GDT: Game 5 - Do or Die - 11 May @ 1900

jagknife

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah once the Devils beat the Rangers (especially the WAY that they did in Game 7), it's all been bonus to me since.  I did think the Canes could actually be an easier series than the Rangers but I was definitely wrong there.  Regardless, there's nothing that can tarnish 2022-23 for me...if were told that we'd watch the Devils bank 112 points in the regular season and finish with the third-best record, watch Jack fall one point short of 100 (but set a franchise record with 99), witness Nico have a career year and be nominated for the Selke, and top of that see the Devils dispatch a most-hated rival that thought they were Cup-bound...EVERY SINGLE FAN is happily signing up for that.  Even if it ends harshly this year.  

Except for the fact that I never once thought the 'Canes would be easier to beat than the Rangers, I could have written this myself. 

Of course I hate watching them get stomped, and of course I hope they can fight their way back into this series, and I'd dearly LOVE to see them win it. But they've already far exceeded any expectations I might have had coming into this season. Just the fact that they made it into the postseason was plenty awesome; anything beyond beating the Rangers is totally cake to me.

Edited by Brick Pig
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

From the presser today it sounds like Graves is ready and Lindy could very well go back to him. Said the team failed Vanecek. So... Who knows about tomorrow. I won't be shocked to see Graves and VV in the game in lieu of Luke and Schmid.

Chico said on the post show he thinks it will be Schmid and he's been pretty spot on so far during the playoffs. I think it will be too. 

There’s not much to say.

Playing the Canes in the postseason is a horror show for our beloved Devils.

Unless Schmid becomes a wall like he did against the Rags, there is no reason to believe the Devils will even be competitive tomorrow night.

Maybe they can drag it game 6, but history suggests it’s over tomorrow night.

God I hope I’m wrong.

11 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I think they're done. But, yeah, I'll be watching, hoping they're not.

Pretty much exactly where I am.  Hopeful but not optimistic.  

• Like 1

Dear New Jersey Devils,

I decided to consult my Magic Eight Ball this morning to see if you'd do me a solid and pull out a W tonight.

First answer:  "Outlook not so good."

Tried again:  "Very doubtful."

Unacceptable, went again:  "My reply is no."

Not good enough, kept going:  "Don't count on it."

Awful, did another:  "Ask again later."

Decided to end there.  At least it was non-committal.

Good luck tonight,

NJCroMag

Edited by NJCroMag
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Just... For the love of God, don't go to Blackwood

Yeah, that's all I'm really asking at this point.  Schmid and VV haven't been at their best this series (and the team often hasn't been either), that's obvious, but at least BOTH of them had their share of good moments this year.  Mac has basically been...Mac.  An .892 save% over his last 74 appearances...I'll take my chances with Schmid and his .921 save% overall (regular season and playoffs).  He's simply earned this.  Mac hasn't.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, that's all I'm really asking at this point.  Schmid and VV haven't been at their best this series (and the team often hasn't been either), that's obvious, but at least BOTH of them had their share of good moments this year.  Mac has basically been...Mac.  An .892 save% over his last 74 appearances...I'll take my chances with Schmid and his .921 save% overall (regular season and playoffs).  He's simply earned this.  Mac hasn't.

Bingo.  Couldn't agree more.

Imo the worst thing that could happen is that Blackwood plays, looks good enough but we still lose... then we go into the offseason with a "goalie controversy". 

I want Blackwood nowhere near this team next year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Bingo.  Couldn't agree more.

Imo the worst thing that could happen is that Blackwood plays, looks good enough but we still lose... then we go into the offseason with a "goalie controversy". 

I want Blackwood nowhere near this team next year.

Schmid has pretty much made Mac obsolete.  VV is already signed up for two more years at a VERY fair cap hit...a guy who was in net for 33 wins at $3.4 million AAV?  I know he's had a brutal playoff but that's excellent value.  Hard to imagine that they're not the tandem to start 2023-24.  

Brennan signed his ELC, so hard to think he's not splitting duty with Daws next year...so Utica is spoken for.  There's just NO room for Mac here...this was his final chance to stay healthy AND show something, and he did neither.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There's just NO room for Mac here...this was his final chance to stay healthy AND show something, and he did neither.

From your keyboard to God's ears.

Someone in this organization, whether it's Ruff, Fitz, Marty... seems to really have a soft spot for him.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Schmid has pretty much made Mac obsolete.  VV is already signed up for two more years at a VERY fair cap hit...a guy who was in net for 33 wins at $3.4 million AAV?  I know he's had a brutal playoff but that's excellent value.  Hard to imagine that they're not the tandem to start 2023-24.  

Brennan signed his ELC, so hard to think he's not splitting duty with Daws next year...so Utica is spoken for.  There's just NO room for Mac here...this was his final chance to stay healthy AND show something, and he did neither.  

Also, who’s to say he isn’t completely gassed. We were worried about that about midway through the season cause he’d never played this much before.

Give him the off-season to work conditioning and see what happens. Him and Schmid I think are our solid bets for next year.

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

From your keyboard to God's ears.

Someone in this organization, whether it's Ruff, Fitz, Marty... seems to really have a soft spot for him.

I think it was more of “he’s still our property, might as well give him a shot to rebound.” But now it HAS to be over. He has no value here

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Also, who’s to say he isn’t completely gassed. We were worried about that about midway through the season cause he’d never played this much before.

Give him the off-season to work conditioning and see what happens. Him and Schmid I think are our solid bets for next year.

I think it was more of “he’s still our property, might as well give him a shot to rebound.” But now it HAS to be over. He has no value here

And someone here keeps bringing up Connor Hellebuyck, but there's two HUGE problems:

His upcoming cap hit for this season ($6,166,666).  Guess if Fitz chose not to pay Bratt then you can take the hit, but...

...he's also a UFA the following year.  You'll be paying absolute top dollar for his Age 31 and beyond seasons.  Anybody want this guy at 35 years old making $9-10 million AAV with 3 years or so left on his deal?  How many prime years does he have left (see Schneider, Cory)?  Doesn't sound ideal to me at all...especially with the other guys the Devils are going to want to keep and pay up for.  The Devils really gotta develop netminders from within and keep their goaltending costs down for as long as possible.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My sentiment for tonight is basically what it's been all playoffs so far, and despite the 3 ass kickings we got so far this series, I don't have a reason to change it: Cautiously optimistic. 

This team had stretches of brilliance this season and it wouldn't shock me if they buckled down and won three straight to keep this dream alive, but it also wouldn't surprise me if we got spanked in their house tonight and go out with a dud, just based on 3 of the 4 games this series. 

I really hope we get a full team effort tonight with everyone leaving it all out there. They should definitely be rested with no skate today.  I think Schmid deserves to start and Luke remain in the lineup. 

If we play smart, responsible, and intense hockey, we can absolutely win tonight. Let's keep this thing going and go back to our house on Saturday. C'mon boys!

• Like 5