2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If Jack says he wants to play with someone that means Fitz is just going to make a trade? I don't follow.

Yeah, either that, or is the implication that someone on the Panthers wanted to play with Tkachuk and their GM made that happen?  

If that's the case, it doesn't seem like the best or wisest business decision to acquire players just because someone on the team wants you to. Even if he is your star player. 

45 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, either that, or is the implication that someone on the Panthers wanted to play with Tkachuk and their GM made that happen?  

If that's the case, it doesn't seem like the best or wisest business decision to acquire players just because someone on the team wants you to. Even if he is your star player. 

Happens all the time in the NBA, I mean, some can say the All Stars in the NBA hold more power over a team then the actual GM half the time.

If they let Jack make personnel decisions then we probably wouldn’t have ever traded Ty Smith for Marino. Jack should definitely have a voice in the room (along with Nico), but at the end of the day Fitz has to have final say. It’s his job on the line, not Jack’s. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Muevelos said:

Happens all the time in the NBA, I mean, some can say the All Stars in the NBA hold more power over a team then the actual GM half the time.

I don't doubt it happens in the NBA, buncha primadonnas that can wave their want and command their GMs act on their demands.  But the NHL/Panthers?

I wanted Tkachuk last summer as much as anyone but after we saw the return the Panthers offered, even in hindsight, what could we have possibly given up to beat that?   Bratt, Holtz, Severson, 2nd overall in 2022 (Nemec) and this years 1st?   Even if he's not as good, we're in a better place as a team with the package of spare parts we gave up for Timo.      

• Like 2

Just now, Lateralous said:

I wanted Tkachuk last summer as much as anyone but after we saw the return the Panthers offered, even in hindsight, what could we have possibly given up to beat that?   Bratt, Holtz, Severson, 2nd overall in 2022 (Nemec) and this years 1st?   Even if he's not as good, we're in a better place as a team with the package of spare parts we gave up for Timo.      

I thought I read he wanted to go to FLA which is part of what made the deal possible. He wanted to be in the Miami are and near his parents.

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I thought I read he wanted to go to FLA which is part of what made the deal possible. He wanted to be in the Miami are and near his parents.

You're probably right but then that means Florida had all the leverage and still gave up a 115 pt forward, a top pair D and a conditional first.   If Tkachuk was open to multiple destinations, the Florida bid could have been even higher.   As great as Tkachuk is, it just wasn't possible for the Devils to realistically land him.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

You're probably right but then that means Florida had all the leverage and still gave up a 115 pt forward, a top pair D and a conditional first.   If Tkachuk was open to multiple destinations, the Florida bid could have been even higher.   As great as Tkachuk is, it just wasn't possible for the Devils to realistically land him.    

There was a rumor Fitz tried and the No2 overall pick was on the table. Fitz tried. That is good enough for most people.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Dallas forces a game 6. Benn is off the hook. He should buy each of his teammates a Rolex.

It would never happen but I would love to see DeBoer say “sorry Jamie, we’re sticking with the same lineup that won the last two games” and scratch him for Game 6

• Like 4

21 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Dallas forces a game 6. Benn is off the hook. He should buy each of his teammates a Rolex.

I see that play and I can't stop comparing it to the Bernier sequence in 2012. If we came back in that series, I would bet Bernier would have done something, lmao. 

• Like 1

Pretty crazy how the NBA and NHL both had a sweep in one Conference Finals series and in the other Conference Finals series one team was up 3-0 and now one of them has won three straight to force a game 7, and the other one could very well be on the same path.