GDT: Carolina @ Devils- Game 3 Eastern Conference Semi-Finals 3:30 PM TBS

MadDog2020

59 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

Had to dvr. Just finished watching. What a wild game. Congrats Devils!!!

A few thoughts:

1. Luke was missed in games 1 and 2 and I absolutely love his game even despite a bad turnover on PP.

2. I like the 7D roster. Canes forecheck is hard to handle. 

3. Canes got beaten bad, but this team can always find another gear. They never lost composure, so don't be fooled by the score. Game 4 will be much tougher. 3 SHG must never happen again.

4. VV makes me nervous

5. McLeod is amazing

Let's go Devils!!!!!!!

If I heard it correctly, it's happened three times in NHL playoffs that a team gave up three short-handed goals, and all three times that team won. Crazy stat

• Like 2

VV literally shouldve stopped the last 3 of the 4 goals, I mean he shouldve atleast tried, this will definitely give the Canes some life for the next game. Devils cant breathe this series, its intense. Canes are also a resilient team.

Canes goalies are no supermen, they are beatable. We are now in their heads as well.

Edited by Anhkheg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mikepeluso8 said:

Lindy's been EXCELLENT.  I trust the moves he makes and why and when he makes them.

Eh, he’s not infallible. They won this one despite him starting Vanecek, not because of it. Not going with Akira in game 4 would be a mistake, imo. The difference in their play has been night and day all throughout these playoffs. 

Schmid - 2.30 GAA, .921 SV%, (2 shutouts) 

Vanecek - 4.02 GAA, .845 SV%

It’s clear as day Vanecek is fighting it a bit right now. He’s not tracking the puck well, he’s often out of position which makes him have to flail around to make saves, he’s coughing up rebounds left and right, and just overall doesn’t look comfortable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

8 Goals is amazing but we’ve got to find a way to keep them below 4 goals 

I'm expecting a very close game 4 with a possible OT. 

Still believe we'll tie the series, but the canes are beasts at home. 

2 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

VV literally shouldve stopped the last 3 of the 4 goals, I mean he shouldve atleast tried, this will definitely give the Canes some life for the next game. Devils cant breathe this series, its intense. Canes are also a resilient team.

Canes goalies are no supermen, they are beatable. We are now in their heads as well.

Not sure we are in their heads, but they got a really cold shower after 2 lopsided wins in Raleigh. It's up to Devils to make the shower colder.

Not an easy task, but no team is unbeatable. Florida just sent Boston to the golf course.

Go Devils. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anhkheg said:

Goal tending has become our biggest pain point. Really hope Schmid can get back into form and restore confidence in the team.

I don’t think Akira was bad at all.  I think the team in front of him was awful.  I still think Akira should be in net.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Vitek doesn’t seem to be tracking the puck very well. 

Yep. Agreed. He looks like a HS goalie thrown in net. He isn't standing tall and aggressively attacking the shooter. 

They hit three posts this game, and so it could be a whole different story if our offense wasn't up to speed.

We have to be the more determined team from the start, and have a goaltender that gets their shooters doubting a bit when they tilt the ice at times. 

Unfortunately, Vanecek is just not inspiring much confidence and showing BIG in net.  That's the first problem.

Winning 4 of 5 games two series in a row is a VERY DAUNTING task. I won't say it can't be done because we have done it before, but we would have to be perfect at home and steal one in their barn. 

It's gonna take puck luck, a good goaltender, and possibly a mental collapse on Carolina's behalf to pull it off. 

I just don't see the 'Canes imploding like that. Hope I'm wrong, but in all my years of watching hockey, it is a very very very improbable scenario. 

37 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

We have to be the more determined team from the start, and have a goaltender that gets their shooters doubting a bit when they tilt the ice at times. 

Unfortunately, Vanecek is just not inspiring much confidence and showing BIG in net.  That's the first problem.

Winning 4 of 5 games two series in a row is a VERY DAUNTING task. I won't say it can't be done because we have done it before, but we would have to be perfect at home and steal one in their barn. 

It's gonna take puck luck, a good goaltender, and possibly a mental collapse on Carolina's behalf to pull it off. 

I just don't see the 'Canes imploding like that. Hope I'm wrong, but in all my years of watching hockey, it is a very very very improbable scenario. 

I mean they just did that last year to the Rangers from 2-0 up at home, and they barely avoided Game 7 against the Isles after going up 2-0 this year.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean they just did that last year to the Rangers

If teams can really get shots through to their goaltenders the cracks will show. The Rags had Raanta so shell-shocked he couldn't stop a beach ball and CAR goal scoring completely dried up with sh!tstork on the other end.

What a day!

I got a text in the morning from my friend who said he was sick and couldn't use his ticket. So I got to watch this amazing game from Section 2.

A little tense in the first until the Meier goal opened the floodgates. Great to see Timo and Nico finally score. Jack had a superstar level game. Loved the two bros assisting on the Severson goal. We will be seeing a lot more of that. And I'm sure Aho did not expect to be laid down flat on his back by a Lady Byng finalist.

This was a day I'll never forget. Now we have hope for this series. LGD

• Like 4
  • EvilHeart 1

What a great day!   The weather, the ass kicking we put on the canes, listening to the Leafs lose again on way home.  Can't ask for much more. 

Some random thoughts: 

I'm with everyone who said we need to go back to Akira next game.   I think it was the right move for Lindy to give VV the net today because you can't just abandon the guy after what he did for us in the regular season but man, I just have no confidence in him to stop the puck right now.   Even in no pressure mop up duty on Friday he looked shaky.  

Even with the terrible turnover, I would hope Luke is in the lineup for good.   Not sure we can sustain an 11F lineup for multiple games so Bahl, Graves and Smith can fight it out for the 6th spot

Speaking of Bahl, he might need a night off to watch from the press box.   I'm pleased with his development overall but he's looked a bit worn down this series.   They Canes blew right around him in the first 10 seconds he was on the ice yesterday.   

I think we all realize that we just can't afford Damon Severson going forward.  As much as we're excited about Hughes and Nemec, this version of Severson will be missed.   He's really turned it up these last few months.   I hope he gets a big fat contract this summer (somewhere else) and gets back into a top 4 role.   

Going into yesterday's game, I had kind of come to grips with the fact that this series might be the end of the road on a wonderful season and now these guys just suck me right back into believing anything is possible.   I expect we'll finally see a close game tomorrow night.  The winner will probably be the team that ultimately advances.   LGD!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

What a great day!   The weather, the ass kicking we put on the canes, listening to the Leafs lose again on way home.  Can't ask for much more. 

Some random thoughts: 

I'm with everyone who said we need to go back to Akira next game.   I think it was the right move for Lindy to give VV the net today because you can't just abandon the guy after what he did for us in the regular season but man, I just have no confidence in him to stop the puck right now.   Even in no pressure mop up duty on Friday he looked shaky.  

Even with the terrible turnover, I would hope Luke is in the lineup for good.   Not sure we can sustain an 11F lineup for multiple games so Bahl, Graves and Smith can fight it out for the 6th spot

Speaking of Bahl, he might need a night off to watch from the press box.   I'm pleased with his development overall but he's looked a bit worn down this series.   They Canes blew right around him in the first 10 seconds he was on the ice yesterday.   

I think we all realize that we just can't afford Damon Severson going forward.  As much as we're excited about Hughes and Nemec, this version of Severson will be missed.   He's really turned it up these last few months.   I hope he gets a big fat contract this summer (somewhere else) and gets back into a top 4 role.   

Going into yesterday's game, I had kind of come to grips with the fact that this series might be the end of the road on a wonderful season and now these guys just suck me right back into believing anything is possible.   I expect we'll finally see a close game tomorrow night.  The winner will probably be the team that ultimately advances.   LGD!

VV looked SO solid for so many regular season stretches...not sure what exactly is going on with him.  But yeah I would give Schmid another look in Game 4.

Agree 100%, we're almost guaranteed to get some WTF moments with Luke simply due to his having so little NHL experience, but the sad fact is that though I've been one to defend Graves in the past, he just has not played well at ALL.  I can't possibly make a case for Graves over Luke in the lineup after Game 3.  I keep dressing Luke until he gives me a reason not to.

I'll give Bahl another game, but yeah, if it's more of the same, maybe one game off to rest up/recharge.

Damon's been better for sure as of late (though he had some moments yesterday that were dangerously close to same ol' Seves territory), but yeah, he's going to get a nice UFA overpayment somewhere, and the Devils shouldn't be the team to pay it when they've got Luke and Nemec (and Casey too).  Very curious to see who pays up...and how much.

Re:  a close game, some wacky numbers:

Devils' last three home games:  3-0, 16 GF, 4 GA (two shutouts)

Devils' last three road games:  0-3, 5 GF, 16 GA

All but one of those games has been decided by 4+ goals.  Yeah kinda feels like we're due for an actual nailbiter!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I have to say, I think the Devils are super fortunate to be able to bounce back and forth between VV and Akira and let them rest up in between.  I feel like it's only a matter of time before Vitek bounces back and the fact that Ruff doesn't really have to grind through the slump, instead he can pivot to Akira, is such a strength to have.  I do think Akira is the future.

• Like 1