2023 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

The way Nemec has come to the preseason looking ready to play in the NHL reminds me a bit of the Ty Smith situation in 2019. In both cases, the player truly deserved the roster spot, but other factors (for Nemec, the Miller signing and having 1/3 of the defense rookies) have complicated things. 

Also, I'm not sure how Fitz is going to handle the 4th line this season. Between McLeod, Bastian, Lazar, Nosek, and Foote, two players will need to sit. Foote probably doesn't make the cut, even though Fitz has expressed how much he likes him. Does that make Bastian the odd man out? Pretty tough to choose which 3 remain in the starting lineup.

A couple of tough roster decisions for Fitz coming up.

28 minutes ago, nessus said:

The way Nemec has come to the preseason looking ready to play in the NHL reminds me a bit of the Ty Smith situation in 2019. In both cases, the player truly deserved the roster spot, but other factors (for Nemec, the Miller signing and having 1/3 of the defense rookies) have complicated things. 

Also, I'm not sure how Fitz is going to handle the 4th line this season. Between McLeod, Bastian, Lazar, Nosek, and Foote, two players will need to sit. Foote probably doesn't make the cut, even though Fitz has expressed how much he likes him. Does that make Bastian the odd man out? Pretty tough to choose which 3 remain in the starting lineup.

Im thinking we are looking at 

Meier-Hisch-Holtz/Mercer
Bratt-Hughes-Toffs
Palat-Haula-Mercer/Holtz
Foote-McLeod-Bastian

Lazar, Nosek

Ham & Swiss 
LHughes-Marino
Bahl-Miller

Smith

Vanny
Schmido

Thompson, Clarke and Nemec will be first call ups in case of injury. 
I am unimpressed with Tierney and Cal Foote. Send 'em down. Nosek was fine, NFooter is going to see PP2 time, and Lazar has been great as long as he stays healthy. 

I think that fourth line gives us a physical edge. 6'4"- 6'2"- 6'4" and all are not slouches when it comes to their skating. Lindy is going to like those boys.  

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, nessus said:

Makes me wonder if Fitz is concerned at all about Bastian's shoulder.

Fitz will have to make a very tough decision for the final spot on the fourth line.  I think Thompson and Foote are not waiver exempt. Maybe, Hotz goes to Utica to start the season and Thompson and Foote get a longer look at the NHL level?  Thompson on the third and Foote on the Fourth?  Mercer on Nico’s line?

Without being insanely out of my mind with this... But i guess sooner rather than later guys like Foote, Clarke, Nemec (and Misyul... I think he can be called if we need some muscle at some point and/or if Bahl disappear) ... Will be cut 

That will leave Holtz & Thompson with the big boyz (with Luke obviously) 

Just now, moustic said:

Without being insanely out of my mind with this... But i guess sooner rather than later guys like Foote, Clarke, Nemec (and Misyul... I think he can be called if we need some muscle at some point and/or if Bahl disappear) ... Will be cut 

That will leave Holtz & Thompson with the big boyz (with Luke obviously) 

I don't think Luke was ever a candidate to be sent to the AHL.

I said it in the GDT but yeah, I think Nemec now starts the season in Utica, with a chance to join the Devils at some point during this season.  Based on last night, I think asking a relatively raw just-turned-20 Luke and a 19-year-old Nemec to BOTH start the season with the big club is just too big of an ask.  That's OK; their collective time will come soon enough.  I never felt like Clarke or Misyul really fit the current team's plans.

Yeah feels like Holtz might indeed get another shot, in starting the season with the big club right from the get-go...hoping to see him play on Wed and Fri...at the very least, he clearly worked hard and came into preseason with the right approach.  Felt like Foote had an inside track on a spot based on Fitz's comments, but not sure that he did enough to earn it outright.  

• Like 3

I feel like Foote hasn't really improved since last year... He is good at best but stagnant. While Holtz & Thompson have show way more improvements ! That will not make them perfect NHL players right now but the curve is more promising with these two. 
I like the idea of of big body/big power forward with Foote but i don't see it right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, moustic said:

I feel like Foote hasn't really improved since last year... He is good at best but stagnant. While Holtz & Thompson have show way more improvements ! That will not make them perfect NHL players right now but the curve is more promising with these two. 
I like the idea of of big body/big power forward with Foote but i don't see it right now.

Fitz made it a point to talk about how well Foote had developed through the years.  Yeah I'm not sure how good he is or ever will be at the NHL level...I can't really say that I've seen much that has me yelling "That guy better make the team!"

Yeah guess will see what decisions are made in the next few days.

BTW Kallgren on waivers.  Obviously headed to Utica if he clears.

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Fitz made it a point to talk about how well Foote had developed through the years.  Yeah I'm not sure how good he is or ever will be at the NHL level...I can't really say that I've seen much that has me yelling "That guy better make the team!"

Yeah guess will see what decisions are made in the next few days.

BTW Kallgren on waivers.  Obviously headed to Utica if he clears.

Foote hasn't really blown me away personally either. I've been keeping a close eye on his deployment. He'll be fine on the fourth line and getting a bump in ice time such as PP2 time if there are any injuries. If he isn't reliable enough defensively, then we'll see Nosek or Lazar or maybe Tierney get his ice. 

It's go time. I want to see something from him next game. A good opportunity here or there or his line does a good job of hemming the other side in their d zone. He'll be with Graeme Clark and McLeod on a "2nd line" and that line needs to pop and dominate their matchups. The higher ups will be watching that line all game long. 

Edited by RizzMB30

5 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Foote hasn't really blown me away personally either. I've been keeping a close eye on his deployment. He'll be fine on the fourth line and getting a bump in ice time such as PP2 time if there are any injuries. If he isn't reliable enough defensively, then we'll see Nosek or Lazar or maybe Tierney get his ice. 

It's go time. I want to see something from him next game. A good opportunity here or there or his line does a good job of hemming the other side in their d zone. He'll be with Graeme Clark and McLeod on a "2nd line" and that line needs to pop and dominate their matchups. The higher ups will be watching that line all game long. 

Obviously it's preseason (which is a different beast) and it's a short sample, but in what's often amounted to "one scoring line and three fourth lines" being dressed in these games, it's been fun to watch the Devils score as much as they have.

But yeah, insane amount of lower-line depth on this team at the moment, battling for spots.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah about what I expected, considering who’s left.  Kinda felt like Clarke didn’t really do enough to stick around any longer…gotta start thinning out the 4th line herd at some point.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think Luke was ever a candidate to be sent to the AHL.

I said it in the GDT but yeah, I think Nemec now starts the season in Utica, with a chance to join the Devils at some point during this season.  Based on last night, I think asking a relatively raw just-turned-20 Luke and a 19-year-old Nemec to BOTH start the season with the big club is just too big of an ask.  That's OK; their collective time will come soon enough.  I never felt like Clarke or Misyul really fit the current team's plans.

Yeah feels like Holtz might indeed get another shot, in starting the season with the big club right from the get-go...hoping to see him play on Wed and Fri...at the very least, he clearly worked hard and came into preseason with the right approach.  Felt like Foote had an inside track on a spot based on Fitz's comments, but not sure that he did enough to earn it outright.  

I totally agree with the bolded comment. Not 100% sure Holtz is NHL ready yet, but he certainly looks like the rookie forward most likely to stick with the team, at the moment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I totally agree with the bolded comment. Not 100% sure Holtz is NHL ready yet, but he certainly looks like the rookie forward most likely to stick with the team, at the moment.

I feel like there's at least enough of a base with him to work with now, based on what I've seen so far...in prior seasons, I didn't even see that...I saw a guy who looked like he was flat-out not ready for the NHL at all and needed a lot of work and help, big shot or not.

If he ever slides back to looking like he did previously, that's going to be concerning.  At that point, depending on how Toffoli's performing, I might consider re-signing him to 2-3 years if he's willing to be reasonable.  

My stance on Holtz remains the same, in that whether he makes the team out of preseason, or is sent to Utica, I want him PLAYING, and getting decent minutes.  I've always been on board with having to earn ice time, but if Holtz makes the team and then gets nine minutes or so one game and scratched the next...what's the point?  I can't assume that him getting practice time with the big club and limited game time is going to ever pay off; it sure didn't last season.

Anyway, the forwards who are locked in:  Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Meier, Toffoli, Mercer, Haula, McLeod, Bastian, Palat

Two slots open.  I'm guessing Lazar or Nosek for the 4th line spot, and then Holtz for other spot.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lots of 4th-line depth to start the season.  Guess we’ll see if Haula’s able to start HIS season relatively soon.

OK Alex, you did enough to make the team, let’s see whatcha got!

The Nemec watch will be on…if he’s shredding it in Utica, can’t imagine the Devils will resist bringing him up before too too long.

• Like 1