The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

14 hours ago, jagknife said:

First, for new business:

1) Graves played himself off this roster in the post season. His vanishing act is something Houdini would be impressed by.

2) Severson earned an offer. I doubt it will be anything that can keep him here, but his playoffs were solid enough to warrant an offer

3) Bratt cost himself millions by also vanishing. Period. He did NOTHING outside of the assist on the Dougie OT winner. I don’t even count the empty netter. We counted on Bratt, he choked.

4) Timo’s contact extension talks should begin right this second, if they haven’t. He is a DEVIL. He needs to stay a long time.

I’ll come up with more

Can't argue with any of that.

I've not been a Mcleod fan, but the guy really upped his game in the playoffs and I think he deserves a new contract. I'd also like to see Haula back. Tatar I'm on the fence about. Lastly, if there's an option to upgrade in the goalie department they should definitely look at it.

11 minutes ago, capo said:

What's interesting about Sharangovich is he was 3/4 liner in Binghamton and responsible checking forward. He found a scoring touch at the end of his tenure there and really found in the KHL.  He's a great 3/4 line guy. It's what he was bread to be in the system.  All of the sudden he starts scoring and he immediately gets billed as that guy. He's not that guy.

re:  the bolded, I think that he kinda-sorta is on a bad team, where he's getting top-line minutes out of necessity and facing his share of backup goalies, and it's not crucial that his game has some serious flaws.  But a guy like him on a good team sinks down the depth chart in a hurry.

3 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Can't argue with any of that.

I've not been a Mcleod fan, but the guy really upped his game in the playoffs and I think he deserves a new contract. I'd also like to see Haula back. Tatar I'm on the fence about. Lastly, if there's an option to upgrade in the goalie department they should definitely look at it.

I think they're at least one season away from having to address the bolded.  Schmid showed too much not to give him a look.  But depending on how next season goes, that might be the time to have a real "OK, who's out there and what will he cost in assets and money to get?"  Schmid definitely forced himself into the conversation, but now he's gotta stay there.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, capo said:

What's interesting about Sharangovich is he was 3/4 liner in Binghamton and responsible checking forward. He found a scoring touch at the end of his tenure there and really found in the KHL.  He's a great 3/4 line guy. It's what he was bread to be in the system.  All of the sudden he starts scoring and he immediately gets billed as that guy. He's not that guy.

It’s not what he’s billed as. It’s was he wants to be paid as. I can guarantee you he’s going to want to be paid as the 20-30 goal guy

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Fitz might've been able to fetch a 2nd for one of 'em, who knows, but most people know and agree that it can't always be about pure stockpiling of assets every year that your team isn't somehow some borderline lock for a Cup.  This season was a feel-good nice stepping stone kind of year...feel-good enough that I was willing to pass up fortifying the draft cupboard to see just how far the 2022-23 Devils could've gone.  Sometimes you lose guys for nothing...happens everywhere.  It's not always nuts-and-bolts "asset management".  The Devils derailed the Rangers so much that they canned their coach.  The kids won a playoff round.  That was worth not getting to say "What's Fitz gonna do with that 2024 second-rounder he snagged for Seves?"

I agree. Fitz wasn’t going to subtract at the deadline. This year was about seeing what this team could do and we got a glimpse of their potential. Can’t wait to see how we build on it. 

• EvilHeart 4

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I agree. Fitz wasn’t going to subtract at the deadline. This year was about seeing what this team could do and we got a glimpse of their potential. Can’t wait to see how we build on it. 

I won’t keep harping on SD, but the one thing that dude just could not seem to grasp is that GMs who’ve put together a fun and competitive team that is more of a dark horse candidate at best to win a Cup aren’t going to deal off solid pieces at or near the deadline that clearly will hurt their teams in the present…even if those pieces are UFAs-to-be.  Especially when some of those fanbases have been VERY patient in waiting to see their teams turn a corner.  It’s a sh!tty look and has a way of hurting morale in multiple circles.  

I think Fitz has handled deadlines as a buyer AND a seller phenomenally well.  He EASILY could’ve went for a splashy rental this season, but instead brought in a “Now AND Later” star, and a cheap depth piece.  Perfect happy medium.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Random question:

If Dubas (or some other Leafs GM) calls and offers you Marner for Bratt and Nemec…how long do you stay on the phone?  For me it would be maybe 30 seconds…simply not giving up Nemec.  

• Like 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Random question:

If Dubas (or some other Leafs GM) calls and offers you Marner for Bratt and Nemec…how long do you stay on the phone?  For me it would be maybe 30 seconds…simply not giving up Nemec.  

nope. like you said. nemec. our d is gonna be great in a few years. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

forgot about holtz. think any team would bite on him? obviously need an established player back not picks. 

Can’t imagine his value is all that great at the moment.  Curious to see what Bratt + Holtz might fetch.  

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Random question:

That’s not a direction I would go but it’s kind of interesting.   I guess you could make a legit case that if Severson was willing to sign a team friendly contract, him an Marner could bring more than Nemec and Bratt or whatever his cap space is replaced with.   Ultimately though, I think Rich man’s Jesper Bratt is way too expensive because my comparison above should also include losing a player or two to account for the delta in salary between Bratt and Marner and we lose 3 years of a potential top D on an ELC.    Interesting but I would pass 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

forgot about holtz. think any team would bite on him? obviously need an established player back not picks. 

At this point, I think we should keep him.   With the emergence of Mercer and the acquisition of Meier, I don’t think there is as much pressure anymore from the fan base for him to turn into the top line finisher we thought we drafted and desperately needed.   Honestly, if he becomes a good middle 6 on a cheap contract, he will be a good fit.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Random question:

Nemec is untouchable. I hang up after a hearty laugh. If Dubas wants help on D, he can overpay Severson.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Random question:

Even if you wanted to do the trade, how would you fit Marners $10.9m cap in? I'm intrigued to see our defence with Luke and Nemec in it, so a big no for me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lateralous said:

That’s not a direction I would go but it’s kind of interesting.   I guess you could make a legit case that if Severson was willing to sign a team friendly contract, him an Marner could bring more than Nemec and Bratt or whatever his cap space is replaced with.   Ultimately though, I think Rich man’s Jesper Bratt is way too expensive because my comparison above should also include losing a player or two to account for the delta in salary between Bratt and Marner and we lose 3 years of a potential top D on an ELC.    Interesting but I would pass 

Yeah I pass.  But to me it’s an interesting “Hmmmmmmm” for some I’m sure.

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

re:  the bolded, I think that he kinda-sorta is on a bad team, where he's getting top-line minutes out of necessity and facing his share of backup goalies, and it's not crucial that his game has some serious flaws.  But a guy like him on a good team sinks down the depth chart in a hurry.

I think that's ok. He's a reliable 3-zone player. If he ups his physicality he's exactly what you need. Put him on a line with Boqvist and Lazar and that's a damn good bottom 6 line.  Boqvist needs to amp up the physical play as well.  Maybe playing with a guy like Lazar who transformed his game into that style helps those two do the same.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

8????   If that’s true, the contract will be an albatross from day 1.   

I wouldn’t even feel all that great about $7 mil AAV at this point.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

Hellybyuck? Not sure if that’s the best spelling. 

Still more interested in giving Schmid a chance than paying up for Hellebuyck’s Age 30 and beyond years.

• Like 2