The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

15 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Yeah but I don't think Fitz should ever even mention being interested in re-signing him during any negotiation, just what we are willing to pay for the one remaining year on Hellebuyck's current deal.   Obviously Chevy will come back and say they want an additional asset if he re-signs beyond this year but I don't think that can be anything other than a pick attached to the condition.       

The specific scenario that I was thinking of was something along the lines of "If we can agree to an extension with Helle prior to a trade, we'll give you Mercer."  Basically, the deal would be Mercer for 5 years of Helle at a locked-in cost...no chance of him leaving after just one season.  And like I said, I wouldn't really feel good about doing that, mostly due to Helle's age.  Devils would be signing up for his Age 30-34 seasons...I'd be nervous and wary.  All I'm really doing is wondering aloud (on a slow news day) about how Fitz would try to make Helle happen in either a one-year rental or a multi-year extension scenario, and what that might entail, in terms of cap considerations, and compensation going back the other way.  I still think it's more of a "writers trying to tie the Devils to a bigger name goalie" thing than Fitz being uber-active in trying to bring one in.  But being the good GM that he's been, I think if Helle's rental price drops to a certain level, Fitz will absolutely kick the tires on acquiring him.  

Are conditional picks still allowed, when it comes to "If this player re-signs, we'll give you something additional" scenarios?  I wanna say those are no more.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Are conditional picks still allowed, when it comes to "If this player re-signs, we'll give you something additional" scenarios?  I wanna say those are no more.  

Hmm, I have no idea.

I think we are in agreement that we ought to wait and see what we have in Schmid before committing long term to a goalie, especially a 30 year old.   The only way any of this makes sense to me is Fitz tells them "we are interested in Hellebuyck as a rental, here's our price, call me in August if you get to the point you want to do it."     

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Hmm, I have no idea.

I think we are in agreement that we ought to wait and see what we have in Schmid before committing long term to a goalie, especially a 30 year old.   The only way any of this make sense to me is Fitz tells them "we are interested in Hellebuyck as a rental, here's our price, call me in August if you get to the point you want to do it."     

Oh completely, re:  the bolded...we're in complete agreement!  Especially with the Devils appearing to be at the beginning of a competitive window.  If they were roughly halfway through such a window (or on the back end) and goaltending was clearly an issue, then maybe then I roll the dice on a Helle-type.  But yeah, this feels much more like a potential one-year luxury than some major necessity at this point.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

It's a shame...feels like in the end, there's probably not going to be much room for him here...guess it depends upon how long he plans on staying at Michigan.  If he did stay for all four years, then suddenly Dougie only has a couple of seasons left on his deal (he'll be entering his Age 33 season) by the time Casey would conceivably sign his ELC with the Devils.  Of course Casey doesn't bring anywhere near Dougie's size, so not like he's a direct replacement, but hard to imagine Fitz won't start looking for ways to get Hamilton's hit off the Devils' books around that time (especially since Luke and Nemec could be inked to nice deals of their own by then).  Obviously questions that won't be answered today.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

One year @ $775k for Boqvist.  Not a bad “why not?” deal for the Bruins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One year @ $775k for Boqvist.  Not a bad “why not?” deal for the Bruins.

I felt we could have afforded one more year for depth and at that price. I think Fitz was worried that he would go to arbitration, but I can't see that he would get awarded that much. 

Maybe more pressure on Holtz this year. Less established players looking for his spot. All the guys that would slot in on the 3rd line RW are gone. Shango, Boquist. I think the last round of depth players from our prospect pool who haven't graduated yet are going to take big steps and surprise. I figured one of Holtz, Shango, or Boquist would slot in behind Toffoli on the 3rd line RW, but at this point it's looking like a Utica graduate might get that spot, maybe one of Clarke, Foote, or Holtz, or some training camp surprise. 

Yeah in the end it kinda felt like Boqvist’s (it’s Boqvist, not Boquist) time here just ran its course.  Agree, I can see one of the Utes getting a look.  

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's a shame...feels like in the end, there's probably not going to be much room for him here...guess it depends upon how long he plans on staying at Michigan.  If he did stay for all four years, then suddenly Dougie only has a couple of seasons left on his deal (he'll be entering his Age 33 season) by the time Casey would conceivably sign his ELC with the Devils.  Of course Casey doesn't bring anywhere near Dougie's size, so not like he's a direct replacement, but hard to imagine Fitz won't start looking for ways to get Hamilton's hit off the Devils' books around that time (especially since Luke and Nemec could be inked to nice deals of their own by then).  Obviously questions that won't be answered today.

If we will deleop him in NCAA for some years and AHL in some year, than it`s not a big problem. Plus we din`t know where he find himself  - in defense or in offense. He is very good prospect to think that we will not find a plcae for him somewhere if the task will be to find a plcae for Casey.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

This pretty much confirms what I think we all suspected:  Luke is here to stay, and Simon is going to have to more or less completely wow everyone to have any chance at all to start this season with the big club.  I’m guessing the earliest that he’ll get his first callup will be December.  There’s a reason Fitz brought in Miller…the Devils are going to be very patient here and I’m ok with that.

The Devils are in a unique position…they turned the corner so sharply that they don’t have to throw their 2OA pick right to the wolves, the way so many other teams do.  Put Nemec on another team, he might be getting a look whether he’s ready or not, out of pure necessity.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah looks like Foote is here to stay. 

Maybe not a lock to stay, but definitely has the inside track on a bottom-6 spot...Fitz seems to believe in him.  Good for him if he can seize it...I'll be the first to admit, I didn't really think that he was going to figure in the Devils' plans.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Maybe not a lock to stay, but definitely has the inside track on a bottom-6 spot...Fitz seems to believe in him.  Good for him if he can seize it...I'll be the first to admit, I didn't really think that he was going to figure in the Devils' plans.  

I always thought if he could improve his skating to just be average that he brought a lot of elements (physicality, shot) to be a useful depth piece for us. He’ll be a good replacement for Wood, albeit much slower but much smarter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is just so strange to me. I of course want Foote to succeed here, but what has he done recently to warrant these comments from Fitz? It's not like he had some monster season in Utica. Holtz performed better in his limited time there. Somehow Foote has put himself in a position to play in the NHL full time, while Holtz is being told this is a make or break year for him? Doesn't make a ton of sense.

Just now, nessus said:

This is just so strange to me. I of course want Foote to succeed here, but what has he done recently to warrant these comments from Fitz? It's not like he had some monster season in Utica. Holtz performed better in his limited time there. Somehow Foote has put himself in a position to play in the NHL full time, while Holtz is being told this is a make or break year for him? Doesn't make a ton of sense.

I think it comes down to the fact that Foote is a bottom six guy. Holtz is a first round pick who is eventually expected to be a top six guy. The expectations are different, and their roles are different. Foote is essentially gonna be replacing Wood. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nessus said:

MD2020 touched on it...two very different players being asked to do two very different things.  Foote will hopefully approximate Wood's numbers but be a lot less dopey when it comes to penalties.  Right now the Devils have 11 forwards under contract with the big club and there's a Bottom-6 opening.  Giving Foote a shot there makes perfect sense.

Tatar was supposed to be a two-year stopgap until Holtz was ready to go...now Toffoli will be provide the Devils with one more stopgap year.  I think the plan remains the same for Holtz:  get him playing time and all the minutes that he can handle in the AHL this year, with as much attention as possible being paid to improving upon the deficiencies in his game.  Right now at the NHL level he can't really do much else other than launch a laser-beam on net when he happens to be wide-open...which hasn't happened much because he's not particularly fast and hasn't shown much of an ability to create space for himself.

Basically, I think if all goes according to plan, the Devils thank Toffoli for one good season, let him walk, and Holtz comes into 2024-25 with a job to lose, and nothing left to prove (as more of an all-around player) in Utica.  

• Like 1