The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

10 minutes ago, moustic said:

I do agree that Helle is tricky to add in our salary and doesn't suit the youth movement that Fitz start years ago... But in same time, i haven't the same amount of faith in Schmid that you have. Little bit more in VV in regular season 
How many time a "one time wonder" goalie struggle after one or two miracle runs ? 

He is still young yes but ... i'm not sold yet

I don’t know about Schmid yet either, but I’m willing to at least give him a good look next season.  I just don’t see the need to add what figures to be a massive cap hit for a guy who may not have many prime years left.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don’t know about Schmid yet either, but I’m willing to at least give him a good look next season.  I just don’t see the need to add what figures to be a massive cap hit for a guy who may not have many prime years left.  

That i agree without problem indeed! 

5 hours ago, vincois said:

Hellebuyck, Debrincat, & PLD are not coming to NJ.  After Timo is signed Fitz will have about 17 mil to sign Haula, Bastian, McCleod, Yegor (if he's not traded) a vet D man, a vet Goalie. AND maybe more depth in Domi or Compher? 

NJ is a desirable destination these days (thank god) with enviable cap space. So we'll hear all the shiny objects we have "interest" in. IMO, all 31 teams wish they were in our position.

Was anyone linking PLD here? He's a center, the last thing NJ needs. I just didn't hear anyone saying that there was interest there.

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

What an absolute crock of sh!t the HHOF has become. 

The fact Lundquist is in year one of eli and those two are left out is a complete joke. Mogilny should be in just for what he did in leaving Russia and the path he blazed for many others to come too. 

And yeah, for that price, I'll pass on Hellbuyck. When half the time your need to have an elite goalie and the other half the time, non-elite goalies are winning Cups regularly (See Hill, Kuemper, . Spending 9million on a guy who hasn't really won much. He doesn't have cups or a history of high end performances in the playoffs where he put the team on his back. Maybe someone who has followed him closer will be able to say more, b

I love goalies and played goalie for a while, but the inherent inconsistency of the stats at the position make them impossible to gauge their value. 8-9 million is reserved for top 5 goalies in the league. I don't know if I consider Hellebuyck a top 5. Their stats are a mirror reflection of how well good or bad your team defense is, so I think with goalies those advanced stats are much more important in gauging them. 

As many of you have stated, the problem is we have solid and affordable options for our starter and backup and I truly believe that one rough go at playoffs does not warrant a change when it comes to VV. I don't know how much an upgrade over VV Hellbuyck really is. I don't believe that margin between them is as wide as the Jets want everyone to believe. 

I think Fitz is probably seeing the same issue we are seeing. We'd like to go for an upgrade, but I don't think we can really afford that price tag and there could be cheaper options. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No…Stone was traded and THEN signed a deal with Vegas.  Seves and Tkachuk signed deals with the teams who still owned their exclusive negotiating rights and then were moved; hence “Sign (first) and trade (after having a new contract already in place)”

In the case of Seves, this arrangement allowed for a UFA to get an 8-year deal that he couldn’t have gotten on the open market…I’m obviously surprised that Columbus was THAT high on him to want to give him a max term, but they wanted him badly enough to go that far.  

20 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

He's insane. Total playoff choker not worth half of 9.5 mil

Also this second ever sign and trade thing is nonsense. Happened many times before, like Stone in Vegas for instance 

I believe Fitz said that the old CBA allowed for negotiating a players rights and you would offer a late round pick to them and literally trade the rights away. 

He followed up with you can't do that anymore with the current CBA so the sign and trade allows the team who is getting the player to negotiate with them regarding a contract, which is what happened. Fitz didn't sign Severson to that deal really, he just agreed upon what CBJ and Seves negotiated and agreed to trade the contract. It just shows that luckily there was a lot of interest and at least something got done. 

I really like that rule regarding the original team of the player is the only one that can go eight years when trying to retain the rights. 

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

The fact Lundquist is in year one of eli and those two are left out is a complete joke. 

It’s really not.

I think people are letting their hatred for the Rags get in the way a little too much with takes like this. Hank was an absolutely fantastic goalie for pretty much his entire career. When you’re one of the very best players in the world at your position for as long as he was that’s 1st ballot HoF all day. 

I have no problem with saying he should go in before a couple guys that just barely cracked 1k points for their careers. And just to be clear I love Patty as much as anyone, and I think he should eventually get in, but if we’re being objective this is not at all surprising or unwarranted. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

I believe Fitz said that the old CBA allowed for negotiating a players rights and you would offer a late round pick to them and literally trade the rights away. 

He followed up with you can't do that anymore with the current CBA so the sign and trade allows the team who is getting the player to negotiate with them regarding a contract, which is what happened. Fitz didn't sign Severson to that deal really, he just agreed upon what CBJ and Seves negotiated and agreed to trade the contract. It just shows that luckily there was a lot of interest and at least something got done. 

I really like that rule regarding the original team of the player is the only one that can go eight years when trying to retain the rights. 

I get the feeling we’re going to start seeing more of this…teams trying to “jump” the UFA market by being willing to give up some sort of compensation, in exchange for having that player’s team sign the player to whatever term and AAV that player and his new team agrees to…and of course, it’s the only way to sign another team’s UFA to eight years.

What will be interesting to see is how far will a team eventually be willing to go to try to beat everyone else to the punch?  Does some team down the line go so far as to cough up a first if it means they can sign a pricey top-tier UFA to a max term?  

11 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

The fact Lundquist is in year one of eli and those two are left out is a complete joke. Mogilny should be in just for what he did in leaving Russia and the path he blazed for many others to come too. 

Patty and Mogilny definitely deserve to be in over other players who have gotten in through the last few years, but Hank is a first ballot HOF'er without a shred of a doubt.  The guy was an absolutely elite goalie for his entire career, there were no real stretches of mediocrity WITH HIM.  The Ranger's teams that played in front of him completely wasted his talent and career. 

• Like 2

I have absolutely no interest in Hellebuyck or PLD from Winnipeg but if Blake Wheeler gets bought out, I wouldn't be opposed to a short term deal for him.   He might be desperate to try and win in the few years he has left.  He's big and nasty and maybe he can spend his time setting up some combo of Haula, Palat and Holtz on a really good third line.    

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/06/22/wheelers-long-productive-stint-in-winnipeg-nearing-end

Edited by Lateralous
  • EvilHeart 1

29 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I have absolutely no interest in Hellebuyck or PLD from Winnipeg but if Blake Wheeler gets bought out, I wouldn't be opposed to a short term deal for him.   He might be desperate to try and win in the few years he has left.  He's big and nasty and maybe he can spend his time setting up some combo of Haula, Palat and Holtz on a really good third line.    

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/06/22/wheelers-long-productive-stint-in-winnipeg-nearing-end

My pause with wheeler is that he has a toxic reputationand Fitz has been clear about trying to build a really tight family atmosphere with this team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

My pause with wheeler is that he has a toxic reputationand Fitz has been clear about trying to build a really tight family atmosphere with this team.

That's certainly something Fitz would have to investigate but that article makes it sound like he was good in the community and at some point the Jets thought highly enough of him to make him captain. The biggest issue seems to be that the players still considered him the unofficial captain after having the actual C stripped away before the season.   I feel like the Jets are just a huge dysfunctional mess in general that goes beyond any single player. 

Besides, how toxic can you possibly be if you're the outsider coming to a successful team like Jersey on a short term deal right after getting humbled with a buy out?