The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

On 9/8/2023 at 2:49 AM, vincois said:

not sure Nolan Foote is going to make the big club. Never received much playing when he was up. Maybe we were behind in a game or whatever. If he doesn't make opening night roster Fitz might try to move him.  Lindy's going to expect physicality. 

There are three players for bottom six winger job - Holtz, Foote and Noesek. We don’t know how McLeod situation will effect on the starting roster. It’s not like Foote has hardest path to make a roster. If Holtz isn’t ready, he is number one to make a roster. Clarke is a poor version of Holtz mostly.

20 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Probably a huge reason we haven't seen Holtzy packaged up in some deal for Meier or Toffoli. 

I would bet if Seamus Casey is high on the list of players other teams ask Fitz about, I would wager that Holtz is still pretty high on that list. I wonder how many of these prospects Fitz says are untouchable when other teams come a calling. 

Holtz didn’t have enough value to be a key part in Meier trade, he had more value for Toffoli trade.

16 hours ago, Guadana said:

There are three players for bottom six winger job - Holtz, Foote and Noesek. We don’t know how McLeod situation will effect on the starting roster. It’s not like Foote has hardest path to make a roster. If Holtz isn’t ready, he is number one to make a roster. Clarke is a poor version of Holtz mostly.

To hear Fitz talk, he thinks highly of both Holtz & Foote. (said recently in interviews. I'm sure teams have asked for Holtz & Fitz shot it down.  All of us thought Holtz would end up on right side of Jack? Eventually maybe?

1 hour ago, vincois said:

To hear Fitz talk, he thinks highly of both Holtz & Foote. (said recently in interviews. I'm sure teams have asked for Holtz & Fitz shot it down.  All of us thought Holtz would end up on right side of Jack? Eventually maybe?

Holtz can't be the only guy drafted high that took a couple years to marinate in the AHL before finally cracking the NHL. I don't think we're anywhere close to writing him off yet. Last year was a massive error on Fitz's part, though. He took responsibility for it.

2 hours ago, vincois said:

In Holtz's case, I think some of that is trying to pump the kid up some, trying to boost his confidence...which I'm fine with.  The further that the Devils can help him leave 2022-23 firmly in the rearview, the better.

I don't think Fitz necessarily sees Holtz as completely untouchable...if the Devils establish themselves as a Cup contender that needs one more piece, and Fitz has a certain piece in mind and Holtz would be the cost...ultimately I think he'd do it.  But if Holtz can show something this season and appear to be firmly back on track to becoming a solid NHLer, suffice it to say that Tatar/Toffoli will have served their stopgap "keep the seat warm" purpose, and Holtz will have a real shot to win Top 6 minutes next season, right from the start of preseason.  

3 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

2 weeks til pre-season

1 month until Opening night

Will be nice to have some actual HOCKEY to talk about soon.

Some chatter that Tatar might soon be signing with a team in the East...guess we'll find out if there's anything to it.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Apparently his new agent represents a LOT of Isle's players

Supposedly that's the team that's in on him.  Sounds like a Lou 2023 move.

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

And a Lou 2022 move

And a Lou 2017 move

And a Lou 2012 move

And a Lou 2008 move .....

I know I've said it a bunch but his run as the Islander GM...yikes.  Outside of hiring Trotz and a couple of other moves it's really hard to praise much of what he's done there.  He seems to have taken a "This team isn't really all that great but let me lock up a lot of these guys anyway, what the hell?" approach.  

Maybe Sorokin somehow carries them deep into the playoffs.  I don't see how else they'll be able to make a run.  

1 minute ago, eaglejelly said:

Damn, didn’t hear a peep about him going there.  Best of luck Tomas!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaglejelly said:

One year, $1.5 million.  Guy is just too invisible in the playoffs to get much more at this point.  After this season, he may bounce around the league for a while, playing on bad teams...but at least he should still have some years left as an NHLer.

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One year, $1.5 million.  Guy is just too invisible in the playoffs to get much more at this point.  After this season, he may bounce around the league for a while, playing on bad teams...but at least he should still have some years left as an NHLer.

I honestly loved him during the playoffs. Not necessarily for his play, but he was essentially an extra bench coach

• Like 1
  • EvilHeart 1

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I honestly loved him during the playoffs. Not necessarily for his play, but he was essentially an extra bench coach

He's the kind of guy you sign to provide SOME offense though, come playoff time...and he just doesn't.

At one year $1.5 million, you can definitely live with it if he's not putting up points in the postseason (or is more of an "intangibles" guy).  When he was making $5.2 million AAV and $4.5 million AAV, the disappearing acts are a little harder to swallow.

Devils got a nice year out of him during the 2022-23 regular season, so no complaints or hard feelings.  He was brought here to be a veteran two-year stopgap for Holtz...now Toffoli will fill that role for 2023-24.  All good.

2 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

The only one I don't recognize is the guy in the plain black cap. I spy two Foote brothers on the right. Recent draft pick last year or this year? Can't put a name to the face. 

I think the dude in the black cap is Tyce Thompson.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

After the Giants destruction on sunday I am tempering my expectations a little bit, ooof. Looking forward to a season where the goal is to make the playoffs.

Man that freaking game.... they had no mental resilience after the 3 bad plays in a row in the red zone culminated by the scoop-and-score.

I was against Jones getting a show-me deal, but the fact they handed him $40m for a playoff win was mind-blowing.

I wish I could be world's okayest (insert career field here) and get paid as if I was top 5... so freaking stupid.