2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

59 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Of all the guys eating into their cap I think Nylander is the easier guy to move. Fridge said Pittsburgh is waiting to see what happens to Dubas. Wonder who the new guy would be. That Rielly contract is rough...

IF they lose tonight. I don't even know where they go from here.  They traded away so much of their capital and only have a combined 5 picks total in the top four rounds of the next three drafts COMBINED!  Dubas is such a clown.  He's literally pissed away everything trying to win with his "core"    

6 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

IF they lose tonight. I don't even know where they go from here.  They traded away so much of their capital and only have a combined 5 picks total in the top four rounds of the next three drafts COMBINED!  Dubas is such a clown.  He's literally pissed away everything trying to win with his "core"    

Signing Tavares was stupid. They didn’t need to do that. It fvcked up their whole salary structure.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

On one hand, I agree with you and on the other I'm not sure I blame him. This was the core he was given. This was the core Lou and Shanahan set him up with. I'm not sure any of the board/owners would have been down if he tried to shake up their roster sooner.

Maybe he could have made some personnel changes but that doesn't make the guys they're paying 30mm produce. That's on the players. He was tied to this core.

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Here's the breakdown of the Leafs' picks for the first four rounds over the next 3 seasons:

2023:  Bos 1st 

2024:  Their 1st, Isles 3rd, Their 4th

2025:  Their 3rd

If they do wind up making a big move with a core piece or two, they can try to re-stock some of their lost picks.  But yeah if you win a Cup or at least sniff an actual SCF, you can live with a decimated draft pick cabinet.  When you spend so many years not getting past the first round and then FINALLY move on to the second round but might not even win a game there, then that's a lot tougher to swallow.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

On one hand, I agree with you and on the other I'm not sure I blame him. This was the core he was given. This was the core Lou and Shanahan set him up with. I'm not sure any of the board/owners would have been down if he tried to shake up their roster sooner.

Maybe he could have made some personnel changes but that doesn't make the guys they're paying 30mm produce. That's on the players. He was tied to this core.

That’s the thing.  They handed him Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Reilly, Kadri, Hyman and Connor Brown while they were mostly on ELCs.  

Dubas was in charge by the time they made the decision to sign Tavares even though their 2C Kadri was coming off a 30 goal campaign.  When asked if this meant one of the other guys would be moved he had that defiant press conference where he said something to the effect of “we can and will keep everyone.  

He’s the one who blinked in the Nylander, Marner and Matthews contracts paying top dollar while giving them deals that didn’t buy many UFA years.

Since then it’s been all cap gymnastics to ice any kind of depth.   Dubas decided on this top heavy model where 20% of the team makes over 50% of the cap and has stubbornly stuck to it every year despite the results never really getting any better.  I don’t for one second believe that their repeated failures are just because the core are a bunch of losers.  I think a better GM would have resisted the fantasy level GM signing of Tavares, done better in contract negotiations with a bunch of guys who had yet to prove anything and in general, built a team with much more depth.  We just won a series where 3 of our 4 best forwards didn’t score a single goal (not counting Bratt’s EN).  Their core has certainly never enjoyed that level of support.  

Sorry for the long rant, I just don’t get it with Dubas and the way he acts like he’s the one playing 3D chess while failing miserably at his job just rubs me the wrong way.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

That’s the thing.  They handed him Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Reilly, Kadri, Hyman and Connor Brown while they were mostly on ELCs.  

Dubas was in charge by the time they made the decision to sign Tavares even though their 2C Kadri was coming off a 30 goal campaign.  When asked if this meant one of the other guys would be moved he had that defiant press conference where he said something to the effect of “we can and will keep everyone.  

He’s the one who blinked in the Nylander, Marner and Matthews contracts paying top dollar while giving them deals that didn’t buy many UFA years.

Since then it’s been all cap gymnastics to ice any kind of depth.   Dubas decided on this top heavy model where 20% of the team makes over 50% of the cap and has stubbornly stuck to it every year despite the results never really getting any better.  I don’t for one second believe that their repeated failures are just because the core are a bunch of losers.  I think a better GM would have resisted the fantasy level GM signing of Tavares, done better in contract negotiations with a bunch of guys who had yet to prove anything and in general, built a team with much more depth.  We just won a series where 3 of our 4 best forwards didn’t score a single goal (not counting Bratt’s EN).  Their core has certainly never enjoyed that level of support.  

Sorry for the long rant, I just don’t get it with Dubas and the way he acts like he’s the one playing 3D chess while failing miserably at his job just rubs me the wrong way.  

I concede and yield the floor-- Dubas is a donut. Bravo sir!

Jennifer Lopez Applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance

• Haha 3

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Leafs avoid the broom

Matthew Tkachuk with two punches with the glove on right to the face of Marner at the end there - really seems like it's almost suspension worthy.  It's so amazing to me, Keith Tkachuk was a good player, and definitely physical, but he wasn't dirty.  His kids on the other hand both seem like two of the biggest pieces of sh!t on the planet.  He might be proud of their skill, but he should be ashamed of their character.  

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I might be in the minority but I find this Oilers team extremely unlikable, same with Vegas. Would like to see Dallas or Seattle come out of the West over those 2.

Can't root for the Oilers, blatant tankers that would still be in the toilet had they not lucked into the best player since Gretzky.  

14 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can't root for the Oilers, blatant tankers that would still be in the toilet had they not lucked into the best player since Gretzky.  

You can the same about Crosby's Penguins, the recent Blackhawk Cup winners...even the current Devils, really.  I know generally the PLAYERS are always trying (it does THEM no good to tank, as they're playing for jobs and to stay in the NHL), but some of these franchises weren't exactly motivated to try to improve their team's fortunes in season.

And if you really think about it...can you blame them?  Trying to fill holes almost primarily by overpriced UFAs doesn't really work.  And of course even if you get some good years up front, a lot of times you stuck with multiple decline years that hamper flexibility.  What has a much better chance of building something for long-term success...band-aiding through free agents being overpaid for what they were as opposed to what they are, or dealing with 4-5 years of a lot of suckage, but hopefully by the end you have enough of a good young core that you can supplement it through other pieces (or hopefully hit on some later-round picks).

Put it this way...the Devils look like they're gonna be good for a while, and that's awesome, but you know that some fans will say, "Yeah, two #1 picks, a #4, a #2...kinda makes it easier"...just like we used to say about the two #1s and two #2s Penguins.  Doesn't mean that I'm apologizing for the Devils' draft luck, or downplaying Fitz making some good moves...just that it's really hard to build something lasting if you don't have 4-5 rotten years to collect high-slot draft picks.

9 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I might be in the minority but I find this Oilers team extremely unlikable, same with Vegas. Would like to see Dallas or Seattle come out of the West over those 2.

I like a lot about Dallas and I spent a good amount of time watching them. Some really fun young players there. I'm a huge Robo fan. But... fvck Ryan Sutter.

6 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

let's go stars! 

I would love to see Pavelski get one (a Cup). Great vet. I like those loyal soldiers. Oetter is a hungry boi too. 

Also I think it's funny when the favorites like EDM/BOS get spoiled. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Just now, RizzMB30 said:

I would love to see Pavelski get one (a Cup) Great vet. I like those loyal soldiers. Oetter is a hungry boi too. 

Also I think it's funny when the favorites like EDM/BOS get spoiled. 

i have a bff in dallas and been there like 20 times. so that's my reasoning for liking them. seattle. only been there once. nice city and volcano, but big d for me. 

22 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

i have a bff in dallas and been there like 20 times. so that's my reasoning for liking them. seattle. only been there once. nice city and volcano, but big d for me. 

You know, in the past, one would be relentlessly roasted for the bolded part of your post…

… just sayin hahaha

37 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

So once the Devils are done each year, I basically just hate watch the Rangers and Leafs.   Thankfully, we took care of business ourselves against the Rangers.  One down, one to go.  

LGMFP!!!! 

panthers aint no joke. i can see them destroy carolina next round.