The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

10 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Will always crack me up how youngins like Jack all look like any other 18-21 year old...you'd never know that this funny happy goofy kid is well on his way to becoming one of the best players in the NHL.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And not to harp on Pitt too much, but they got 93 points out of Crosby last season, and 83 points out of Malkin...and neither one missed a game.  And they STILL missed the playoffs.  Can they realistically expect the same offense and same lack of games missed from a 36-year-old Crosby and a 37-year-old Malkin?  They combined for 110 GP the season prior.  

It's a lot to ask of an older team. 

10 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Heh heh the author spelled “Toffoli” “DeFoley”.  

2 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

It's a lot to ask of an older team. 

I don’t mind them going in that direction one bit because a move like Karlsson isn’t going to make them much better.  Last year they scored a fair bit and also gave up a fair bit.  Now they’ll score a fair bit + a little more and give up a fair bit + a little more.  For the next couple of years that’s a team that can beat you in the regular season if you come in tired against them (especially if they’re rested), or you’re off your game, but that’s a team the Devils should be able to handle.  

And the gap will only become more pronounced as their top players continue to age…and then will come their lean years while the Devils should be right in the thick of their window.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Looks like wherever he goes, it's going to be for a relative pennies.  Guess GMs still remember 2020-21 and 2021-22 well enough to not want to commit much, despite him having a pretty nice year last season.

If it falls apart for Pittsburgh sooner than later, Tatar would be a guy they could squeeze a draft pick out of, at or near the deadline.

And not to harp on Pitt too much, but they got 93 points out of Crosby last season, and 83 points out of Malkin...and neither one missed a game.  And they STILL missed the playoffs.  Can they realistically expect the same offense and same lack of games missed from a 36-year-old Crosby and a 37-year-old Malkin?  They combined for 110 GP the season prior.  

They're kind of banking that with Karlsson, they will be able to outscore most teams. I'm not so sure. 

Have to see what their depth and secondary scoring will look like this year. That's what really failed them last season. Bottom six guys like Jeff Carter had awful seasons. I think the Penguins coaching staff like to score early and then kind of sit back and play shutdown. Graves and Petterson are going to be relied on heavily again to keep pucks out of the net. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/penguins 

Look at all the NMCS!?! Lmao! Sidebar.

Okay, after Graves-Letang, you'll have Petterson-Karlsson. So yeah, good top 4 who you hope that Graves and Petterson can offset the deficiencies of the more offensive partner they'll play with. 

Then the 3rd pairing is some combination of P-O Joseph, Ty Smith, and Chad Ruhwedel. 

Frankly, I don't think this defense will get you over the hump. They are still a maybe I think. Their entire season rests on Jarry, Graves, and Petterson staying relatively healthy and the depth players that have been brought in such as Smith, Eller, Acciari, Pitlick, O'Connor.

9 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

They're kind of banking that with Karlsson, they will be able to outscore most teams. I'm not so sure. 

Have to see what their depth and secondary scoring will look like this year. That's what really failed them last season. Bottom six guys like Jeff Carter had awful seasons. I think the Penguins coaching staff like to score early and then kind of sit back and play shutdown. Graves and Petterson are going to be relied on heavily again to keep pucks out of the net. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/penguins 

Look at all the NMCS!?! Lmao! Sidebar.

Okay, after Graves-Letang, you'll have Petterson-Karlsson. So yeah, good top 4 who you hope that Graves and Petterson can offset the deficiencies of the more offensive partner they'll play with. 

Then the 3rd pairing is some combination of P-O Joseph, Ty Smith, and Chad Ruhwedel. 

Frankly, I don't think this defense will get you over the hump. They are still a maybe I think. Their entire season rests on Jarry, Graves, and Petterson staying relatively healthy and the depth players that have been brought in such as Smith, Eller, Acciari, Pitlick, O'Connor.

The Penguins haven't won a playoff series since 2018, but DuMbasS seems to think that this team is worthy of a show of faith...even if that were true, does he really believe that a guy in Karlsson whose presence will likely lead to as many goals against as it will for is the answer?!  I get that making this move did allow him to rid himself of some of the fallout from bad Hextall moves, but good lord...who sees the Penguins and thinks that team is equipped to make a legit run?  But they have Crosby and Malkin!  Yeah, both of them have been there the past five years, and only keep getting older.  If younger (and consistently productive) versions of those two weren't enough to get them over the top, now a flawed 33-year-old whose missed his fair share of games prior to the deal is going to be this major difference-maker?

Basically, it feels like a continuation of how DuMbasS did business in Toronto...just snag an expensive big name and throw him into the mix and hopefully somehow he'll singlehandedly overcome all of the shortcomings elsewhere.  I would've been more impressed if he made moves to make his team deeper and all-around better, instead of just going to the "obvious" big name.

But yeah, re:  your bolded, I think they'll score a little more and give up a little more...so maybe instead of scoring 261 and allowing 263, maybe this year they score somewhere around 275 and allow 275.  Their games will be entertaining because you'll see goals.  They'll have some nice comebacks.  They'll go on some nice runs when things are going their way.  But they won't be consistent, and by season's end, they'll have somewhere around 88-90 points.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moustic said:

So now that we have two Footes on the roster, should we refer to them both as Feete when they're on the ice together?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Wow that’s not an insignificant pickup. He was once a touted prospect and big part of the Tampa pipeline.

He'll turn 25 in December and his draft year was 2017.  We're a long way from expecting him to be much more than an "in case some other guys get hurt" depth player.

BUT, he's where he IS significant:  He's a RHD...I'm guessing that he was brought here as depth/insurance for the Comets, in case Nemec is able to fast-track himself onto the Devils' roster.  And as a guy who has some NHL experience, maybe can help with some of the kids down there. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He'll turn 25 in December and his draft year was 2017.  We're a long way from expecting him to be much more than an "in case some other guys get hurt" depth player.

BUT, he's where he IS significant:  He's a RHD...I'm guessing that he was brought here as depth/insurance for the Comets, in case Nemec is able to fast-track himself onto the Devils' roster.  And as a guy who has some NHL experience, maybe can help with some of the kids down there. 

Getting a good depth player with some tools for free is some tidy business by Fitz.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, devlman said:

Getting a good depth player with some tools for free is some tidy business by Fitz.

The more I look at this move, the more I love it...not because that I have any hope for Cal making any major contributions to the big club, but for the sheer amount of flexibility this move affords Fitz, for all matters Nemec.

If Nemec storms his way onto the big club, Cal can take a chunk of his minutes in Utica.

If Miller got hurt and Nemec doesn't seem to be quite ready (or heaven forbid was laid up with an injury himself), Cal can play with the Devils for a while.  He at least has some NHL experience (141 regular season games, as well as 13 playoff games), and not like he's been awful...Cal's main issue seems to be getting hurt.

For an $800k depth move, yeah, it's really a good one.  And it's great that Fitz has a TON of room to sign depth players...he still has nine more contract slots (out of 50) open.  Keep in mind that San Jose had to swap so many bodies with the Devils in the Meier deal because they had used up all of that flexibility.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The more I look at this move, the more I love it...not because that I have any hope for Cal making any major contributions to the big club, but for the sheer amount of flexibility this move affords Fitz, for all matters Nemec.

If Nemec storms his way onto the big club, Cal can take a chunk of his minutes in Utica.

If Miller got hurt and Nemec doesn't seem to be quite ready (or heaven forbid was laid up with an injury himself), Cal can play with the Devils for a while.  He at least has some NHL experience (141 regular season games, as well as 13 playoff games), and not like he's been awful...Cal's main issue seems to be getting hurt.

For an $800k depth move, yeah, it's really a good one.  And it's great that Fitz has a TON of room to sign depth players...he still has nine more contract slots (out of 50) open.  Keep in mind that San Jose had to swap so many bodies with the Devils in the Meier deal because they had used up all of that flexibility.  

This makes our defense corps super deep and internally competitive 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

This makes our defense corps super deep and internally competitive 

Five RHD now in the mix:

Hamilton

Marino

Miller

C Foote

Nemec

The top two are obviously untouchable...but yeah can get veeeeeeery interesting with Miller, Foote, and Nemec in preseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Five RHD now in the mix:

Hamilton

Marino

Miller

C Foote

Nemec

The top two are obviously untouchable...but yeah can get veeeeeeery interesting with Miller, Foote, and Nemec in preseason.

Teams that are THAT deep on the right side defense win championships. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/calgary-embracing-fresh-start-after-offseason-moves/c-345550664

Funny thing about Kadri…his numbers last year were 100% right in line with his overall career numbers…exactly right there, really.  It’s that 87-point season that he had with the Avs that was the real outlier.

2022-23:  82 GP, 24 G, 32 A

Career:  821 GP, 243 G, 325 A

Should the Flames really expect some major increase in production from him?  

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

So did I. He scored the GWG in game 6 in 2001. Crazy how sh!t works out lol

Yeah, seriously…imagine watching some guy scoring a painful double OT goal against your team that propels your hated rival into the SCF (which they go on to win), and then years later, your team drafts that guy’s fvcking son (who even has the same first name, though spelled differently), and said former first-rounder son goes on to be a big- time bust…

Oh fvck…that actually happened…

• Angry 2