Damon Severson to the Columbus Blue Jackets for 3rd Rnd

Devilsfan118

I'm amazed Fitz got a third round pick for a player that no one expected to be re-signing with the Devils. As for Severson, I'll miss the fantastic stretch passes he made to Jack and Bratt  but I won't miss the turnovers in the defensive end or his inability to ever clear the crease. I hope he does well in Columbus, unless they're playing the Devils, of course. Then I hope he plays like he did so often for us.

• Like 4

This is such an amazing move to get an asset for a pending UFA that had no chance of re-signing.

But with that said, I will definitely miss the guy a lot. He was a true Devil, and he showed it with his dedication to the team and his pure hatred for the Rangers. Despite his flaws, I was always glad he was part of this group. Unfortunately, it was time to move on for both sides, and both parties are in a better position now. Wishing him the best, we could see him find a new gear after a change of scenery.

Good for Damon that a team not only wanted to sign him long term, but wanted to ensure they could get that 8th year. People who said he was highly valued around the league were right. What's interesting about this is the Jackets have Werenski, Provorov, and Severson in their system now. I doubt there are Provorov is going anywhere any time soon, given that they recently traded for him. On top of this, the Jackets have two of the league's top defensive prospects in their system in Jiricek and Svozil. With Severson being both the oldest of this bunch and signed the longest, that's going to be a difficult situation for the Jackets once those young guys show they're top-4 material. This is something the Devils were smart to avoid.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nessus said:

This is such an amazing move to get an asset for a pending UFA that had no chance of re-signing.

But with that said, I will definitely miss the guy a lot. He was a true Devil, and he showed it with his dedication to the team and his pure hatred for the Rangers. Despite his flaws, I was always glad he was part of this group. Unfortunately, it was time to move on for both sides, and both parties are in a better position now. Wishing him the best, we could see him find a new gear after a change of scenery.

Good for Damon that a team not only wanted to sign him long term, but wanted to ensure they could get that 8th year. People who said he was highly valued around the league were right. What's interesting about this is the Jackets have Werenski, Provorov, and Severson in their system now. I doubt there are Provorov is going anywhere any time soon, given that they recently traded for him. On top of this, the Jackets have two of the league's top defensive prospects in their system in Jiricek and Svozil. With Severson being both the oldest of this bunch and signed the longest, that's going to be a difficult situation for the Jackets once those young guys show they're top-4 material. This is something the Devils were smart to avoid.

The decision to give Damon eight full years is bizarre to me for two reasons:

1) I have no idea who Columbus thought that they would have to bid against.  I get it, they didn't want to take any chances, they really wanted Seves, etc, but 8 years does feel like overkill in this case.  Feels a bit panicky.  

2) The sheer term makes him a lot less tradeable down the line.  At 5 years, even 6, once you're four years in and younger and cheaper (and better) guys are hopefully ready to take on Top 4 spots, a guy like Seves might have appeal to another team as a short-term and cost-controlled stopgap.  Going the full eight really hurts flexibility, especially if an already flawed player starts declining...and given Seves' age (this will be his Age 29 season), that is very much a possibility.

As far as 7 or 8 year deals go, I really like to save those for two kinds of players:  young kids who SHOULD give you plenty of productive prime years, even if you're taking a gamble on them reaching their full potential (like Jack and Nico), or for guys who do what they do really well and fill a very specific need, who regardless of what position they're playing or what line they're on, you have a very good idea of what they're going to bring you for the prime years that you signed them for...for example, a guy like Dougie, who obviously saw his first season derailed by injury, but in his second was everything we hoped for and more.  Hopefully he has three more years close to 2022-23.

The problem with Damon is that I'm not sure what he does so incredibly well that ya just gotta lock him up for max term...yes, we've seen the pretty stretch passes, the occasional nice goal (though of course not like he's some beastly goal-scorer for a defenseman...he's averaged 9 G per 82 GP over the past 6 seasons, having reached 11 goals twice), and sometimes he's been able to step his overall play, even showing some surprising physicality here and there.  Over the past 5 seasons, he's averaged 38 points per 82 GP, which is pretty good, but hardly amazing...and not really enough to offset the many gaffes that have been on display for his entire Devils career.

Given the level of talent in the Devils' system, I think the Devils are better off...Severson is well-off financially, so personally he's better off, but man, when the defensive mistakes start to pile up, I can see the BJ faithful starting to wonder "Did we really just sign this guy for eight years?!  He doesn't really seem all that good to me."

It's like I said...based on comments that I've seen around from BJ fans, I don't really get the impression they're THAT familiar with what Seves really is.  I think the kinds of mistakes that he's prone to AND the frequency with which they happen are going to come as a major shock to that fanbase.  We'll see if he can FINALLY start to smarten up and tighten up his game with a new team.  

16 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I'm amazed Fitz got a third round pick for a player that no one expected to be re-signing with the Devils. As for Severson, I'll miss the fantastic stretch passes he made to Jack and Bratt  but I won't miss the turnovers in the defensive end or his inability to ever clear the crease. I hope he does well in Columbus, unless they're playing the Devils, of course. Then I hope he plays like he did so often for us.

Not so amazing when you come to think of it.  The Devils have something that the other guy wants and is willing to pay for it.  If Severson hits the market, he has a lot of uncertainty for himself, while CMB is not guaranteed they will be getting his services with potential suitors out there on July 1st.   So, both Severson and CMB hedged against potential negative effects of the free agent market, with the NJD acting as a "broker" to ensure both got what they wanted before uncertainty hit.

No way Seves gets a max deal (legally) on the UFA market, or even gets a 7-year deal with AAV of 6+ million per.  While CMB could have lost out to "better suitors" like Vancouver in UFA, so they decided to reduce the risk and get it done.

Seves got the most money and most term.  CMB got to avoid other suitors "wooing" Severson with intangibles when UFA begins (better city, better teammates, low taxes...etc)

The 3rd round pick was simply a "broker fee" for Fitz and company.   While we all internally think Severson is overhyped and overrated, you would be surprised at how many teams want their hands on Severson and we don't know it.

I wouldn't be surprised if CMB didn't try to score Seves a few weeks before the deadline and were denied.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Given the level of talent in the Devils' system, I think the Devils are better off...Severson is well-off financially, so personally he's better off, but man, when the defensive mistakes start to pile up, I can see the BJ faithful starting to wonder "Did we really just sign this guy for eight years?!  He doesn't really seem all that good to me."

It's like I said...based on comments that I've seen around from BJ fans, I don't really get the impression they're THAT familiar with what Seves really is.  I think the kinds of mistakes that he's prone to AND the frequency with which they happen are going to come as a major shock to that fanbase.  We'll see if he can FINALLY start to smarten up and tighten up his game with a new team.  

This is another exhibit in the case against using advanced stats as the sole basis of making decisions. He's another advanced stats darling. People look at those numbers and his highlight reels and say "ha! we fleeced New Jersey for the second summer in a row, COPE!"

Severson had moments of being a solid player, hell even had me saying I wouldn't mind him back during the playoffs for a 1-2 year deal, but he was never going for that short of term.

He thinks offense first, but is a defender. As he worked his way down the pairings, he became more palatable due to the simple fact he didnt have the tough assignments nor minutes anymore. That's not exactly the type of player I personally want to throw 8 years and $6m+ per at. Those roles are for either kids developing or your workhorse vet making $3.5m or less, maybe $4m.

I hope for our sake they put him on the top pair, it'll really go a long way at keeping CBJ in the basement, regardless of all their WTF moves yet to come this summer.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jagknife said:

This is another exhibit in the case against using advanced stats as the sole basis of making decisions. He's another advanced stats darling. People look at those numbers and his highlight reels and say "ha! we fleeced New Jersey for the second summer in a row, COPE!"

Severson had moments of being a solid player, hell even had me saying I wouldn't mind him back during the playoffs for a 1-2 year deal, but he was never going for that short of term.

He thinks offense first, but is a defender. As he worked his way down the pairings, he became more palatable due to the simple fact he didnt have the tough assignments nor minutes anymore. That's not exactly the type of player I personally want to throw 8 years and $6m+ per at. Those roles are for either kids developing or your workhorse vet making $3.5m or less, maybe $4m.

I hope for our sake they put him on the top pair, it'll really go a long way at keeping CBJ in the basement, regardless of all their WTF moves yet to come this summer.

One can definitely put together a highlight reel that could make Seves look plenty electric, no question...he 100% had his moments (and you are right, metrics have always been kind to Seves).  One could also put together an even longer reel of all of his WTF brainfarts; add those up and that's how you get to be a -120 for your career.  Not fully on him but a good chunk of it absolutely was.    

On 6/11/2023 at 2:12 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  the bolded, c'mon...

Henrique was basically the same player with the Ducks that he was with the Devils; look up his numbers and you'll see that they're not drastically different.  Zacha did set career highs in goals, assists, and points in 2022-23, but in the shortened 2020-21 season he was on pace to put up the same number of points that he did this past season...so not like he NEVER did it here, but it just felt like he was never going to become a consistent force, as his final season here showed; maybe he can ttuly become that in Boston (well, to the tune of 50-60 points per 82 GP, which if I'm a Bruins fan I take that from Zacha with no complaints at all).

Noesen is four teams removed from the Devils...he put up a whopping 9 points in 48 GP over three seasons with the Pens (6 games), the Sharks (39 games), the Leafs (1 game), and the Canes (2 games), as well as playing a LOT of games in the AHL...he carved out a role for himself this year, but had also appeared to do that in 2017-18 with the Devils, and it's not like he left here and immediately tore it up once set "free".  Let me see him at least continue to stick.

It's OK if you like Seves and are genuinely sorry to see him go (though I get the feeling Hughes and Nemec will make you forget about him very quickly...Seves had simply become expendable), but not really fair to try to force an inaccurate narrative to prop him up; of the three names you presented, one didn't really get better or worse, another went to a stacked team where yes, he appears to have fit in well and may produce more than he did here, and the other had to scuffle for a while before turning in one solid season, for the first time since 2017-18.  Doesn't really line up with what you're trying to imply.

Fair enough.