The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

32 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

You guys think there’s any chance we kick the tires on bringing parise back in a one year deal? Nice bottoms six role for him?

He only wants to play for the Isles if he keeps playing, but I don’t want him anyway.

49 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

You guys think there’s any chance we kick the tires on bringing parise back in a one year deal? Nice bottoms six role for him?

Hell no. This team is built around speed. 

53 minutes ago, HughesCorporation said:

If anything we need some size and toughness, not a goon but a big body that knows how to check, not another small forward

My son was hoping the Devils could pick up Hathaway.  But I think we can find someone like that around the trade deadline if we need it.  Maybe Lazar can fill that role even though he brings no Offense.

• Like 1

Was looking at the Bertuzzi signing. He had 10 points through their 7 games in playoffs. 30 points in 50 games. 

I'm surprised Bertuzzi didn't get a little more term. He's not Matthew Tkachuk, maybe more Tkachuk-lite who gets hurts too often. Surprised to see the Leafs get him too with their cap, but hey, things are moving around and FA is fun. 

He just strikes me as a guy the Rangers would have been falling over themselves to give him 5 million x 6 years. I want to know who else was in on him. 

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Hell no. This team is built around speed. 

This look like speed? 

Man, he looks like he's going to fit in fine as long as he can keep up with the team's speed. He looks like he has some breakaway speed at least and can create a little separation. Just from these highlights, it looks like he's a great rush player and you need to be quick for that. Scores a lot of goals off the rush and plays that kind of game. 

Weird to not have much reason to hit refresh anymore...and it will be that way for quite some time.  The core is just about all locked up.  The only guy really left to sign is Bahl.  Maybe Fitz adds one more outside piece at forward, but I get the feeling any reinforcements will initially come from within.  As much as some people are trying to make Connor Hellebuyck a thing, I don't think it is...yes, on paper, if VV is going back the other way, the Devils can fit him in for this season...but with other kids to sign it just gets really hard to fathom that Fitz would ever want to commit to him beyond next season.

Guess Dawson could be offered an extension, but unless he's THAT committed to the Devils that he'd want to sign for 4-6 years at what could be well-below market value if he continues to improve, I don't see much of a motivation by his camp to push for an extension right this second.  He should play out his contract, see where the cap goes, and then Fitz can try to figure it out.

Not that this is a major worry, but here's the UFAs for next offseason:  Toffoli, Miller, and Smith.  I suspect all will be gone, due to cap crunch; that's $7.2 million coming off the books.  Also Schneider and Kuokkanen's combined $2.325 million dead-money hit coming off.  So over $9.5 million freed up...FWIW Capfriendly lists the Devils with $22.7 million in projected cap space for next season, but gotta see what Bahl signs for.  They're also currently a forward short (11 under contract with the big club right now), but remains to be seen if that new forward will have years coming beyond 2023-24.

The RFAs:  Mercer, McLeod, and Schmid.  Probably looking at $15 million minimum combined for them, obviously more if Schmid builds off last season.  Not dire, as long as the cap continues to go up, but still have to be cautious when it comes to additional long-term deals.  Don't see Fitz getting himself into serious trouble though...he just seems to have a phenomenally strong handle on his cap.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Was looking at the Bertuzzi signing. He had 10 points through their 7 games in playoffs. 30 points in 50 games. 

I'm surprised Bertuzzi didn't get a little more term. He's not Matthew Tkachuk, maybe more Tkachuk-lite who gets hurts too often. Surprised to see the Leafs get him too with their cap, but hey, things are moving around and FA is fun. 

He just strikes me as a guy the Rangers would have been falling over themselves to give him 5 million x 6 years. I want to know who else was in on him. 

I thought he would get a long term deal too, but I imagine he will have a monster season in the Leafs' top 6, and then cash in next offseason.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ryan had a couple of odd takes...wondered aloud if Fitz could've gotten more for Reilly Walsh, or a pick for Boqvist.  Geez man, is Fitz now supposed to hit home runs every single time he makes a move?  Walsh is a 24-year-old who couldn't crack a Devils D that most definitely had openings while he was here...if he had shown enough, he would've been given a shot. 

Boqvist is going to turn 25 just after the season starts but nothing about him really excites anyone...so Fitz somehow didn't nab a 7th rounder for him?  Oh well.  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ryan had a couple of odd takes...wondered aloud if Fitz could've gotten more for Reilly Walsh, or a pick for Boqvist.  Geez man, is Fitz now supposed to hit home runs every single time he makes a move?  Walsh is a 24-year-old who couldn't crack a Devils D that mostly definitely had openings while he was here...if he had shown enough, he would've been given a shot. 

Boqvist is going to turn 25 just after the season starts but nothing about him really excites anyone...so Fitz somehow didn't nab a 7th rounder for him?  Oh well.  

Dude can be very negative when it comes to the Devils. He kind of rubs me the wrong way at times tbh. 

41 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Dude can be very negative when it comes to the Devils. He kind of rubs me the wrong way at times tbh. 

I haven't read a ton of his stuff, so this is the first time I really noticed it.  Those Walsh/Boqvist takes were really absurd...does he really think that Fitz didn't consider those angles?  The friggin' guy has dotted every possible "i" and crossed every last "t" during this offseason.  He's been about as thorough as a GM can be...he even snagged a third-rounder for a guy who could easily have left for NOTHING and was able to flip it as part of a trade for a guy everyone would agree makes for a perfect stopgap.  There's no such thing as perfection, but Jesus H, as far as offseasons go, I have absolutely NO idea how much better Fitz could have possibly done.  Even with the money he doled out, he STILL will have considerable flexibility next year.

Novozinsky just came across as way too nitpicky and needlessly critical here.  If I'm Fitz I'd almost want to say, "OK writer boy, you run the team for a while.  Let's see how easy it is."

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, vincois said:

Big body-physical, can pop in a few here & there. Great pilon on PP Nick Richie

Did the Devils get him?  Or this is someone you'd like to see Fitz pick up?

Kind of a vague post, not really sure what you were going for here. 

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

A 2 hour 32 thoughts special for the end of the season and they managed to talk about NJD for maybe 2 or 3 min.

Ridiculous. 3rd best team in the league, and 3 finalists for major awards. They’re relevant again whether people like it or not. 

If you want to feel good about the state of the Devils, there’s a SDP podcast from last week where they are mesmerized by how well the Devils have managed the cap.  I think it’s the one titled “Deville”

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1