The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

13 hours ago, vincois said:

Didn't we say the same about Zacha ? (thank god he's gone so we can't piss & moan about him) Didn't we have higher expectations from McCleod? Picked at #11. He's turned out to be a good 3rd/4th line center. #17 was picked what 4th rounD? Yes I wish he was more physical but,  then again I've always said that about Bratt.  Bratt doesn't play pk, he's not strong along the boards. I'm not saying #17 is very good, he has shortcomings but if you're going to trade him, get something back that helps you now.  I'm not sure what Boqvist ibrings to the table. I think he's trying to figure that out as well.

At least McLeod’s defined a role for himself…solid 4th liner who’s a faceoff king who provides decent offense for a 4th-line player.

Sharangovich (5th-rounder BTW) needs to do that soon…define what he is.  He has a nice shot but if he’s not generating many SOG there’s not much point to him playing top line minutes.

Being that Sharangovich didn’t help the Devils must last year (outside of PK duty, really), I don’t think it’s crucial that a “right now” piece comes back for him. And for all we know anything that would come back for him could be flipped this year in a different deal, designed to help the Devils immediately.

Agree that this upcoming season is a bit “now or never” for Boqvist.  I’m guess he gets a two-year, low-cost “OK kid let’s see what you really are” deal.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vincois said:

Didn't we say the same about Zacha ? (thank god he's gone so we can't piss & moan about him) Didn't we have higher expectations from McCleod? Picked at #11. He's turned out to be a good 3rd/4th line center. #17 was picked what 4th rounD? Yes I wish he was more physical but,  then again I've always said that about Bratt.  Bratt doesn't play pk, he's not strong along the boards. I'm not saying #17 is very good, he has shortcomings but if you're going to trade him, get something back that helps you now.  I'm not sure what Boqvist ibrings to the table. I think he's trying to figure that out as well.

I'm not saying Bratt *should* be on the PK, at least not necessarily long term, but I'd like to see it tried for a little while and see how it works out. He wouldn't obviously play PK for his size, he'd be a second pairing guy who would be good up top guarding the other team's points, someone who could be a threat to pick off passes and get some breakaways.  Very Gionta, Gomez, or Madden-esque.

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm not saying Bratt *should* be on the PK, at least not necessarily long term, but I'd like to see it tried for a little while and see how it works out. He wouldn't obviously play PK for his size, he'd be a second pairing guy who would be good up top guarding the other team's points, someone who could be a threat to pick off passes and get some breakaways.  Very Gionta, Gomez, or Madden-esque.

I'd also like to add, slotting Bratt on the PK would give him some more responsibility. Sure he plays the PP and is decent, but he's not amazing, so maybe you take him off the PP and switch him to PK.  Keep the PP lines as Hughes Nico Meier, Mercer Palat Holtz.  

Just a thought anyway.

Well for a while I was refreshing like crazy, thinking Timo was going to be signed quickly.  Guess it will take some time (no complaints).  

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Probably has more to do with structure than number.

That’s what I was thinking…the actual real money being paid each season vs the actual AAV.  

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At least McLeod’s defined a role for himself…solid 4th liner who’s a faceoff king who provides decent offense for a 4th-line player.

Sharangovich (5th-rounder BTW) needs to do that soon…definite what he is.  He has a nice shot but if he’s not generating many SOG there’s not much point to him playing top line minutes.

Being that Sharangovich didn’t help the Devils must last year (outside of PK duty, really), I don’t think it’s crucial that a “right now” piece comes back for him. And for all we know anything that would come back for him could be flipped this year in a different deal, designed to help the Devils immediately.

Agree that this upcoming season is a bit “now or never” for Boqvist.  I’m guess he gets a two-year, low-cost “OK kid let’s see what you really are” deal.

Both Sharangovich and Boquist are really the only forwards that are huge question marks for me. 

I was really thinking Sharangovich would break out last year with 30 and he had a rough start that kept going scoreless and scoreless.  

I think Boquist had progession this year compared to last and basically won Ruff over between he and Shar. Boqi spent way more time with Palat and Haula than Shar did, especially down the stretch. 

I don't think Sher had a regression this year. I think he was the same and just wasn't good enough in a lot of the games he saw time in this year and while the team was elevating their game and getting better as the year went on, Sher was still kind of bleh when he saw ice. It's a red flag if Sher played more games, but he really just didn't play down the stretch.  

I'm still on the Sharangovich bandwagon, but this next season (if he's brought back) it's really time to settle into a role and really dominate that role. I don't see him here much longer if he's kind of stuck. He has all the tools to play anywhere in the lineup. He's 6'2" and has a long reach that helps him defensively and helps him a lot in board battles and coming away with pucks. He does have a hard wrist shot, good hands and he's good in the o-zone in terms of cycle game and tends to make the right decisions. If you can get a second round pick for him, you just take it. At this point I'm hoping he still has an NHL career, even if it's not in NJ. We'll see, there's always room to be made if he comes in way improved and forces Ruff to play him over Boquist. I think one of them will stick with Palat-Haula and find a little home there, but then you also have to consider that Holtz is gunning for that spot as well, so it's just good competition lined up for those spots. 

If both are re-signed, I think both are on the roster next year, but barring any injuries, they are probably both the 12th and 13th forwards again. Maybe Boquist and Sher will get show-me deals and will sign cheap. 

Edited by RizzMB30

I am definitely on board to give Yegor another chance this season, because I still think he can be a useful player. As others have said, it may just require him to reinvent his game a bit. He is a physically strong kid, and I think he can develop the physicality in his game some more. With the skill set he uses on the PK, I could see him finding a way to be a bottom six player with scoring touch. It won't happen overnight of course, but lots of players are successfully able to change their style of play.

I also find it interesting that he was undoubtedly one of the best/most consistent shooters on the team, and he never made it to the power play. This is a power play that had a virtually useless second unit for stretches of the season. It makes me wonder if the coaches see glaring limitations to his game that aren't as apparent to me.

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Miles Wood rumored to the Islanders…I guess Lou was first trying to get Miles’ dad Randy to come back to the Isles, before deciding to potentially pivot to his kid? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Miles Wood rumored to the Islanders…I guess Lou was first trying to get Miles’ dad Randy to come back to the Isles, before deciding to potentially pivot to his kid? 

Wood going there makes sense, because Lou drafted him and Lou is pretty much senile at this point.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Wood going there makes sense, because Lou drafted him and Lou is pretty much senile at this point.

As a Devils fan, I greatly appreciate everything Lou did in helping the Devils win three Cups and reach five SCFs overall…no matter how rough it got at the end.

If I’m an Islanders fan, I see a GM who inherited some good young talent, has done very little to augment it, canned the one guy in Trotz whose hiring was by far and away Lou’s single best Islander move, and doesn’t really seem to have much of a plan.  It truly feels like the game has fully passed him by at this point.  It’s sad to see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As a Devils fan, I greatly appreciate everything Lou did in helping the Devils win three Cups and reach five SCFs overall…no matter how rough it got at the end.

If I’m an Islanders fan, I see a GM who inherited some good young talent, has done very little to augment it, canned the one guy in Trotz whose hiring was by far and away Lou’s single best Islander move, and doesn’t really seem to have much of a plan.  It truly feels like the game has fully passed him by at this point.  It’s sad to see.

Yep. And everyone knows it but him. And the Islanders’ owners, apparently. 

23 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I thought Woody to Isles all along. Decent size, fast, & physical. A lou kinda guy. Lou doesn't have many picks, it might be in next years draft.

On 6/19/2023 at 11:34 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sharangovich (5th-rounder BTW) needs to do that soon…define what he is.  He has a nice shot but if he’s not generating many SOG there’s not much point to him playing top line minutes.

I hope Boqvist proves me wrong, I want him to succeed.  (playing up & down the line up) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yep. And everyone knows it but him. And the Islanders’ owners, apparently. 

I mean, $8.5 million AAV for what will amount to Bo Horvat’s Age 28 - 35 seasons?  Is any Islander fan terribly excited about that?!  The money’s even spread out evenly…if it was front-loaded, maybe it would have been easier to move years down the line.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vincois said:

I hope Boqvist proves me wrong, I want him to succeed.  (playing up & down the line up) 

For sure, Devils are going to need cheap kids to succeed in the “supporting cast” roles.  They’re not going to have the money to try to sign those guys via UFA. 

• Like 1

https://www.nhl.com/news/zach-kassian-patrik-nemeth-bought-out-by-arizona-coyotes/c-344944026|

Zack Kassian is available for the "muh grit, muh sandpaper" guys. 

I hate him but he does play "playoff" hockey. He's not Tom Wilson, but he's a guy if we want that. 

I think he made EDM and VAN tought teams to play against. I don't know or think he did them any favors defensively, but I could be wrong. He's 32, meh. 

Edited by RizzMB30

7 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/zach-kassian-patrik-nemeth-bought-out-by-arizona-coyotes/c-344944026|

Zack Kassian is available for the "muh grit, muh sandpaper" guys. 

I hate him but he does play "playoff" hockey. He's not Tom Wilson, but he's a guy if we want that. 

I think he made EDM and VAN tought teams to play against. I don't know or think he did them any favors defensively, but I could be wrong. He's 32, meh. 

IMG_2448.gif