GDT: Carolina @ Devils- Game 4 Eastern Conference Semi-Finals 7:00 PM ESPN

MadDog2020

Hit early and often...  it opens things up with players out of position, and then we can use our speed to score.

Just now, aylbert said:

Hit early and often...  it opens things up with players out of position, and then we can use our speed to score.

and shoot the :devil:'ing puck!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Sidebar - can I just say what a relief it is to see that most of our star kids (Jack, Nico, Luke, Meier, Bratt(sometimes), Mercer) are big-game players that don't shy away in high pressure situations?  Jack and Nico especially CLEARLY want to win, they hate losing, etc.  We're building around guys that will give it their all every time.  We could become the Bruins here, folks.

Watching the Leafs absolutely choke away their series against the Leafs with their "big 4" contributing next to nothing... Mathews, Marner especially looking like ghosts.  Just makes me feel lucky that our core thus far has shown a ton of fight.  There will of course be clunker series (Canes could win the next 2 here) but I have faith this core will make deep runs over the next decade.

Also shoutout to Fitz for not crippling the team with bad contracts.  See: Mathews, Marner again.  The fact that Nico and Jack are locked up for the foreseeable future at a combined ~15M is INSANE.  Compare that to Mathews/Marner at $22.5M!  That delta is an entirely additional player, or some really, really good depth pieces.

I don't think there is another team in the NHL set up better for success over the next several years than the Devils, so that part is really exciting.   The one minor point I would squabble with is Jesper Bratt.  Using your Leafs comparison, he's basically the pour mans Mitch Marner IMO.  He's seems to want to hold out for every dollar he can possibly get and then goes missing in the playoffs.  That's why I think it's critical that Fitz doesn't do any type of high dollar/max term extension with him.   If he does, I think he's the one that could become a boat anchor on the cap in short order.   

As for the Leafs, they are endlessly fascinating to me.  I think the "core" takes too much heat and am constantly amazed that the GM keeps his job.   They were set up perfectly when Dubas got there.  They had a young and diverse group of talent in Reilly, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, Hyman, Connor Brown, etc.   Realistically, every single player on that list has probably reached his max potential in the NHL and yet they still kind of suck.  To me it all goes back to signing Tavares, who was a luxury and not a need.  He got top dollar and then the 3 young forwards followed suit with their hands out at the end of the ELCs trying to get their slice of the pie. The next thing you know, the Leafs were built like the hallowed out post championship Blackhawks or Lightning where the stars are eating up all the cap space and the secondary players like Palat, Coleman, Goodrow, Byfuglien, Bickell, Hjalmersson etc. etc that were all critical to their championship runs have moved on because there wasn't space.    They never really gave themselves a chance to win because they were almost immediately built around 4 guys taking all the cap.    Sure, the stars still should have been able to win a few rounds here and there but for the life of me, I don't get why Dubas is held in high regard. 

Oh well, not our problem and it just highlights what a wonderful job Fitzgerald has done so far.   

On a side note, I'm getting more and more uneasy about VV getting the start tonight as the day goes on.  Hopefully he's able to step it up.      

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I know Lindy has been pushing most of the right buttons, but goddamnit Graves is slower than molasses right now. He shouldn’t slow down the defense when speed helped win the game

Smith was better last game than Graves has been in the first two so I'd rather just roll out what we did last game. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

If you have the money and live here there's no excuse not to be at the game tomorrow, find the time to make it out to the arena(unless you're actually working and can't get anyone to cover you or get the night off), the atmosphere was absolutely incredible last game and they need our support again. 

LETS GO DEVILS!!! 

I’ll remind the Bruins fans around my neighborhood what it’s like to be in the playoffs!  They haven’t looked my way since they were knocked out by the Panthers.

• Like 2

Being that I wore my 2016-17 GW Hall jersey when the Devils won on Sunday, of course I'll have to wear it again...*

* @Satans Hockey yes I am fully aware that whatever jersey that I wear to games will have NO impact on the outcome whatsoever.

BUT, should the Devils dare to lose tonight, then I will immediately rip that cursed Hall jersey off the second I exit the arena, douse it with gasoline, burn it to a crisp, and then take the ashes over to MSG and rub them over as much of that sh!tty overrated cesspool of an arena as I possibly can.  'Cause superstitions and all ;) 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I don't think there is another team in the NHL set up better for success over the next several years than the Devils, so that part is really exciting.   The one minor point I would squabble with is Jesper Bratt.  Using your Leafs comparison, he's basically the pour mans Mitch Marner IMO.  He's seems to want to hold out for every dollar he can possibly get and then goes missing in the playoffs.  That's why I think it's critical that Fitz doesn't do any type of high dollar/max term extension with him.   If he does, I think he's the one that could become a boat anchor on the cap in short order.   

As for the Leafs, they are endlessly fascinating to me.  I think the "core" takes too much heat and am constantly amazed that the GM keeps his job.   They were set up perfectly when Dubas got there.  They had a young and diverse group of talent in Reilly, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, Hyman, Connor Brown, etc.   Realistically, every single player on that list has probably reached his max potential in the NHL and yet they still kind of suck.  To me it all goes back to signing Tavares, who was a luxury and not a need.  He got top dollar and then the 3 young forwards followed suit with their hands out at the end of the ELCs trying to get their slice of the pie. The next thing you know, the Leafs were built like the hallowed out post championship Blackhawks or Lightning where the stars are eating up all the cap space and the secondary players like Palat, Coleman, Goodrow, Byfuglien, Bickell, Hjalmersson etc. etc that were all critical to their championship runs have moved on because there wasn't space.    They never really gave themselves a chance to win because they were almost immediately built around 4 guys taking all the cap.    Sure, the stars still should have been able to win a few rounds here and there but for the life of me, I don't get why Dubas is held in high regard. 

Oh well, not our problem and it just highlights what a wonderful job Fitzgerald has done so far.   

On a side note, I'm getting more and more uneasy about VV getting the start tonight as the day goes on.  Hopefully he's able to step it up.      

Re:  the bolded, I agree, but given who's still likely to be paid before too much longer, there's going to be a piece or two dealt off that we'll be sorry to see go due to cap issues.  Of course in such a deal you're taking back "later" pieces...and as long as you're able to cash those in for cheap young talent down the line, you CAN make the most out of those kinds of deals.  Those teams are the ones that find a way to keep remaining relevant as the initial core approches their late 20s/early 30s.

I'm not going to panic about any of this today, but the "very difficult decisions" days are coming sooner than we think.  Will be VERY nice if Brennan can come up on a ELC right when the Devils are ready to let VV leave via UFA (or deal him earlier if possible for assets).  That's not to disparage VV, but if you've got a young kid who can outperform his ELC and even give you production similar to the guy who's both older AND more expensive, kind of a no-brainer.  It's been discussed a bunch but for every 2-3 guys who are deemed essential to the cause who are going to get theirs, the Devils are going to need some revolving doors to keep other cap slots down.  

• Like 2

Games 1 and 2 I watched, they get their asses handed to them.

I can't watch game 3, they win.

I can watch tonight and, for the love of God, the Devils need to let me watch a victory. 

I am starting to feel like a jinx.

The Devils record these playoffs when I can sit down and watch, 1-5, with the only win being game 7. Ouch.

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Randy McKay on the pre show. Hopefully he brings us some playoff luck tonight. Loved that guy 

Big-time overachiever.  Love McKay.

• EvilHeart 3