GDT: Devils @ Hurricanes - Game 2 8:00PM 5/5 TNT

Nicomo

19 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

kinda fun to start evaluating players by how they will do in the playoffs. even if we get swept, proud of these goons.

this team isn't a one hit wonder. playoffs or bust for the next 8 years. 

Look how long it took the insanely talented Leafs core to even sniff the 2nd round. If the Devils can’t figure out CAR you just have to tip your cap to Brind'Amour and his team. There’s a reason they finished 2nd overall in the league, and made us feel like they literally never lost at times during the season. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Look how long it took the insanely talented Leafs core to even sniff the 2nd round. If the Devils can’t figure out CAR you just have to tip your cap to Brind'Amour and his team. There’s a reason they finished 2nd overall in the league, and made us feel like they literally never lost at times during the season. 

Yeah after taking out the Rangers, it really felt like the Devils were playing with house money from that point on.  Of course we’d all love to see them continue to make a run, but this team may simply has gone as far as it’s capable of this year.  A 49-point improvement, playoff appearance and even a series win against the team we all hate the most.  Still a raging success, even if this round ends with a brutal thud.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah after taking out the Rangers, it really felt like the Devils were playing with house money from that point on.  Of course we’d all love to see them continue to make a run, but this team may simply has gone as far as it’s capable of this year.  A 49-point improvement, playoff appearance and even a series win against the team we all hate the most.  Still a raging success, even if this round ends with a brutal thud.

Pretty much this. I just want to see them makes things competitive these next 2 games. No blowout losses please. 

As for moving forward, would love to see them add some size, skill, and meanness in the draft. A Russian goalie in the mid-rounds would be great too. As for Carolina, they've had our number for years. Hopefully that will change in the future. 🤔

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lateralous said:

This isn’t a comment I make in the heat of the moment because I’ve been saying I didn’t think we should break the bank on Bratt for a while but IMO he’s played his way out of any type of long term contract commitment that isn’t significantly lower than anything we’ve heard mentioned.  I’ve been underwhelmed by his game since the intensity of games picked up after the new year but he looks like a little boy out there in these playoffs.    This isn’t being snakebitten, this is just being worthless.  I would rather see Fitz keep cap flexibility so we can have depth than pay any type of market value on Bratt.   Like Severson, I think he’s best off getting PAID elsewhere 

Starting to think Bratt might wanna to switch to baseball.  In that sport it’s a whole lot better to be Mr. October.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

This game is on Lindy. Sorry. You cant step onto the ice in Game 2 having been shellacked in game 1 and draw a clunker.

I get the whole "emotional high from the Rangers series and the carry-over effect" but c'mon, you have to at least skate with the opponent and make things harder for them.

This team just wasn't prepared and that falls on the coaching staff. 

Carolina vs. Florida should be an interesting series to watch.

I’m not sure I agree.  I told my wife before the playoffs started that the young core guys would probably hit a wall never having played hockey this much—especially with this much intensity.  They look worn and slower than they normally play.  Perhaps that’s Brind’amour’s coaching shutting us down, but I see guys winded.  After all, this is why rookies and younger players hit walls all the time.  You come into the league playing, what?  35-50 games a year?  Now you’re playing 82.  Then you make the playoffs and they’ve played 9 games so far.  Even if we lose this series in a sweep the guys will have played almost 15% extra of a season this year.  Nico, Jack, Bratt, etc. have never done this.  I would love to see a study of this, if one exists, but I suspect that most players wear out in their first playoffs because they’ve never been pushed this hard before.   Time, conditioning, and experience should remedy much of this.

And one more thing: move Bratt for another Timo.  I agree with all of you saying Bratt is done here.  He only seems to shine when there is no pressure.  Great for a losing team to get some scoring, but if you’re trying to win a Stanley cup that won’t do.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, smelly said:

I think Bahl has sucked these two games. 

And Lazar is JAG IMO. Much greater upside with Yeogor (shot and PK) and Jesper (all around game). 

I see no option but to go back to Smid. 

But goalie is still a huge hole in this organization. 

Fitz took it from below-NHL quality to solid this year. 

This summer he needs to find a way to make it even a little above average. 

The window is opening, but won’t last forever. Can’t waste any years with mediocre goalie play. 

In re to the bolded: true, but he has at least scored.  We aren’t going to win a SC based on Lazar’s play, but I haven’t seen any reason to bench him when he has actually produced something.

2 hours ago, AEWHistory said:

In re to the bolded: true, but he has at least scored.  We aren’t going to win a SC based on Lazar’s play, but I haven’t seen any reason to bench him when he has actually produced something.

Cordell today:

”Lazar is a zero offensively. He doesn’t carry the puck, he doesn’t create shots for teammates, and he doesn’t create his own. The only offense you’ll ever get from him is banging in a rebound once every 10+ games. That’s it. I don’t know how you can trot him out on the 3rd line in a playoff series while Jesper Boqvist (10+ goals B2B years) and Yegor Sharangovich (a year removed from 24 snipes) sit in the press box. I honestly don’t.”

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Although I’ll definitely feel a bit of disappointment which is natural in this situation, I’ve pretty much been saying this all along. The fact that they came in and finished off New York from behind man we as fans haven’t been able to enjoy anything that has felt that good in 11 years. If they get bounced this round, I’m still excited for next season 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Sucks ufc is at prudential tonight, they go super late and the game is early tomorrow so the ice is gonna be sh!t. 

I was really questioning the ice last game because it seemed like there was so many pucks hopping over sticks and turnovers which is not really like us, but Carolina didn't really seem to have the same problem so it must have just been us. 

• Like 1