The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Who the hell is Erik kalligren… I’ve been saying this a lot here lately 

Depth lol

His stats look decidedly average, 3.57 GAA in the AHL last year ( Schmid 2.62 (NHL 2.13)  and Daws 2.52) . He was on a decent team as well. 

13 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Only 1 year for McLeod?   I guess they are protecting themselves against anything that might come out in the Team Canada investigation?   

There seems to be a general consensus that there will be more one year deals as the cap is staying flat. And then people going for longer deals next year when it goes up quite a bit. 

Maybe seen that with players like Duchene getting one year from Dallas. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

There seems to be a general consensus that there will be more one year deals as the cap is staying flat. And then people going for longer deals next year when it goes up quite a bit. 

Miles Wood says hello here

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

This roster is mostly set now, I bet all the AHL guys are groaning, no where to go.

I think the AHL guys still have a chance to get looks during the season and a chance to make the roster next year.  Toffoli and Miller only have one year left on their contracts.  This gives the Devils and the AHLers another year of seasoning.  I feel great about this team for the next 10 years.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I think the AHL guys still have a chance to get looks during the season and a chance to make the roster next year.  Toffoli and Miller only have one year left on their contracts.  This gives the Devils and the AHLers another year of seasoning.  I feel great about this team for the next 10 years.

The hope is that Holtz will be ready to slot in for Toffoli next season I’m sure.  Hope it works out that way.  Monster year for Holtz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

He even said he’s betting on himself this season

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Yeah no idea what the fvck is going on there. I can't imagine there were teams falling over themselves for him. 

That’s always the question that I ask when I see a guy like Miles get 6 years…who were they bidding against?!

And on this note…I can’t think of a single WTF moment that Fitz has had this offseason…not one.  But man it sure feels like a lot of other teams have had them.

One thing I think that we’ve learned about Fitz…he’d rather not make a move at all, then make a “Guess I gotta do something” kind of move for the sake of backpage fodder and/or to placate fans whose patience might be wearing thin.  He had cap space that he refused to spend until the time was right…he was willing to take the barbs and ownership was willing to withstand the digs taken about them being cheap and unwilling to spend much beyond the cap floor.

It was obviously very hard at times to deal with and we all lost our collective sh!t at various points throughout this process, but the Devils are in as favorable of a position as anyone could possibly ask.  They preached patience and it’s paying off.  Kudos to all.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Really happy to have McLeod and Bastian back. A shame that d market is already raided. 

For instance, the Justin Holl contract at ten mill in Detroit is brilliant. Stevie Y really knows this league

He also gave Compher a horrible deal. 

3 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Only 1 year for McLeod?   I guess they are protecting themselves against anything that might come out in the Team Canada investigation?   

I would have given him 2-3 years at up to 2.2-2.3 million a year if he wanted more term than just 1 year. 

Maybe Fitz said something along the lines if McLeod repeats what he did last year, maybe he gets that 2-3 year and at least 2 million a year. 

Re: team canada. If the Team Canada investigation becomes an actual problem at any point, the Devils can just release/fire him, no matter how long his contract goes. I'm sure McLeod loves getting questions about that situation when he just signed a shiny new contract, but media is going to media. 

He could win the fvcking Stanley Cup and some jerk off will come up to him and say, "But, but but Michael, don't you think the unresolved Team Canada charges against your name tarnish this achievement?" I thought I remember somewhere that the main culprit wasn't re-signed in OTT and bolted for Europe. 

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I guess that could be but we just gave Bastian 2 years on the same day we handed McLeod 1.  Coming off a playoff season where he was probably one of our 5-6 best forwards for a month I have to assume this has something to do with protection against the whatever comes from the investigation that NHL said they would make public this summer.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I would have given him 2-3 years at up to 2.2-2.3 million a year if he wanted more term than just 1 year. 

Maybe Fitz said something along the lines if McLeod repeats what he did last year, maybe he gets that 2-3 year and at least 2 million a year. 

Re: team canada. If the Team Canada investigation becomes an actual problem at any point, the Devils can just release/fire him, no matter how long his contract goes. I'm sure McLeod loves getting questions about that situation when he just signed a shiny new contract, but media is going to media. 

He could win the fvcking Stanley Cup and some jerk off will come up to him and say, "But, but but Michael, don't you think the unresolved Team Canada charges against your name tarnish this achievement?" I thought I remember somewhere that the main culprit wasn't re-signed in OTT and bolted for Europe. 

I agree with a lot of what you said except the end.   My understanding is that the NHL has conducted some sort of investigation and will be making the results public in the next month or so.   Assuming it’s a legit effort at getting to the truth, it should be resolved and not be just some rumor that follows McLeod around forever.   

Yeah, the main guy involved was left unsigned 

17 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I agree with a lot of what you said except the end.   My understanding is that the NHL has conducted some sort of investigation and will be making the results public in the next month or so.   Assuming it’s a legit effort at getting to the truth, it should be resolved and not be just some rumor that follows McLeod around forever.   

Yeah, the main guy involved was left unsigned 

Yeah, I just want it to be over for the player.

5 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Miles Wood for 2.5 is affordable. I wouldn't have given him 6 years still. That's affordable and if he chips in more than 10 goals every year, it's okay value. 

The hit itself isn’t terrible.  Term definitely is.

He’ll score 10+ per 82 GP, but the bigger question is can he ever stop committing those idiotic and costly penalties?  He comes with a lot of warts.  And heaven forbid if he ever loses a step.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I guess that could be but we just gave Bastian 2 years on the same day we handed McLeod 1.  Coming off a playoff season where he was probably one of our 5-6 best forwards for a month I have to assume this has something to do with protection against the whatever comes from the investigation that NHL said they would make public this summer.   

I don’t think Fitz would have signed McLeod if the investigation found any wrong doing by McLeod.  Fitz seems like the GM that would stay clear of controversy and embarrassment.

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That’s always the question that I ask when I see a guy like Miles get 6 years…who were they bidding against?!

And on this note…I can’t think of a single WTF moment that Fitz has had this offseason…not one.  But man it sure feels like a lot of other teams have had them.

One thing I think that we’ve learned about Fitz…he’d rather not make a move at all, then make a “Guess I gotta do something” kind of move for the sake of backpage fodder and/or to placate fans whose patience might be wearing thin.  He had cap space that he refused to spend until the time was right…he was willing to take the barbs and ownership was willing to withstand the digs taken about them being cheap and unwilling to spend much beyond the cap floor.

It was obviously very hard at times to deal with and we all lost our collective sh!t at various points throughout this process, but the Devils are in as favorable of a position as anyone could possibly ask.  They preached patience and it’s paying off.  Kudos to all.

Yeah, Fitz has been great.  I just took a look at cap friendly and he still has 5.6m in cap space with only Bahl and one forward to sign unless he believes Foote or another player can step in a bottom 6 role.  I’m comfortable with a VV/Akira tandem.  What makes all the moves even better, is he still has all three first round picks for the next three years, all but three picks for the next three years and an extra 5th next year.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

Yeah, Fitz has been great.  I just took a look at cap friendly and he still has 5.6m in cap space with only Bahl and one forward to sign unless he believes Foote or another player can step in a bottom 6 role.  I’m comfortable with a VV/Akira tandem.  What makes all the moves even better, is he still has all three first round picks for the next three years, all but three picks for the next three years and an extra 5th next year.  

Fitz can still lose a first-rounder…if the Devils reach the 2024 ECF, the 2024 2nd-rounder originally slotted to go to San Jose becomes a 2024 1st.  But yeah, still a good amount of picks to work with for sure.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4