GDT: Devils @ Hurricanes - Game 2 8:00PM 5/5 TNT

Nicomo

16 minutes ago, smelly said:

Don’t disagree in theory, but IMO all that will result in is Bahl’s being way out of position. He’s not a heavy hitter anyway. Carolina has gotten their hits when they are there, but they have presented a master class in maintaining defensive structure 

Again, Brindamour has this team consistently playing at another level. I love to see the Devils get to that level someday. Would be really fun to watch 

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’d rather give Severson a hometown discount if he’d take it over paying Bratt more than what we think he’s worth.

Severson has at least stepped up in the post season. Last time I remember that I saw Bratt was pouring milk into my cereal.

Also Graves can crawl his way to free agency since that’s the equivalent of his skating speed right now

Graves is a training camp away from being bumped to an 7D.  I like him and he’s been playing well but Severson is nothing more than a luxury at this point.  Both are gone and if Fitz is as shrewd as I think he is, he won’t get tied down to Bratt on any type of high dollar long term extension either.  

I think the best way to say it is that Bratt has probably played his way out of the “core” this spring 

• Like 1

This game is on Lindy. Sorry. You cant step onto the ice in Game 2 having been shellacked in game 1 and draw a clunker.

I get the whole "emotional high from the Rangers series and the carry-over effect" but c'mon, you have to at least skate with the opponent and make things harder for them.

This team just wasn't prepared and that falls on the coaching staff. 

Carolina vs. Florida should be an interesting series to watch.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Graves is a training camp away from being bumped to an 7D.  I like him and he’s been playing well but Severson is nothing more than a luxury at this point.  Both are gone and if Fitz is as shrewd as I think he is, he won’t get tied down to Bratt on any type of high dollar long term extension either.  

I think the best way to say it is that Bratt has probably played his way out of the “core” this spring 

Anyone playing with Marino can probably be a strong player. He's made like 10 mistakes all year, incredible player and trade made by Fitz. Graves had done well enough in the regular season but he's starting to show the cracks in the playoffs. I mentioned before but COL fans basically said that would happen. The only thing I am worried about with Severson is that NJ needs another Dman with size, Graves already doesn't use his size, and Luke doesn't really have that frame or style of play.

I am with you on not giving Bratt 8+ million and he and his agent(and hopefully Fitz) have to realize that isn't happening now. He should have signed the deal that was on the table when he had a chance. I am wondering how much he held out for now....Fitz claimed it was more than fair.

38 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

This game is on Lindy. Sorry. You cant step onto the ice in Game 2 having been shellacked in game 1 and draw a clunker.

I get the whole "emotional high from the Rangers series and the carry-over effect" but c'mon, you have to at least skate with the opponent and make things harder for them.

Can't blame everything on the coach when they've been completely outworked and the fourth line is the only one that looks like it isn't hung over from the Ranger series.  Coach can't score for Nico, Timo, Dougie and Bratt either...at some point our 'stars' need to get going, you can't rely on the fourth line to score every game.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If this was more the middle or near the end of the window and the Devils had gone all in re:  giving up a lot of future assets, I’d be a lot more pissed about this series so far.  Like I said in a previous post, just glad that this wasn’t the “We’re ready and we’re going for it all RIGHT NOW!” year.  The Rangers were much closer to that than the Devils are.

If one thing frustrates me (besides the fact there've been too many no-show games in the postseason, despite the great comeback against the Rangers) it's the fact that we never beat this fvcking team, and if we're not gonna beat them this year when they have three top forwards out then it'll only get harder going forward.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LIDevsFan1 said:

biggest immediate question is do you go VV next game ?  (not blaming Schmid). he was in net for the 3-nil reg season win correct ?  i was out of country at that time. 

It's not Schmid's fault, again, but yea I would go with VV. All these blowout losses haven't been on the Gs.

• Like 2

VV looks like he's lost in the playoffs, he hasn't done anywhere near enough in his appearances to earn another start.  Problem is the clock looks like it's striking midnight on Schmid too.  You can't go with the dreaded mystery box option #3 to start since it hasn't been opened in weeks, though I sort of expect Blackwood to be the backup to Schmid in Game #3 at this point since VV's just been that awful and they've been keeping the door open reminding everyone they 'have three options' in goal. 

If VV were a baseball pitcher, he'd be phantom DL'ed by now.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If one thing frustrates me (besides the fact there've been too many no-show games in the postseason, despite the great comeback against the Rangers) it's the fact that we never beat this fvcking team, and if we're not gonna beat them this year when they have three top forwards out then it'll only get harder going forward.

This is my frustration also. Everytime we face this team in the postseason we not only lose, we get embarrassed. Like...when the hell is the tide going to turn? And with Brindamour coaching them, they look unstoppable. At least against us.  

Team just looks absolutely spent. Everyone looks like they have heavy legs.

They had no answers in this at all. The Canes are just as quick as the Devil's and they are just winning all the battles. 

Again, time for Lindy to be brave like he was with Schmid and use some fresh legs and get Luke on the Ice. 

Coming back home and having the last change might mean that we are able to get more matchups we want and get Jack some space. 

The series isn't over yet. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

VV looks like he's lost in the playoffs, he hasn't done anywhere near enough in his appearances to earn another start.  Problem is the clock looks like it's striking midnight on Schmid too.  You can't go with the dreaded mystery box option #3 to start since it hasn't been opened in weeks, though I sort of expect Blackwood to be the backup to Schmid in Game #3 at this point since VV's just been that awful and they've been keeping the door open reminding everyone they 'have three options' in goal. 

If VV were a baseball pitcher, he'd be phantom DL'ed by now.

In one post you comment on how the entire team hasn’t shown up at all this series, the other the onus somehow is falling entirely onto the goalies and we’re talking about phantom DLing…

You coulda had Marty or Roy back there these last two games and they still would have lost getting a whole 1 goal of support.

the only goal Schmid looked awful on was the scrambling one where the team in front of him gave up on the play and let him get toyed with.

as for VV, he gave up 1 in his relief appearance in game 1 and 2 last night. With a team giving him little to no help.

How you can throw both goalies under the bus when the team in front of them literally hasn’t don’t shut but plays scared pathetic hockey is beyond me.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, smelly said:

But goalie is still a huge hole in this organization. 

Fitz took it from below-NHL quality to solid this year. 

This summer he needs to find a way to make it even a little above average. 

No it’s not. Do you think Andersen is some bonafide #1 or something? He’s average at best. For the first time in a long time goaltending is not a glaring problem for this team. I think the vast majority of Devils fans will be quite comfortable going into next season with a tandem of Vanecek and Schmid. And then you have Daws and Brennan developing in the minors. They should absolutely keep stocking the pipeline with mid-late round goalie prospects (especially Russians), but “huge hole?” Absolutely not.

They were a hell of a lot more than “solid” this season. They were 3rd overall in the league, set the franchise record for wins, and won a round in the playoffs against a team almost nobody predicted they’d beat. 

Again, 3rd overall is literally already way better than “a little above average.” 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

To that I’d say that the 2022-23 Devils aren’t the final product.  Luke and Nemec are coming, and if this series ends badly, I’m sure that Fitz will explore tweaking the roster…considering that there’s quite a few players not signed here long-term, there’s going to be changes anyway.

I don’t really consider these losses “no shows”, in spite of how lopsided they’ve been…especially in Carolina’s case.  That team is simply outplaying the Devils by a significant margin, and Ruff & Co need to find some kind of way to close the gap.  At this point I do think it’s time to give Luke a go.  And of course, the usual suspects have to score goals at SOME point.

I agree that even though 2009 was a really a LOOOOOOONG time ago, that series and the other series losses to the Canes somehow still feel fresh enough that losing to them NOW isn’t any less aggravating.  I want to be excited about going to Games 3 and 4 but goddamn if those games wind up being similar to THESE games…

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To that I’d say that the 2022-23 Devils aren’t the final product.  Luke and Nemec are coming, and if this series ends badly, I’m sure that Fitz will explore tweaking the roster…considering that there’s quite a few players not signed here long-term, there’s going to be changes anyway.

I don’t really consider these losses “no shows”, in spite of how lopsided they’ve been…especially in Carolina’s case.  That team is simply outplaying the Devils by a significant margin, and Ruff & Co need to find some kind of way to close the gap.  At this point I do think it’s time to give Luke a go.  And of course, the usual suspects have to score goals at SOME point.

I agree that even though 2009 was a really a LOOOOOOONG time ago, that series and the other series losses to the Canes somehow still feel fresh enough that losing to them NOW isn’t any less aggravating.  I want to be excited about going to Games 3 and 4 but goddamn if those games wind up being similar to THESE games…

I just want to see the effort. If they lose 3-2 or 4-3, clearly the effort will be there.

I want to see them playing THEIR game again and stop trying this out of the blue “we need to be physical and send a message” we played game 1 cause they were tired. Last night they started fine and it felt like “okay they’re in this!” And then boom, two failed PPs (which generated some momentum) a pair of PKs and boom, mentally out of the game. They played the first half of the second as woe is me, and never broke out of it. They looked like a disinterested team the second half of the game.

we need our leaders to lead them out of it. Our scorers HAVE to start clicking. Get the dirty, ugly as sh!t goal to get the momentum building. And for the love of all of the hockey gods, will Brewnet (spelled that way, specifically. It’s early, I’m about to run a race and I’m on the violence train) finally adjust the fvcking PP zone entry and stop with the same dead look he’s been force feeding them for 18 failures in a row?

if we do those three things we might be able to claw back into the series.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I just want to see the effort. If they lose 3-2 or 4-3, clearly the effort will be there.

I want to see them playing THEIR game again and stop trying this out of the blue “we need to be physical and send a message” we played game 1 cause they were tired. Last night they started fine and it felt like “okay they’re in this!” And then boom, two failed PPs (which generated some momentum) a pair of PKs and boom, mentally out of the game. They played the first half of the second as woe is me, and never broke out of it. They looked like a disinterested team the second half of the game.

we need our leaders to lead them out of it. Our scorers HAVE to start clicking. Get the dirty, ugly as sh!t goal to get the momentum building. And for the love of all of the hockey gods, will Brewnet (spelled that way, specifically. It’s early, I’m about to run a race and I’m on the violence train) finally adjust the fvcking PP zone entry and stop with the same dead look he’s been force feeding them for 18 failures in a row?

if we do those three things we might be able to claw back into the series.

Two things:

I don’t think it’s lack of effort, as much as lack of results and growing frustration at those lack of results.  The Devils aren’t used to be being so easily snuffed out.  Carolina‘s game plan is working to a friggin’ T right now.

Second thing:  Brewnet is brilliant and that’s how I will refer to him from now on.  Especially with his power plays being way too ineffective at the moment.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I don’t think this one is on Lindy, not 100% of it anyway. 

Yeah it’s a bit of everything for sure.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

so if wood had scored a goal late in a 2-2 game he’d be a genius for sitting him a few games right ?  Just make sure you’re consistent.