Timo re-signs, 8 years @ 8.8 mil per

DevilMinder

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

Hey @2ELIAS6 I never said I wasn't happy so piss off, excuse me for not sharing your opinion and the whole jesus christ thing. How many of those guys mentioned signed deals post covid in a flat cap era. Gaudreau was grossly overpaid almost comical at ~10M. Timo has had 1 40 goal season, a 35 and nothing else even close. So yeah I think the whole he took less is a narrative that is being overplayed. I also said I believe twice I was glad he stayed. I don't think he was getting a much better if an any better deal anywhere else with so few teams (especially contending teams) having that much money available and if they did not willing to give it to one player.  If he signed that deal somewhere else there would absolutely be guys here saying good luck with that.  But let's try this a little louder this time for the guys in the back, I'm glad he's here, still. 

He absolutely could have gotten more money if he didn’t want to go to a contending team. Even if we have him 300K more than what a lot of people wanted to see.. that is Pennie’s, and yes the cap is going up by 2025 .. if you think he was over paid get your fat head examined. 

Re:  Timo, based on the last five years (where I’d say he pretty much arrived), yeah, looking at this strictly through a forensic lens, he’s a little overpaid (32 G and 34 A per 82 GP…he’s thought of as being more productive that he’s actually been).  Based on his career to date, he’s probably worth more in the high $7 million range AAV.

But obviously he was going to get more than that, and $8.8 million AAV isn’t too bad when factoring in everything:  the Devils needing to retain a player that they gave up some considerable loot for, the fact that he had some leverage in that he could become a UFA after this year, and the fact that he brings a physical element that’s not in abundance on this team.  I definitely wouldn’t have him potentially be here for just one reason over $1 million AAV or so, that’s for sure.

I think Fitz’s goal was to keep him under $9 million AAV, and he did that.  So win-win for both sides.  If Timo can manage another 10 points per season here, his contract becomes that much better.

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I can’t seem to find a link at the moment but I do think it eventually came out that Grier did offer Timo a deal of 9+ that was rejected before putting him on the trade market.  If true, he technically did take less to stay in NJ.   

I remember seeing that reported as well. 

33 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

and the fact that he brings a physical element that’s not in abundance on this team.  

That’s the thing, he brings a lot more than just goal scoring. Dude was leading the team in hits for the playoffs through a bunch of games (not sure if he finished with the most or not). Anyone that watched the Rags series could see how much he got to Shesterkin. Can’t always go purely off glamour stats. Plus he was on an absolute dogsh!t Sharks team the last 4 years. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That’s the thing, he brings a lot more than just goal scoring. Dude was leading the team in hits for the playoffs through a bunch of games (not sure if he finished with the most or not). Anyone that watched the Rags series could see how much he got to Shesterkin. Can’t always go purely off glamour stats. Plus he was on an absolute dogsh!t Sharks team the last 4 years. 

That’s why I said strictly through a forensic lens, based on his career to date.  He was obviously going to get paid…if not by the Devils, than by another team in UFA…and yeah, quite probably for even more than he just signed for.  I have no issues with his contract at all.

45 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Without him there’s a real good chance we don’t beat the rangers in round one, he was a major difference maker. 

• Like 2