Jesper Bratt SIGNED 8YR / $63 / $7.875 AAV

RunninWithTheDevil

28 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I would throw in a slightly used Sharangovich.  I'm sure they can sign him real cheap and that would be a good place for Yegor to jumpstart his career. 

...or if we're getting Colton and they need NHL ready players on ELCs, we could give them Foote back.      

What do you think Colton's worth is as a RFA?  I'm thinking around $3 million AAV...maybe a little more.

I feel like Timo's definitely getting done...according to Capfriendly, once Timo is signed, the Devils will have about $17-18 million to sign 9 more players (14 forwards, 7 defensemen, 2 goalies).

Nemec coming in on an ELC will help a ton (I think he's damned-near coming into preseason with a job to lose)...then it's about $16-17 million left for 8 players.  Sign Bahl to something in the $1.1 - 1.4 million AAV range, and that's 7 D under contract.  

Bastian should get a nice raise, but don't think he's making $2 million AAV.  Probably not too far off that though...maybe $1.75 million?

McLeod is probably right around $2 million AAV, maybe a little higher.

Boqvist should be a cheap keep...maybe $1.2 million AAV?  That's 10 forwards signed.

Does $2.5 million AAV for Haula keep him here?  I think it probably does...dude genuinely seems to want to stay.

Does Holtz get another shot right out of preseason?  That's a nice light ELC hit.  

Maybe they try to save a spot for ELC players Foote or Clarke, especially if Fitz doesn't try to re-sign Tatar.

Looks like the room should be there to add a guy like Colton.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What do you think Colton's worth is as a RFA?  I'm thinking around $3 million AAV...maybe a little more.

Looks like the room should be there to add a guy like Colton.  

I agree. I like what Colton brings, if we aren't going to bring back Wood or Tatar, I think he fits in perfectly. I'd say to bring him in to battle with Foote and Clarke for a bottom six spot in absence of Wood. He would fit in nicely alongside McLeod and Bastian. 

If Tuna is back, which I am 50/50 on. Maybe he really wants to try to go on a run with this group and he'll take 3.5-4M or something, but I could see some team throwing 4.5-6million at him. 

EDIT: Also there is going to have to be separate decisions/discussions made on two pairs players just based on rosters spots available.  

The Devils are going to have to pick between Sharangovich and Boquist, and then Mercer and Holtz. With Meier in the fold it pushed these guys down the depth chart further. Just based on what we think these players are going to become and their handedness I think they are going to have to essentially decide on these pairs because any one of them can play the right side if you have 

Bratt-Hischier-???
Meier-Hughes-???
Palat-Haula-???
?? -McLeod-Bastian

Sharangovich was the one who really felt the pinch when Meier came in, but he can play the right or center if needed. Same thing with Mercer so that extra versatility and depth is great. I think Mercer is a shoo-in for one of those spots with this years play. It's anybody's guess who ends up there by the time training camp comes and goes. I think Holtz has a higher ceiling than Sharangovich or Mercer, but Shar kind of is what he is at this point and Mercer was great to incredible all year long. 

There's basically a wall that the Devils are going to hit after signing Meier where they won't be able to offer/afford another long-term 7-9 million dollar contract without one of the bigger names coming off the cap. Especially if Holtz ends up getting to Mercer's point or better OR if Mercer sustains his current play and trajectory. Either of them could be 5-8 million dollars players. So it's going to be tight. 

And that doesn't even mention Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec and their massive deals.

Edited by RizzMB30

Also worth mentioning:  after next season, both Cory's and Kuokkanen's (remember him?) dead cap hits come off the books for good.  Only $250k in dead money for 2024-25 (the last year of Kovy's cap-recapture hit)...and then no more dead space.  Hopefully it stays that way for a long LONG time!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

I agree. I like what Colton brings, if we aren't going to bring back Wood or Tatar, I think he fits in perfectly. I'd say to bring him in to battle with Foote and Clarke for a bottom six spot in absence of Wood. He would fit in nicely alongside McLeod and Bastian. 

If Tuna is back, which I am 50/50 on. Maybe he really wants to try to go on a run with this group and he'll take 3.5-4M or something, but I could see some team throwing 4.5-6million at him. 

Can't see Tuna getting more than he got last season from anyone ($4.5 million).  It's more a question of hey Tomas, we'd love to have you back, but are you willing to be a part of this thing for $3 million?  If someone wants you for much more than that, we're simply not in a position to match.  

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Can't see Tuna getting more than he got last season from anyone ($4.5 million).  It's more a question of hey Tomas, we'd love to have you back, but are you willing to be a part of this thing for $3 million?  If someone wants you for much more than that, we're simply not in a position to match.  

I think some team will cream their pants to some of his highlights with the Hischier-Mercer line and give him 5+ million again. 

And that's why you're right. Like with Seves, we simply can't do much for him with the incoming youth, which is so great to be able to say. Fitz for president 2024. 

It makes it a lot easier to say goodbye to players when they are simply cap casualties. 

Edited by RizzMB30

I think CR76, you mentioned you see Meier coming in at 8.5. I think he gets 8-9 on the open market. What if by some wizardry, Fitz gets him to sign an identical deal to Bratter? That is a nice cushion compared to 8.5-9 million dollars. 

Fitz says we know you're worth 9 million, but if you want that salary, we have to come down on term to 5 or 6 years. If you take a 'Fitz-Bratter' special, we'll take you to 8 years. Basically saying we see you as equally integral to our success as Bratt or Hischier, or Hughes or Hammy for that matter. 

I only bring it up because I actually don't know how well Meier will hold up over 8 years. Years 7 and 8 could be kind of rough at 8.5 a year. I'd like 5-7 years similar to what you were hoping for with Bratt. Bratt's a little younger (and healthier generally) so I'm fine with 8 for him 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

If Fitz can get Colton that would be excellent. Not to mention, the guy has been a Devils fan his entire life and would be a maniac in the playoffs for that reason. 

Someone fill me in as to why Tampa would be letting him go? Is he due an extension?

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Someone fill me in as to why Tampa would be letting him go? Is he due an extension?

No cap space and he's an RFA. They need to get Killorn a conract who is probably worth about 3-6million? 

EDIT: That Sergachev contract is rough. Just betting on a lot that he's going to be worth more than Hedman. 

Per https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/lightning

Edited by RizzMB30

7 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

No cap space and he's an RFA. They need to get Killorn a conract who is probably worth about 3-6million? 

EDIT: That Sergachev contract is rough. Just betting on a lot that he's going to be worth more than Hedman. 

Per https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/lightning

Are they gonna sacrifice Colton to keep Killorn? Long term that doesn’t seem like the best move for Tampa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

I think CR76, you mentioned you see Meier coming in at 8.5. I think he gets 8-9 on the open market. What if by some wizardry, Fitz gets him to sign an identical deal to Bratter? That is a nice cushion compared to 8.5-9 million dollars. 

Fitz says we know you're worth 9 million, but if you want that salary, we have to come down on term to 5 or 6 years. If you take a 'Fitz-Bratter' special, we'll take you to 8 years. Basically saying we see you as equally integral to our success as Bratt or Hischier, or Hughes or Hammy for that matter. 

If Fitz gets Bratt AND Meier re-signed for less than $16 million AAV combined, then he's not just presidential material...I'd say he's primed for complete fvcking world domination heh heh.  

I really thought Meier's camp was going to be insistent on at LEAST $8.5 million (Hughes making $8 million AAV be damned), but now I think that there's a very good chance that it won't be that much.  

But yeah, it's basically very much a "You're not only a big part of this thing, but we're gonna have some flexibility because all of you are making reasonable money that will allow us to keep you all together, and maybe be able to add a key piece if we need to!" mantra.  Amazing what happens when you don't have one or two guys making $11+ million (with other guys wanting their "cut").  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I only bring it up because I actually don't know how well Meier will hold up over 8 years. Years 7 and 8 could be kind of rough at 8.5 a year. I'd like 5-7 years similar to what you were hoping for with Bratt. Bratt's a little younger (and healthier generally) so I'm fine with 8 for him 

I'm with you in that I don't necessarily believe 8 years for EVERYONE is a good thing.  Timo's right at that borderline age where I'd rather go 5-6 years for him, as opposed to 7-8.  But it seems like Fitz is ready to lock him up to another full-term deal.  I think at his age, you just hope you get five good years, and that the last few aren't ugly.

59 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Are they gonna sacrifice Colton to keep Killorn? Long term that doesn’t seem like the best move for Tampa.

Idk, you're right but Killorn is kind of a top 9 floater and Colton is a bottom sixer, who could play into the top 9 for sure. I think they keep Killorn on the fact he plays up the lineup more often and how long he's been there. Long-time vet for them and homegrown player.  Might be able to keep him for under market value because I imagine he wants to stay if possible. 

I think they could have kept Palat if they moved Killorn so I think that meant they kept Killorn for those reasons, right or wrong. Personally I prefer Palat and Colton to Killorn I think. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

EDIT: Also there is going to have to be separate decisions/discussions made on two pairs players just based on rosters spots available.  

The Devils are going to have to pick between Sharangovich and Boquist, and then Mercer and Holtz. With Meier in the fold it pushed these guys down the depth chart further. Just based on what we think these players are going to become and their handedness I think they are going to have to essentially decide on these pairs because any one of them can play the right side if you have 

Bratt-Hischier-???
Meier-Hughes-???
Palat-Haula-???
?? -McLeod-Bastian

Sharangovich was the one who really felt the pinch when Meier came in, but he can play the right or center if needed. Same thing with Mercer so that extra versatility and depth is great. I think Mercer is a shoo-in for one of those spots with this years play. It's anybody's guess who ends up there by the time training camp comes and goes. I think Holtz has a higher ceiling than Sharangovich or Mercer, but Shar kind of is what he is at this point and Mercer was great to incredible all year long. 

There's basically a wall that the Devils are going to hit after signing Meier where they won't be able to offer/afford another long-term 7-9 million dollar contract without one of the bigger names coming off the cap. Especially if Holtz ends up getting to Mercer's point or better OR if Mercer sustains his current play and trajectory. Either of them could be 5-8 million dollars players. So it's going to be tight. 

And that doesn't even mention Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec and their massive deals.

Didn't see all of the stuff you added in your edit.

re:  Holtz...let me see him do it.  Right now I can't pencil him in as anything more than a major question mark.  Doesn't mean that I'm fully writing him off, just that I need to see him play well enough with the big club to stick before I worry about his potentially having major cap implications.

If Dawson continues his uphill climb, I think Fitz will absolute try to keep him, cap juggling be damned...but without question, if that does happen, you'll see someone good traded to help alleviate the hit.  My first guess is that it will be Siegs who goes, with hopefully someone cheap from within (Vilen?) to replace him.  That's not to knock Siegs, as much as it is the reality that guys on relatively cheap deals who are good players are the ones who are relatively easy to move, especially since the team taking them on in obvious salary dump deals usually don't have to give up anything outside of a couple of draft picks, for someone who can help them immediately to boot. 

Right now the Devils have "only" $36 million in space for next season, which will decrease significantly once 1) Timo is re-upped of course, 2) Dawson is given a big raise (if he has a year similar to last year's, but better and more consistent, how does he not get at least $6 million AAV?), and of course if 3) Schmid plays well, how does he not get a nice bump?  Then it's a question of how many of the other guys who need to be signed this year are signed to multi-year contracts.  Depending on what happens, I can see Fitz unloading VV's hit after the 2023-24 season...with the hope that another young cheap goalie (Daws?  Brennan?) is ready to step in.  Such is the price that is paid to try to keep your best young core players together. 

• Like 1

Finally catching up after the severe weather last night and resulting outages at work today (we’re safe and sound, freaking foot of rain overnight and insane thunderstorms lasted what felt like forever)

I’m glad Bratt stayed. I was brutal on him cause I had doubts, but he clearly wants to be here.

Nico is unquestioned the leader, with Jack his right hand man. Bratt told him first. Awesome

i LOVE timo wants 8 years here. He cares, and he WANTS to be here.

just a few years ago we had to force trades of guys with term to get them here for a bit, now guys WANT to stay.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Finally catching up after the severe weather last night and resulting outages at work today (we’re safe and sound, freaking foot of rain overnight and insane thunderstorms lasted what felt like forever)

I’m glad Bratt stayed. I was brutal on him cause I had doubts, but he clearly wants to be here.

Nico is unquestioned the leader, with Jack his right hand man. Bratt told him first. Awesome

i LOVE timo wants 8 years here. He cares, and he WANTS to be here.

just a few years ago we had to force trades of guys with term to get them here for a bit, now guys WANT to stay.

One thing (among several) that Fitz has done very well is to sell the state of New Jersey itself…how it’s such a “hidden gem”, etc.  I think less and less players are thinking of where the Devils play as being some arena plunked in the middle of a ghetto surrounded by toxic waste.  There’s a lot of collective pride among a bunch of pretty damned good hockey players who, yeah, aren’t patiently biding their time until they earn their RFA rights…they’re staying and they WANT to stay.  It’s pretty friggin’ awesome to see.

• Like 1
  • EvilHeart 1

On 6/16/2023 at 5:58 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One thing (among several) that Fitz has done very well is to sell the state of New Jersey itself…how it’s such a “hidden gem”, etc.  I think less and less players are thinking of where the Devils play as being some arena plunked in the middle of a ghetto surrounded by toxic waste.  There’s a lot of collective pride among a bunch of pretty damned good hockey players who, yeah, aren’t patiently biding their time until they earn their RFA rights…they’re staying and they WANT to stay.  It’s pretty friggin’ awesome to see.

Agreed. I actually think New Jersey is a great state as far as things to do and nice areas to live. 

The taxes and traffic however are nightmarish. 

• Like 1