Like 1

My wife and I grew up in NC (long before the Hurricanes were there), and both our entire families are there. Their excitement and enthusiasm during the 'Canes run to the Cup in '06 is what got my wife interested in hockey in the first place, for which I am forever indebted to them. Anyway, they all pull for the Devils any time we're not playing against each other, so we return the favor. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brick Pig said:

My wife and I grew up in NC (long before the Hurricanes were there), and both our entire families are there. Their excitement and enthusiasm during the 'Canes run to the Cup in '06 is what got my wife interested in hockey in the first place, for which I am forever indebted to them. Anyway, they all pull for the Devils any time we're not playing against each other, so we return the favor. 

I have family in NC also and  I won't root for Canes. 😄

• Haha 1

Asheville is one of my absolute favorite cities to visit, but yeah, fvck the Canes. No way I’m pulling for those a$$holes. 

Out of the teams left I’d probably prefer Dallas to win it all. Let Joe Pavelski get his Cup. 

• Like 1