2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

8 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think its dumb, it works in football because they literally tune in when teams are in the red zone where scoring is a real probability plus most NFL fans love it because of betting and fantasy football.

What is the NHL gonna do? Show every powerplay? Apple TV has also done a show all year with the MLS called MLS 360 and even scheduled most games to all be 7:30 their local time so they can bounce around but soccer is even harder than hockey in that there's no given moment like a powerplay when someone has a higher chance to score besides a penalty kick. 

Plus as a Devils fan first and foremost I'm watching our game vs watching other early season games from around the league. You can just watch nhl now on the nhl network and catch all the highlights later. 

Yeah I feel ya, the novelty will probably wear off eventually, if not immediately.  I wouldn't watch it all the time, but maybe once a year it's kinda cool to do, if nothing else than to try to create a little buzz and hype.  With all 32 teams playing on the same night, I do think there's a strong possibility they could bounce from game to gmsr showing Powerplays, games that are tied and heading to end of regulation, or games in OT/shootouts. 

18 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I feel ya, the novelty will probably wear off eventually, if not immediately.  I wouldn't watch it all the time, but maybe once a year it's kinda cool to do, if nothing else than to try to create a little buzz and hype.  With all 32 teams playing on the same night, I do think there's a strong possibility they could bounce from game to gmsr showing Powerplays, games that are tied and heading to end of regulation, or games in OT/shootouts. 

I think its worse that there are 6pm weeknight games, curious to see what that Washington crowd looks like at puck drop. 

17 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I give them credit for trying something new.  I have no idea if this will work or if it can ever be tweaked enough to make it work, but something to be said for at least considering new approaches.

The sport is in good shape, in that there's really a lot of young and exciting talent around the league.  Overall league save%s have been on the decline for a while (now in the low .900s overall...7-8 years ago, it was about .915), and goalies have even admitted it's because the shooters are simply getting better and tougher to stop.  That's good for the league, the fans, everyone, really.  As someone who watched hockey in the 80s, even though there were a LOT of meh goaltenders back then, it was fun when average teams were managing 3.5 GPG...even down 2-3 goals in the third period, you weren't necessarily done.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Toffoli is a better fit for this team and I’m glad that Fitz made the deal, but yeah, not rooting against Sharangovich in the slightest.

100%

I don't see a long career for Yegor.   Hope he's saving his money

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

100%

I don't see a long career for Yegor.   Hope he's saving his money

Agree, the 24-goal season bought him time and even another contract.  But even though he has a good shot and scores the occasional "Daaamn!" goal, he doesn't really bring enough otherwise.  I can see him having trouble catching on somewhere else after this deal expires after the 2024-25 season.  Maybe he goes back to the KHL.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I give them credit for trying something new.  I have no idea if this will work or if it can ever be tweaked enough to make it work, but something to be said for at least considering new approaches.

The sport is in good shape, in that there's really a lot of young and exciting talent around the league.  Overall league save%s have been on the decline for a while (now in the low .900s overall...7-8 years ago, it was about .915), and goalies have even admitted it's because the shooters are simply getting better and tougher to stop.  That's good for the league, the fans, everyone, really.  As someone who watched hockey in the 80s, even though there were a LOT of meh goaltenders back then, it was fun when average teams were managing 3.5 GPG...even down 2-3 goals in the third period, you weren't necessarily done.  

Yeah for one night, it’s fun! I’m actually looking forward to it lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree, the 24-goal season bought him time and even another contract.  But even though he has a good shot and scores the occasional "Daaamn!" goal, he doesn't really bring enough otherwise.  I can see him having trouble catching on somewhere else after this deal expires after the 2024-25 season.  Maybe he goes back to the KHL.  

He'd be way better than Holtz on the 3rd line.  Kills penalties, skates and can score goals. Just what we need there.  Maybe Holtz turns out to be something but Yegor already is a useful NHL player

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Feel like I’m missing something with this frozen frenzy.. only game they’re playing is caps Toronto 

I think it was Columbus that had a power outage and had their game moved back.   Should have started already.   I plan to check out ESPN2 during 1st intermission 

4 hours ago, Have Another Donut said:

He'd be way better than Holtz on the 3rd line.  Kills penalties, skates and can score goals. Just what we need there.  Maybe Holtz turns out to be something but Yegor already is a useful NHL player

Meh, Fitz was able to flip Yegor for a legit Top 6 forward.  And yeah, the Devils obviously want to find out about Holtz, and at the NHL level.  There wasn’t room for Sharangovich here, and keep in mind he also required a new contract.  I don’t think Fitz wanted to use any cap space on him.

Heh heh Isles give up two ENG to lose 7-4…they pulled Sorokin again after giving up the first ENG, then the Isles send a pass back in their offensive zone with no one able to get it…becomes an own-goal lmao. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Heh heh Isles give up two ENG to lose 7-4…they pulled Sorokin again after giving up the first ENG, then the Isles send a pass back in their offensive zone with no one able to get it…becomes an own-goal lmao. 

IMG_2828.gif

14 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I dont know if anyone else is watching the frenzy, it’s fvcking awesome, I love it and hope it becomes a thing !

I am and yeah, it’s working!  I’m likin it.

So Anaheim ties their game against the BJs late…guess who gave away the puck in his own end to get the BJs going.

Enjoy those eight years, Columbus faithful.