The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I love the idea of Bahl/Siegs as a third pairing.  Bahl moves very quick for his size and he isn't afraid to shoot either. I think he's only going to improve.  Siegs is what he is - an offensive black hole at times, but that's not his job.  His job is to play solid defense and for the most part he seems to do that just fine. Seems like the perfect guy to log 3rd line D-pair minutes.

I disagree, but so be it. 

Based on his comments and his roster decisions this series, Lindy and Fitz def agreed with me. 

For whatever that’s worth lol.

13 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Wrong. You have zero evidence showing that those loss numbers indicate bad goaltending and not simply bad defense. It's not as simple as you're trying to make it sound. 

Also NHL is not the NFL. Literally apples to oranges. In both player assets and finance assets

This comment is entirely non responsive to the substance of my own. 

And yes, the NFL is not the NHL.  However, the NFL is a hard-capped league also, and the need to take advantage of a collection of young talent on rookie deals is essential because before too long you have to let some of them go so you can pay the ones you keep. Simple math. That day is coming. Heck, for example Mercer has one more season before he needs to be paid. 

Want to waste it?

Edited by smelly

I don’t know how anyone could not be high on Akira Schmid right now. Feels like a case of someone just digging their heels in for the sake of it. 

It looks very likely that they have something with him. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t know how anyone could not be high on Akira Schmid right now. Feels like a case of someone just digging their heels in for the sake of it. 

Nah, we need Connor Hellebuyck (whose name I’ve spelled wrong multiple times, like the typing version of Dano.)

But saying we need CH isn’t saying our goalies are bad.

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The list of goalies dazzled even more than Akira during a playoff run is a mile long.  

The list of those who performed similarly over the long haul is a lot shorter. 

Which will Smid be? Remains to be seen. If he is the real deal, awesome. 

if not, the clock is ticking. 

I think Fitz has no choice but to investigate an upgrade. If it isn’t there, or the price is prohibitive, run it back with Akira. 

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Nah, we need Connor Hellebuyck (whose name I’ve spelled wrong multiple times, like the typing version of Dano.)

But saying we need CH isn’t saying our goalies are bad.

Stick with CH. I gave up awhile ago. 

he is just one option. I’ve mentioned others. The upgrade is what matters if it’s doable. The guy doesn’t matter if he’s enough of an improvement. 

as for your logic: Alex smith led the chiefs to two consecutive division titles and then made the pro bowl. The chiefs then replaced him with mahomes. Did the chiefs think their qb play was bad? Or did they just think it could be better?

if you insist on sticking to hockey, same question about TB going from Bishop to Vasy. 

Edited by smelly

11 minutes ago, smelly said:

Stick with CH. I gave up awhile ago. 

he is just one option. I’ve mentioned others. The upgrade is what matters if it’s doable. The guy doesn’t matter if he’s enough of an improvement. 

as for your logic: Alex smith led the chiefs to two consecutive division titles and then made the pro bowl. The chiefs then replaced him with mahomes. Did the chiefs think their qb play was bad? Or did they just think it could be better?

if you insist on sticking to hockey, same question about TB going from Bishop to Vasy. 

You’re using Alex Smith being replaced by Patrick Mahomes as the foundation of your argument to support replacing our young new guy who showed solid promise (Mahomes) with Connor Hellebuyck (Smith) and you think that HELPS your argument…?

Jesus dude if you were going to try a crappy football analogy you should have gone Goff for Stafford…

12 minutes ago, jagknife said:

You’re using Alex Smith being replaced by Patrick Mahomes as the foundation of your argument to support replacing our young new guy who showed solid promise (Mahomes) with Connor Hellebuyck (Smith) and you think that HELPS your argument…?

Jesus dude if you were going to try a crappy football analogy you should have gone Goff for Stafford…

No, that’s not at all what I used that analogy for. 

You have said that because I say we need to upgrade our goaltending I necessarily must think that our current goaltending is bad (and that I think it is the only reason Carolina won). 

My Chiefs analogy (and my Lightning one that you don’t mention) shows that your logic is wrong, and that just because someone might make a change/improvement doesn’t at all mean that they must also think that the situation they are changing is poor. 

6 minutes ago, smelly said:

No, that’s not at all what I used that analogy for. 

You have said that because I say we need to upgrade our goaltending I necessarily must think that our current goaltending is bad (and that I think it is the only reason Carolina won). 

My Chiefs analogy (and my Lightning one that you don’t mention) shows that your logic is wrong, and that just because someone might make a change/improvement doesn’t at all mean that they must also think that the situation they are changing is poor. 

Okay, you outright said all the superlatives for Alex smith, pro bowl/conference championship games, then said he got replaced by Mahomes, leading to Super Bowls. Hellebuyck literally has a Vezina and has some post season success, aka Alex Smith. If anything Schmid is Mahomes.

both examples you have given are an older player being replaced by a significantly younger, loaded with potential yet unproven player.

you, again, are supporting holding serve with Schmid and you’re refusing to even see it.

this is literally going to be a merry-go-round argument cause I will not agree that we need to get older in net, period. The cost will be too high and we have too much potential based on the limited amount we’ve seen. (Hello, Patrick Mahomes)

EDIT: and it may not what you used the analogy for, but it’s 100% how it actually is. Older and tested/kinda proven is to new and unproven but lots of potential.

Edited by jagknife

@jagknifeI never asked you to agree ….?

I will also say it again - I never analogized Smid/upgrade with Smith/Mahomes in any other way than I have stated (twice). So you are just tilting at windmills there  

As for the goalie issue. you’re entitled to your opinion that no change is necessary.  I just disagree and believe investigating an upgrade is imperative. 

so be it. 

Edited by smelly

5 minutes ago, smelly said:

@jagknifeI never asked you to agree ….?

I will also say it again - I never analogized Smid/upgrade with Smith/Mahomes in any other way than I have stated (twice). So you are just tilting at windmills there  

As for the goalie issue. you’re entitled to your opinion that no change is necessary.  I just disagree and believe investigating an upgrade is imperative. 

so be it. 

Please at least learn how to spell the kid’s name if you’re going to keep slagging him off. 

It’s *Schmid*

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Kid beat the Rangers in a playoff series. He earned your respect. 

He did. And he has my respect for that.  He also got pulled multiple times in the playoffs. As far as I am concerned the jury is still out. Johan Hedberg says hello. 

And if Fitz can find an upgrade for fair value he has to do it. 

Edited by smelly

4 minutes ago, smelly said:

He did. And he has my respect for that.  He also got pulled multiple times in the playoffs. As far as I am concerned the jury is still out.

And if Fitz can find an upgrade for fair value he has to do it. 

image.gif.4f13150a4181b3a6625c02cbe995c79f.gif

Edited by Nicomo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

First, for new business:

1) Graves played himself off this roster in the post season. His vanishing act is something Houdini would be impressed by.

2) Severson earned an offer. I doubt it will be anything that can keep him here, but his playoffs were solid enough to warrant an offer

3) Bratt cost himself millions by also vanishing. Period. He did NOTHING outside of the assist on the Dougie OT winner. I don’t even count the empty netter. We counted on Bratt, he choked.

4) Timo’s contact extension talks should begin right this second, if they haven’t. He is a DEVIL. He needs to stay a long time.

I’ll come up with more

I will NOT be fooled by Damon Severson.  He must be off this team next year. We know what he is - a player who lives on bad teams. I’m not letting a small stretch of games give his poor tenure here a free pass. We have young defensemen in the wings. Cut ties with Severson and move on.

agreed with everything else!