GDT: Carolina @ Devils- Game 3 Eastern Conference Semi-Finals 3:30 PM TBS

MadDog2020

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

AFAIC the Devils were already playing with house money after beating the Rangers...but damn if they somehow ever managed to make it to the ECF...even though the 2022-23 Devils obviously had a terrific regular season and the 1987-88 Devils had to get in by the skin of their teeth, this season would start to feel like that one, in terms of just pure "Holy SH!T can you believe THIS?" ecstasy.  Especially since in this postseason, the first two series would've started off SO rough.  If the Devils can actually tie this thing up tomorrow...just...wow.  

• EvilHeart 1

30 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Anyone think maybe the Devils go back to Schmid on Tuesday? I'm not sure what to think at this point but I trust Schmid more despite what happened in games 1 and 2. Should be interesting.

I would.  I think we owed it to VV to give him a chance to get back in the net and take his job back but nothing I saw from the last 4 periods of hockey suggests he's currently up to the task.  I would ride Schmid the rest of the way in this series.    

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, devlman said:

Every move, every adjustment these playoffs…Lindy is a low key mastermind.

I have an honest query here.  People have complained all season that Ruff wasn’t making adjustments.  I think these critiques are valid, given what people saw.  My question is: was this intentional?  After the first couple weeks of the season the Devils were pretty much safe to make the playoffs.  So why not minimize the options shown to other teams and save that for the playoffs?  

Maybe I’m overthinking this, but it just seems so interesting that Ruff was basically rigid in the regular season but in the playoffs he has been willing to make what have mostly been the right adjustments when the team underperformed.  This would, in theory, give the Devils some advantages during the playoffs since there wouldn’t be as much tape to study on how he makes changes, right?  This is done in the NFL all of the time, but I’m not sure if hockey strategists work the same way so I’d be interested in what you folks think.

3 hours ago, AEWHistory said:

I have an honest query here.  People have complained all season that Ruff wasn’t making adjustments.  I think these critiques are valid, given what people saw.  My question is: was this intentional?  After the first couple weeks of the season the Devils were pretty much safe to make the playoffs.  So why not minimize the options shown to other teams and save that for the playoffs?  

Maybe I’m overthinking this, but it just seems so interesting that Ruff was basically rigid in the regular season but in the playoffs he has been willing to make what have mostly been the right adjustments when the team underperformed.  This would, in theory, give the Devils some advantages during the playoffs since there wouldn’t be as much tape to study on how he makes changes, right?  This is done in the NFL all of the time, but I’m not sure if hockey strategists work the same way so I’d be interested in what you folks think.

I think there’s simply more time in the regular season to let your young kids bounce back on their own. And sometimes you have to let them figure it out on their own. In the playoffs, there’s no time for sitting on your rear end and with playing the same team you know what adjustments have to be made.

1 hour ago, devlman said:

I think there’s simply more time in the regular season to let your young kids bounce back on their own. And sometimes you have to let them figure it out on their own. In the playoffs, there’s no time for sitting on your rear end and with playing the same team you know what adjustments have to be made.

I think there's been times where both Fitz and Lindy have taken a "At some point YOU who PLAY have to figure some of this stuff out" approach, for better AND for worse.

I can't say that Ruff will definitely be the guy who takes them all the way, but here's what they do well under him: 

They play as hard as is humanly possible almost every game...fans often assume that a lopsided loss means that their team "didn't show up", but even in bad losses, I've rarely felt like the Devils weren't trying.

They find ways to shake off bad games.  After getting waxed the way that the Devils did in Games 1 and 2 of each of these playoff series, not all teams would be able to find another gear.  It's still early in this series, but that Game 3 win was impressive for sure.

And if the Devils suddenly do to the Canes what they did to the Rangers...then Ruff's a better coach than I thought he was.  That being said, obviously going down 2-0 and looking really bad in both games isn't a blueprint for sustained playoff success.  If the Devils manage to get past this series, it would be nice to see them at least not look so overwhelmed to start the next one.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DevilMinder said:

Well, heres hoping he has a good game and doesn't spot them two quick goals. The Devils aren't going to score 8 goals every game to cover poor tending.

He's my pick to have a monster game. He's due. He's gotta make it happen or otherwise be deemed as a playoff no-show. 

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The options for Graves spot are L.Hughes or Bahl and I think L. Hughes is the type of player that doesn't come out of the lineup again unless we really get stumped again. I have a suspicion that is why we haven't seen L. Hughes much yet. Lindy was intentionally saving him because he kind of knew that L. Hughes would be hard to sit in the press box again meaning that he would have to be horrendously different/bad. 

Marino is 3rd pairing, but he's been consistently getting the 2nd or 3rd most ice time very game so far. 

I envision A LOT of L. Hughes - Marino together at some point. They will be a truly insane pair to throw out there after the glorious Ham & Swiss. I think they will support each other well and Marino will be able to keep up with Hughes and minimize his mistakes or help him fix up any glaring holes in his game. 

Edited by RizzMB30