The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

46 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Someone that commented on that article wants Wood for 3.75mm for 5 years. Lollll

waynes world GIF

In fairness, it is only about five years too long and $18.75 million too much…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At times I got along with all three (I think most did, at times) and one in particular I seemed to get along with much better than most here...I never really had any issues with him.  Don't really have anything against them now that they're gone.  Seems like they've got their own thing going and if it's working for them, good.  

There was definitely a time where I absolutely went at it with certain posters, and sometimes it would get viciously heated to a detrimental point, with some (often unnecessary, looking back on it) insults being slung back and forth.  

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but it was as simple as I would make a hockey post and the comment from this guy was, "God, you're dull"............lol.........what?!?!

Just no getting around it, every single post I made he and the other one would somehow make it personal.

Good riddance, go away and never come back. Stick to your Devs threesome text group and leave us the hell alone. 

Now, let's look towards Nashville and snag one of those goalies, Saros or Askarov, not Hellybuck

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Now, let's look towards Nashville and snag one of those goalies, Saros or Askarov, not Hellybuck

You don't want to at least give Schmid a look next sesaon first?  Guy put up a .922 save% in the regular season and a .921 save% in the playoffs.  Small samples for sure, but giving him a shot won't cost the Devils anything in assets.  

Preds thought highly enough of Askarov to spend the 11OA pick on him in the 2020 draft and he's about to enter his Age 21 season after having made his NHL debut last season.  I'd be surprised if they're looking to move him.  

Depending on how Askarov fares, I can see the Preds being open to dealing Saros after this season, as he'll become a UFA after the 2024-25 season.  And depending on where the Devils are and how Schmid and VV perform next season...maybe the Devils consider that...but Saros is pretty damned good.  He's going to cost a lot to retain...and I get the feeling that Fitz is trying to avoid paying top dollar for any of his goalies, if at all possible.  Especially with Luke and Nemec to pay down the line.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I’d like to go into the season with Schmid and Vanecek, and let Brennan and Daws play in Utica to see if either of them show anything. I’d guess they should have a decent veteran 3rd who can hang out in the AHL too.

I really wish the NHL would find a way to stash a 3rd emergency goalie that is NHL caliber without having to worry about waivers

32 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I think with the core we're putting together, we really only need league-average goaltending. I think VV/Schmid are capable of that.

I don't think that you necessarily need superstar goaltending, but you do need guys who can step it up in the playoffs (Marty did this in three out of four runs to the SCF, winning three...in 2001, he simply was wildly inconsistent in the playoffs and was not good in the SCF at all).  I think VV won't hold the Devils back from regular season success, but the problem with him is that his game shows signs of going BACKWARDS come playoff time.  But to be fair not like he's had lots of opportunities, and I still like him a lot.

This being said re:  VV, I don't think he was brought here to be the guy to ride come playoff time...Fitz acquired him to be a better option than what was available to the Devils last season, and he absolutely was every bit that.  Schmid has established himself as a solid "Let's see what we got here" prospect.  Schmid DID show signs of being able to raise his game with higher stakes on the line in the playoffs...if he can become the kind of guy who can backstop his team to playoff wins, without the Devils having to pay a ton for a veteran who may not have many prime years left, or without having to trade away valuable assets...man it would be nice to see the Devils actually develop THEIR OWN GOALIE from within for a change.  Because since Brodeur goddamn has that well been dry as fvck.  All kidding aside, outside of Keith Kinkaid and Blackwood's first two seasons with the big club, how much have they gotten out of anyone else who's been through the system in recent years?  Hopefully Schmid and Brennan can actually break the trend.  Maybe Daws.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Not a surprise. He deserves an extension even if I don’t like some of his personnel decisions and sometimes I feel the team isn’t ready. Hard to argue with his results though. I’m assuming this is the end of Brunette if he gets any offers. 

Yeah ultimately I 100% believe if that the Devils win a Cup with the current crew, it will be with with a different HC.  But yeah, once you rattle off what the team did this year, you just don't see many HCs losing their jobs off a season like this one.  Also not like there's a bevy of "Wow!" candidates out there...lots o' retreads at the moment.

I expect Brunette to at least be in some teams' HC conversations.  Especially given the current lot of guys looking for jobs...he has a great chance to be hired elsewhere.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Interesting comment from Fitz. He’s always looking to improve things which is great 

Not sure what he would send the other way.  Unless he deals a future 1st + something else to get a 1st this year (maybe he sees something in the lower first that makes him want to jump back into this year's draft).

That being said, I'm def not expecting him to land a 2023 first-rounder...and that's OK.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not sure what he would send the other way.  Unless he deals a future 1st + something else to get a 1st this year (maybe he sees something in the lower first that makes him want to jump back into this year's draft).

That being said, I'm def not expecting him to land a 2023 first-rounder...and that's OK.  

Bratt talks breaking down could lead to a trade maybe? That’s all I could think of. Blackwoods rights certainly won’t bring back anything useful 

• Like 3

He was kind of alluding to the frame work for the bratt deal being laid out and both sides wanting to get the thing done. Stating bratt wants to be here and we want bratt here. I, for one am not completely sold to being married to the guy. If you can move him solo or in a package for something possibly better or better in anyway I’d certainly entertain all good offers 

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Bratt talks breaking down could lead to a trade maybe? That’s all I could think of. Blackwoods rights certainly won’t bring back anything useful 

I was thinking that but the team dealing for him would want probably want some assurance that he's going to stick around.  Good luck with that agent.

I get the feeling Blackwood doesn't even get an offer...there's just no room for him to stick around.  Fitz will relinquish Mac's RFA rights and he'll become a UFA who can sign wherever he wants.  Probably gets a one-year, $1 million show me deal.  Can't see him getting much more than that.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I get the feeling Zacha was one of those guys who simply wore out his welcome here...especially with Fitz.  If he can keep putting up 50-60 points with Boston, good for him...that was NEVER happening here.  Just wasn't.  That last season he couldn't have looked much more disinterested on the ice...I barely watched him this season, but we'll see if this was a "everything went right" season for him, or a legit, permanent step forward.

Really hope Haula isn't so snakebitten for so much of next season...think about it...73 games into this season, he had managed just 8 goals on a 5.6 shooting% (his career rate is 11.8%)...that's just insane bad luck.  He had his share of WTF moments during that drought, and it wouldn't surprise me if the sheer depths of that futility started to wear on him, as far as other aspects of his game go.  Would be great to see him come out flying...obviously he'll only score so many in a given season, but at least he won't keep wondering what the hell's in the water at the Rock.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Apparently fitz has also reached out to meiers agent, get this locked up long term asap so I can order a jersey, thanks 

Timo's agent:  We want more than Bratt

Bratt's agent:  We want more than Timo

Fitz will sort this out in time, but I don't envy him.  Especially given how difficult Bratt's camp has been.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Timo's agent:  We want more than Bratt

Bratt's agent:  We want more than Timo

Fitz will sort this out in time, but I don't envy him.  Especially given how difficult Bratt's camp has been.  

Yep I could imagine this being an issue behind closed doors. I think Meier is the better all around player. Bratt seems like he just wants to make as much money as possible and if that’s the case then this is really the place for him. 

Fitz was asked about... Something...I think who else young player he'd want to speak about, anyway his answer was Nolan Foote. Had a lot of praise for him and said they have big plans for him so I would guess Foote and Holtz will be the young guys getting called up.

I wonder where this means for Wood, Sharangovich, Tatar, and Lazar. Lazar is the guy I'd want to keep around.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Fitz was asked about... Something...I think who else young player he'd want to speak about, anyway his answer was Nolan Foote. Had a lot of praise for him and said they have big plans for him so I would guess Foote and Holtz will be the young guys getting called up.

I wonder where this means for Wood, Sharangovich, Tatar, and Lazar. Lazar is the guy I'd want to keep around.

Lazar provides next to nothing offensively. Tatar I can’t see coming back either, definitely don’t want wood back. 

3 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Yep I could imagine this being an issue behind closed doors. I think Meier is the better all around player. Bratt seems like he just wants to make as much money as possible and if that’s the case then this is really the place for him. 

FWIW, their last two seasons:

Meier (per 82 GP):  40 G, 35 A, 75 Pts, 4.21 SOG per game, 11.5 shooting%

Bratt (per 82 GP):  30 G, 46 A, 76 Pts, 2.59 SOG per game, 14.2 shooting%

Meier obviously takes a lot more penalties but given the difference in their games, that's to be expected.

They have very different skillsets, that's obvious, but I get the impression that even though he went several playoff games without putting up a point, Meier's overall game will translate better to the playoffs than Bratt's.  

• Like 2