GDT: Game 5 - Do or Die - 11 May @ 1900

jagknife

I said during the Rangers series that if we could just win that one, I would take whatever comes after that.   I never imagined it would be three more ass kickings in the next 4 games.   I thought we were done with that.   

That being said, this team never ceases to amaze me so I hope they have another big rally in them but if not, please just don’t go out in another blow out.    

• Like 5

L G M F D!!!

No matter what happens, thank you Devils for a terrific and memorable season.  Looking forward to seeing what you can do and how you grow in the seasons to come.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
  • EvilHeart 2

18 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Please at least give them a chance Lindy (meaning no Vanecek). 

After watching the post game where Lindy said the loss was not due to goaltending and he saw no need to pull VV even at 3 goals, if he starts VV in Game 5 it will be over by the first period. 

Edited by slasher72
  • Angry 1

19 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

After watching the post game where Lindy said the loss was not due to goaltending and he saw no need to pull VV even at 3 goals, if he starts VV in Game 5 it will be over by the first period. 

Guy has a 4.64 GAA & .825 SV% through 2 rounds. Obviously there has been other issues, and 1 goal wasn’t going to win the game regardless, but it’s absurd to let him off the hook for his performance. If he starts Vanecek in game 5 I think I’m officially done with Ruff. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Guy has a 4.64 GAA & .825 SV% through 2 rounds. Obviously there has been other issues, and 1 goal wasn’t going to win the game regardless, but it’s absurd to let him off the hook for his performance. If he starts Vanecek in game 5 I think I’m officially done with Ruff. 

Vanecek looks completely broken in the post game. I can't see how Ruff can put him in, but maybe he gives him a chance to try to redeem himself, which would be foolish obviously. But to think he hung with him that long and only pulled him once it got to 5-1 makes me question Ruff's judgement. And then says goaltending had nothing to do with the loss lol. Sure, the east-west play of the D was sh!t, but so has been the goaltending when VV has been in net. I dunno. I expect the Devils to get their asses kicked on Thursday. I'd love to be wrong. 

I didn't really feel like posting in the previous thread. I can't even find a proper term to describe what happened in those 20 minutes of the game that had no sign of another blowout loss. I don't want to dissect it either...VV, inexperience, food poisoning, alien invasion...

If game 5 in Raleigh is their last game of the season, please, Devils, make the canes earn every second of it. No more humiliation please. Hoping to see at least one more game at the Rock. 

LET'S GO DEVILS!!!!!!!

All part of the plan.

Let them get comfortable 3-1 up and then win the next three to absolutely crush them. 

I look forward to the game 7 overtime winner from Dougie Hamilton to take us through to the next round. 

• Like 2

In the post game Ruff said, 
"If you look at how we played and what we gave up, I don't think we should point the finger at the goaltender."

5 goals on 15 shots. Lol. Anyway, Ruff pulled Akira for less. Just sayin'. Maybe he sees VV as the 1A so he doesn't want to disrespect him. 🤔

These playoffs have been bizarre. The Devils have either cruised to victory or cruised to defeat. If they're to go out this round, fair enough, but go down fighting. I hope the players take this as a huge learning experience and come back better next season.

LGD!

2 hours ago, slasher72 said:

In the post game Ruff said, 
"If you look at how we played and what we gave up, I don't think we should point the finger at the goaltender."

5 goals on 15 shots. Lol. Anyway, Ruff pulled Akira for less. Just sayin'. Maybe he sees VV as the 1A so he doesn't want to disrespect him. 🤔

I wouldn’t read too much into that comment. Lindy was just saying that the skaters were terrible and that the game was unwinnable with their performance. Someone asked him a question about when he pulled Vitek (suggesting it was about two goals too late) and Lindy pretty much said it didn’t matter. Anyway, I think we would all be shocked to see Vitek. Benching him is a layup. 

31 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

There is zero quit in this team.  But that said, Rod the Bod has his team playing lights out.

LFGD.

Whoever plays - make a freakin save.

Agree, they try and they don't quit, but they do seem to have a way of coming apart quickly in these playoff losses...they can be rattled.  Posted it in another thread but they've been outscored 32-7 in their six playoff losses.  In their last three playoff wins they've outscored their opponents 16-4.  It's beyond bizarre.  They're either in control from the get-go or coming completely apart.  

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree, they try and they don't quit, but they do seem to have a way of coming apart quickly in these playoff losses...they can be rattled.  Posted it in another thread but they've been outscored 32-7 in their six playoff losses.  In their last three playoff wins they've outscored their opponents 16-4.  It's beyond bizarre.  They're either in control from the get-go or coming completely apart.  

If I had to guess, that’s probably a young team just not having the experience and getting easily overwhelmed when the other team turns it up. We have to remember, we are only one year removed from this nearly same roster being atrocious. Still a lot of learning and development to go, but this playoffs is definitely the Devils kicking the door open to say they’ll be contenders for the next 5-10 years. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If I had to guess, that’s probably a young team just not having the experience and getting easily overwhelmed when the other team turns it up. We have to remember, we are only one year removed from this nearly same roster being atrocious. Still a lot of learning and development to go, but this playoffs is definitely the Devils kicking the door open to say they’ll be contenders for the next 5-10 years. 

Oh I agree fully with this...it's just interestingly odd how ALL of their playoff losses have basically been so similar...especially when such losses were pretty rare during the regular season.  But I agree in that this is all a learning experience and that's largely why I haven't really killed them when they've been getting killed themselves.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh I agree fully with this...it's just interestingly odd how ALL of their playoff losses have basically been so similar...especially when such losses were pretty rare during the regular season.  But I agree in that this is all a learning experience and that's largely why I haven't really killed them when they've been getting killed themselves.  

They’ve played two very experienced playoff teams. Both have been in the conversation for a few years now, so when a young team like the Devils falters against them it can go south real fast. Really makes game 7 even more incredible. They showed up and played their game and controlled the whole thing. Game 3 in this series as well. When they turn it on they are a scary good team.  I think they’ll be able to do that more in the coming years with experience. Bittersweet for sure this year but I’m still rooting for a big 3-1 come back. It ain’t over till it’s over, but this is all gravy to me, talking about Devils hockey in nearly mid May?? How refreshing 

• Like 5

not to dwell on the past but assuming we get that first goal (we may be toast if we dont) the second is critical. palat had a chance last night that if he buries could have changed the complexion.  of course every team wants to be up 2-0 but feels more important for this team to get that extra lift.  three losses now after scoring first goal but giving up the second ……

14 minutes ago, LIDevsFan1 said:

not to dwell on the past but assuming we get that first goal (we may be toast if we dont) the second is critical. palat had a chance last night that if he buries could have changed the complexion.  of course every team wants to be up 2-0 but feels more important for this team to get that extra lift.  three losses now after scoring first goal but giving up the second ……

I was a bit worried about that as Game 4 unfolded...felt like getting one goal out of those first 10-12 minutes or so wasn't going to be enough, that Carolina was going to pick it up...that being said, I didn't think that the game was going to get SO far away from them in the second period.

27 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

They’ve played two very experienced playoff teams. Both have been in the conversation for a few years now, so when a young team like the Devils falters against them it can go south real fast. Really makes game 7 even more incredible. They showed up and played their game and controlled the whole thing. Game 3 in this series as well. When they turn it on they are a scary good team.  I think they’ll be able to do that more in the coming years with experience. Bittersweet for sure this year but I’m still rooting for a big 3-1 come back. It ain’t over till it’s over, but this is all gravy to me, talking about Devils hockey in nearly mid May?? How refreshing 

Yeah once the Devils beat the Rangers (especially the WAY that they did in Game 7), it's all been bonus to me since.  I did think the Canes could actually be an easier series than the Rangers but I was definitely wrong there.  Regardless, there's nothing that can tarnish 2022-23 for me...if were told that we'd watch the Devils bank 112 points in the regular season and finish with the third-best record, watch Jack fall one point short of 100 (but set a franchise record with 99), witness Nico have a career year and be nominated for the Selke, and top of that see the Devils dispatch a most-hated rival that thought they were Cup-bound...EVERY SINGLE FAN is happily signing up for that.  Even if it ends harshly this year.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2