The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

They probably would have done the Rangers vs both the Devils and Islanders like at Yankee Stadium but since the Rangers would have to be the home team they weren't gonna do that in NJ.

Financially besides some signage even if the the Devils vs Flyers game doesn't sell out they will still be making a ton on it cause they already rented the building out anyway, paid for the rink and the whole setup.

Don’t the Rags have some stupid thing with MSG that they get 41 home games in the worlds most famous toilet?

i thought that was why the games at Yankee stadium counted towards the isles and our home slates

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Don’t the Rags have some stupid thing with MSG that they get 41 home games in the worlds most famous toilet?

i thought that was why the games at Yankee stadium counted towards the isles and our home slates

Yeah I had a mind fart, I'm more surprised they aren't doing Devils hosting the Rangers and Islanders hosting the Rangers like they did at Yankee Stadium is what I meant. 

I remember the Islanders hosted the Rangers on a weekday and it was less crowded than the Devils hosting the Rangers weekend game at Yankee Stadium so the thinking is probably instead of cannibalizing the 2nd game you have 2 other fan bases to sell to instead.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

I gotta admit...first and foremost, I do NOT knock anyone who chooses to spend a lot of their hard-earned to show up to these outdoor games.  I'm not out to yuck other people's yums.  I'm sure many fans who go have a blast, and if they're having a good time, that's great.  

BUT, I'd much rather watch the game indoors where I'm not freezing my a$$ off (or having to heavily layer up) and have a much better view of the game.  Part of me is curious enough to consider going, but I don't think I would really enjoy it as much as some other people might.  I think the 20-to-35-year-old version of me might have been more into it.

The irony is that actual freezing cold doesn't bother me much at all...as long as I'm MOVING (for example, speed-walking 5-6 miles over varying terrain).  If it's one of those especially cold days and I'm just standing in one spot...that holds much less appeal. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I went to the Buffalo-Rag game at city field. It was -11 when I woke up that morning and I think the high was under 20. It was insanely cold. I had those little warming packets in my boots and pockets. People’s beers were literally freezing in the cup holders. 

Then at the next years winter classic it was 50 degrees and I felt cheated. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I gotta admit...first and foremost, I do NOT knock anyone who chooses to spend a lot of their hard-earned to show up to these outdoor games.  I'm not out to yuck other people's yums.  I'm sure many fans who go have a blast, and if they're having a good time, that's great.  

BUT, I'd much rather watch the game indoors where I'm not freezing my a$$ off (or having to heavily layer up) and have a much better view of the game.  Part of me is curious enough to consider going, but I don't think I would really enjoy it as much as some other people might.  I think the 20-to-35-year-old version of me might have been more into it.

The irony is that actual freezing cold doesn't bother me much at all...as long as I'm MOVING (for example, speed-walking 5-6 miles over varying terrain).  If it's one of those especially cold days and I'm just standing in one spot...that holds much less appeal. 

If the weather is anything like this past winter it might not even be that cold at all. This past winter was super mild. The Red Bulls always start in late February / early March and it's usually not bad. I admittedly like the cold but for those games I usually just wear a long sleeve shirt under my jersey. 

13 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

If the weather is anything like this past winter it might not even be that cold at all. This past winter was super mild. The Red Bulls always start in late February / early March and it's usually not bad. I admittedly like the cold but for those games I usually just wear a long sleeve shirt under my jersey. 

Oh for sure, it could be easily 50 degrees or more on game day...winters don't always have the bite that they once did...this past winter was more like four months of November.  But it's also about the sightlines too...many of the seats are just so damned far away.  I don't mind the Devils playing in one though because I like to see these kids get exposure whenever possible...maybe then some of these a$$hole broadcasters who openly root against the Devils and/or still think the Devils are "the bad guys" for whatever the reasons will start to see that this team is worthy of some praise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think the novelty is just simply being able to see my NHL team play outdoors in a huge stadium. It's a pretty rare opportunity. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I think the novelty is just simply being able to see my NHL team play outdoors in a huge stadium. It's a pretty rare opportunity. 

Yeah next year will actually be a decade since the last one at Yankee Stadium. You had fans of our team who were young and might not have even gone that are driving themselves now and wanna go, time flies lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He did win a Vezina and can handle a heavy workload...he's not definitely not just average.  But even with a Vezina under his belt, I'm not at all remotely eager to pay him elite-goaltender money when I'm not at all convinced he's actually top-level elite.  If the Devils wound up getting him, I'd be thinking more "Did Fitz really have to do this?" as opposed to "Damn, we got Hellebuyck, here we come muthafvckas!"  It feels like he's getting treatment from the media that I don't think he's rightly earned.  This isn't Patrick Roy suddenly being made available by the Canadiens here.  

Yeah, that's pretty much my point too.  He won the Vezina 4 years ago and went 31-21-0-5 with 2.57 gaa and .922 sv%.  That's nice I suppose, but I wouldn't have figured it was Vezina-worthy. I had to look it up to see what year he won.  I have to think it had more to do with the 6 shutouts he had that season, and you have to wonder how much did his fellow D men contribute to that. 

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

SNY used the tweet I posted as a source so we are hosting the Flyers there too. 

Personally I'm fine not playing the rangers so I can enjoy the game since flyers fans have been mellow for ages now. 

Don't care about both isles and rangers playing there too. 

I hope our fanbase can sellout 80k seats given that Philly fans are probably apathetic about hockey these days.

Our fans did a tremendous job filling up Yankee Stadium but that was probably 25-30k of us. Hopefully in NJ we can get even more Devil fans.

8 minutes ago, devlman said:

I hope our fanbase can sellout 80k seats given that Philly fans are probably apathetic about hockey these days.

Our fans did a tremendous job filling up Yankee Stadium but that was probably 25-30k of us. Hopefully in NJ we can get even more Devil fans.

If they price it right there's no reason we can't get 60k Devils fans in there, 20-30k Flyers fans coming up the Turnpike even if their team stinks isn't unrealistic either. I'm sure some of their fans would rather go to this and skip some games at their arena instead to make up the price difference if that's what their concern is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You’re lucky to have missed the YS game then. That remains one of the coldest days I’ve ever experienced. People were overcrowding the bathroom just because it was heated.

I’ve been to the Meadowlands exactly once since since the Devils moved.   I might have to go to this outdoor game just to park by the walking bridge that leads to the arena for old times sake.  Maybe even do a pregame back and forth crossing if it’s open.  

I was done with outdoor games for a while (I went to caps at Pens in 2011 and rangers at Flyers in 2012) but it’s been long enough that im excited to go to one of these again.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, devlman said:

You’re lucky to have missed the YS game then. That remains one of the coldest days I’ve ever experienced. People were overcrowding the bathroom just because it was heated.

I remember that game very well because there was a douche Rangers fan yelling “F Marty” the entire time. With tons of kids around in our section. Someone finally complained and he eventually got moved/kicked out in the second period from what I remember. But it was miserable being in the cold and because of that guy.

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Plenty of room for Fitz to be creative. Can’t wait to extend Timo and hopefully Bratt if he’s reasonable 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/devils

LOTS of cap room and LOTS of players to sign.  And yeah lots of opportunity for Fitz to be creative.  Only one more year for Schneider and Kuokkanen’s dead hits, and then all that’s left is one more year of Kovalchuk’s annual $250k recapture penalty.  Devils should have ALL of their money to work with after the 2024-25 season.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MB3’s son is out of surgery (was 8.5 hrs long) and though he’ll have a long recovery ahead, at least this part is over.  Passing this along as he asked me to let everyone know.  Also wanted to thank all for the well wishes and prayers.  Hope they all get through the tougher days still ahead.

Great news! Glad to hear the surgery went well. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MB3’s son is out of surgery (was 8.5 hrs long) and though he’ll have a long recovery ahead, at least this part is over.  Passing this along as he asked me to let everyone know.  Also wanted to thank all for the well wishes and prayers.  Hope they all get through the tougher days still ahead.

Thank you, I was wondering all day. Glad to hear and hope his health is smoother from here on out.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

There's a risk in getting Connor Hellebuyk. There's also a risk in standing pat with what you've got. 

Yea, sometimes you’ve gotta take a chance, I’m not sure that guy is the answer.. but I also don’t think vv is either.