The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

Having trouble embedding tweets right now for some reason, but Todd Cordell makes a good point on why you don’t make that trade if you’re the Devils:

Kind of funny you hear the #NJDevils , for example, won't go anywhere until they get a marquee goalie and the only one still playing is Oettinger (.895 SV% these playoffs).

Bobrovsky was benched to start R1, Hill has a career high of 27GP, and the Hurricanes use a $6.5M tandem.

The prudent move is to see if Akira is the real deal. He certainly flashed enough to get the chance. 

• Like 7

I prefer to make no big moves. 
Sign Bratt and Meier. Sign Haula, sign Mcleod, Bastian, Sharangovich, Bahl, Boqvist. May be sign Tatar if he is okay with cheap 1-2 years deal. Sign 6-7 RD for 1-2 years. Or trade Demelo. No goalies, No Hellebyucks, no top-9 forwards, no top-4 defensemen. Everything Devils need is more expirience and some time for Luke and Simon. 

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Are we sure it's not on Twitters end? They haven't been having a great 48 hours

I thought that too at first, but other sites are letting me embed tweets no problem. 

Edited by Nicomo

On 5/26/2023 at 3:08 PM, pumpkin cutter said:

ask jack whom he wants to play with and sign them. 

Hey, Jack. Which one of these corpses do you want us to give wayyyy too much money to?

image.png.5a0b5a31e47f879ea2e73afc1f212e5d.png

The only one I'd even consider is O'Reily and he is prob going to want a 3-5 year deal and that isn't going to happen in NJ and he doesn't fit our "speed" profile. We already have Palat as the aging veteran role guy on the team.

Other notable UFAs:

Barbashev, Zucker, and Bertuzzi. The only one I'd really consider is Barbashev but if I am Fitz I am not really asking Jack because that isn't how it works lol.

Edited by NJDevils1214

11 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The only one I'd really consider is Barbashev but if I am Fitz I am not really asking Jack because that isn't how it works lol.

He just scored a great goal. Looked like a power forward. 

12 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Hey, Jack. Which one of these corpses do you want us to give wayyyy too much money to?

image.png.5a0b5a31e47f879ea2e73afc1f212e5d.png

The only one I'd even consider is O'Reily and he is prob going to want a 3-5 year deal and that isn't going to happen in NJ and he doesn't fit our "speed" profile. We already have Palat as the aging veteran role guy on the team.

Other notable UFAs:

Barbashev, Zucker, and Bertuzzi. The only one I'd really consider is Barbashev but if I am Fitz I am not really asking Jack because that isn't how it works lol.

But the thing is it kinda is how it works. GMs do ask the core players their opinions. It might not be a lone factor in yes or no of getting someone but players definitely get asked.

As for Barbashev, yes please, ESPECIALLY if we struggle to lock up Timo or if Bratt and his agent keep up the “he’s worth $9m+” games

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jagknife said:

But the thing is it kinda is how it works. GMs do ask the core players their opinions. It might not be a lone factor in yes or no of getting someone but players definitely get asked.

As for Barbashev, yes please, ESPECIALLY if we struggle to lock up Timo or if Bratt and his agent keep up the “he’s worth $9m+” games

On 5/26/2023 at 3:05 PM, pumpkin cutter said:

don't want to beat a dead horse, but Tkachuk would've been amazing for us. 

jack needs to tell management who he wants to play with. 

It 100% does not work the way pumpkin cutter implied in his comment. Jack can say what he wants all day long, that doesn't mean it's even possible.

Yea, they might ask for their opinions, especially when it comes to questions about how they'd fit in or the coach, but no one is going to Jakc asking for his opinion on actual management decisions. This isn't the NBA where players just demand sh!t.

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It 100% does not work the way pumpkin cutter implied in his comment. Jack can say what he wants all day long, that doesn't mean it's even possible.

Yea, they might ask for their opinions, especially when it comes to questions about how they'd fit in or the coach, but no one is going to Jakc asking for his opinion on actual management decisions. This isn't the NBA where players just demand sh!t.

Oh I skipped PC’s post entirely, apologies

But I mean we even saw Jack get asked in his predraft interviews his opinion of players and stuff. GMs would be silly to not consult their cornerstones.

You’re definitely right that they 99.9% of the time don’t demand stuff like LeBum did in the NBA

23 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Other notable UFAs:

If some combination of our right wingers are not back, such as no Bratt and Sharangovich, I would consider giving Bertuzzi a look. I hate how often he was injured in Detroit, but he plays a kind of crash and bang style. Looked good when he came to Boston and stayed healthy. I think he may have gone cold though too. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

If some combination of our right wingers are not back, such as no Bratt and Sharangovich, I would consider giving Bertuzzi a look. I hate how often he was injured in Detroit, but he plays a kind of crash and bang style. Looked good when he came to Boston and stayed healthy. I think he may have gone cold though too. 

Players like him are getting older very badly. And he is injury prone. I don’t think it’s a good idea. 

I like idea of giving Monahan “show me” one year deal. If he will get injured, we have enough depth. Ofcourse sign Haula in any case, 

I'd love to see a trade for a guy like Chandler Stephenson to play on Jacks wing, (last year coming up) doubt they'd part with him. Maybe trade for Ross Colton?  (Jersey boy)  Trade for Anthony Beauvilier? Wonder if there's anyone out there that has size AND speed. (you can't put a sloth on a line with Jack.)

When your best friend is a Ranger fan...

I will admit, this dude is like family to me...and our families are like families to each other.  We have a great time every time that we all get together...as we did this past Memorial Day weekend.

BUT, he is a Ranger fan...not nearly as bad as some, but when you have a friendship that works on literally EVERY other level, you simply gotta bite your tongue...

...like when said best friend for life says "Jack Hughes is a punk.  He'd better watch it!"  (I have no idea what he possibly meant by this...I've NEVER heard Hughes called a punk, not even by other Rangers fans, who seem to actually respect him as much as they can, given that he wears the red and black).  

All I said to that was "C'mon man, you KNOW you wish you had him!  Are you happier with LaFailure and Kakko?"

He then said "Well, not like we had a chance to take Hughes."  So I HAD to remind him "Yeah, I get that fully, but YOUR FAN BASE cheered the Devils taking Hughes so that the Rangers could nab Kakko with their pick, at the draft.  And Valiquette actually said for all to hear that he felt Kakko would be the better player!"

Him:  "I like Valiquette"

Me:  "So, how about those friggin' Mets" (We're both Mets fans so might as well move on to common ground)

Some random stuff that he said about the Rangers:

He's done with Panarin.  Seems to be more and more Ranger fans who feel the same way.

He's losing patience with LaFailure.

If they go with Laviolette, he is not going to be happy with that choice.  Also is quickly becoming convinced Drury is not the right man to be the GM.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When your best friend is a Ranger fan...

I will admit, this dude is like family to me...and our families are like families to each other.  We have a great time every time that we all get together...as we did this past Memorial Day weekend.

BUT, he is a Ranger fan...not nearly as bad as some, but when you have a friendship that works on literally EVERY other level, you simply gotta bite your tongue...

...like when said best friend for life says "Jack Hughes is a punk.  He'd better watch it!"  (I have no idea what he possibly meant by this...I've NEVER heard Hughes called a punk, not even by other Rangers fans, who seem to actually respect him as much as they can, given that he wears the red and black).  

All I said to that was "C'mon man, you KNOW you wish you had him!  Are you happier with LaFailure and Kakko?"

He then said "Well, not like we had a chance to take Hughes."  So I HAD to remind him "Yeah, I get that fully, but YOUR FAN BASE cheered the Devils taking Hughes so that the Rangers could nab Kakko with their pick, at the draft.  And Valiquette actually said for all to hear that he felt Kakko would be the better player!"

Him:  "I like Valiquette"

Me:  "So, how about those friggin' Mets" (We're both Mets fans so might as well move on to common ground)

Some random stuff that he said about the Rangers:

He's done with Panarin.  Seems to be more and more Ranger fans who feel the same way.

He's losing patience with LaFailure.

If they go with Laviolette, he is not going to be happy with that choice.  Also is quickly becoming convinced Drury is not the right man to be the GM.  

My favorite hockey writer is Kournianos. A couple of times we talked about prospects and stuff. He is ranger fan. It`s ok if both sides go honest with smarts.

14 hours ago, Guadana said:

My favorite hockey writer is Kournianos. A couple of times we talked about prospects and stuff. He is ranger fan. It`s ok if both sides go honest with smarts.

Not easy to do with most Ranger fans.  There are exceptions, but they are EXTREMELY rare.  It's the dumbest fanbase that I've ever encountered, truly.  There's not much better in the sports world than watching that team fail yet again...especially when after being up 2-0 in the series, they clearly thought that their team had this thing won, we're on to the next round.

It really feels like the Devils could start to regain control of this rivalry...considering that the Rangers won one ECF during the Devils' many years of irrelevance, I can live with that.  They've won a whopping three playoff series over their last eight seasons.  fvck the Rangers.  All of 'em.  

• Like 1